Conveyor project added to the collection

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
ddstoys

Conveyor project added to the collection

Post by ddstoys »

Well it's been on the wanted list forever but never even seen one for sale.

I spotted the internals in the background of a photo I was sent with another machine I was buying (Madam X napping fortune teller). I asked the owner and struck a deal. It's definitely missing parts but what, I'm not 100% sure, but I bet you fellas will be able to help me out once I get to it.

Here's my starting point. There are other parts as well. There a motor, the coin chute and a few other mechanical pieces.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.png
gameswat

Re: Conveyor project added to the collection

Post by gameswat »

Dan, great machine to find anywhere, let alone Aust. Pity not the whole thing. Those playfields are silk screened over steel so they often behave badly when poorly stored. The first two I found had quite badly rusted playfields. But if you follow this link to earlier posts you'll see what can be done to clean them up if you're careful. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=962&hilit=conveyor

Which reminds me I was just about to post a query anyway regarding the marquee glass for these. My third machine is by far the best condition yet, except for the shattered name glass thanks to UPS. Has anybody here already gone to the trouble of making the relevant silk screens to repro the glass? The first two machines had flaked glasses that I was able to restore. And then this one looked fantastic when I purchased............ :cry:
Attachments
conveyor glass cracked.jpg
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Shame about that glass mate. But a great question I'd be interested in a glass if there out there
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Download that one.
Then clean it up, you don't need any fancy editing programs. You could do it with Microsoft Paint which comes with all Windows operating systems.
If you're not using Windows then download "Gimp" for free and use that.
By taking a sample of the colours in the photo you can duplicate them near as dammit.

Then either take it to Staples for printing off or use your own inkjet printer and either put it on a transfer or a OHP acetate. :cool:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I'll end up making my own screens and inking a few anyway as the machine is worth it, so you'll be sorted Dan. And obviously no rush for you which gives me time to lounge around and do nothing. !SOFA!
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Yeah I'm not the fastest with my projects
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I had a Conveyor for nearly 20 years, before it got finished ........ by someone else.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

badpenny wrote:I had a Conveyor for nearly 20 years, before it got finished ........ by someone else.
!WHISTLES!
gameswat

Conveyor restoration

Post by gameswat »

Topic split, moved & merged - Site Admin.

DDSTOYS was just asking me about restoring his rusty Conveyor playfield using my hydrochloric acid method and was a little perturbed by that. Well dragged out these old pics showing the process and my success with it. After using hydro acid to remove any rust or staining you must neutralise instantly with water, but the water will promptly start new rusting, so then liberally apply a clear rust convertor to stabilize and you'll have fresh shiny metal once dried ready for paint.
Note that some of these photos were taken with flash and some without so colouring looks different but no fading occurred using the acid.
Attachments
As found untouched.
As found untouched.
Playfield cleaned with detergent and rag.
Playfield cleaned with detergent and rag.
After careful wiping down with Hydrochloric acid on a rag and treated with rust convertor to stabilize.
After careful wiping down with Hydrochloric acid on a rag and treated with rust convertor to stabilize.
Pitted instruction area sanded ready to paint.
Pitted instruction area sanded ready to paint.
Faded blue sky replaced and other small touchups, but no instruction art.
Faded blue sky replaced and other small touchups, but no instruction art.
Instruction are replaced and finished ready to reassemble.
Instruction are replaced and finished ready to reassemble.
The yellow,purple and red artwork was sprayed on to exactly match the colours, then black lettering on clear decal paper was laid over that.
The yellow,purple and red artwork was sprayed on to exactly match the colours, then black lettering on clear decal paper was laid over that.
gameswat

Re: What is your dream machine?

Post by gameswat »

PM, maybe all this info needs to be under the Conveyor heading?

Done - PM !VICTORY!
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Thanks again Rory your help and knowledge is overwhelming.

I had a play today with some hydrocloric acid on an old pinball apron and pretty happy how it works was pretty nervous that's for sure specially when it dropped onthe concrete and fizzed like in the movies hahahah
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Cool Dan. The acid works quicker when you keep replenishing on the rusty areas so rubbing with a rag or brush is good. On rusty metal surfaces without paint I often use coarse steel wool to speed up the action. Though usually metal I get is totally rusted so I'll just drop the whole part in a bucket full of acid and leave it to do the work with a little agitation.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

That is a cool job done, looks like new. Was it just the blue repainted, must have taken ages to mask off.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Tree, this was a while ago so I'm slightly vaguer than normal......I was experimenting with techniques on this one and actually hand painted the blue to keep some imperfections and match in with the rest of the slightly weathered silkscreened ink. The rest of it just needed the odd touch up where it was fading away. Before retouching I sprayed a very thin coat of clear lacquer over it to stabilize and that brightened all the colours no end. I've learnt the hard way about this after re-touching things and clear afterwards only to have the original colours change enough that I've had to re-re-touch my handiwork! :o :cry: