Oakford Park Arcade

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
sweetmeats

Oakford Park Arcade

Post by sweetmeats »

Found this rather nice postcard on American ebay obviously was missed by the locals as sold at the opening bid of $15. The machine on the left is a " blow machine" these had a short life as they caused the spread of TB ! There was a similar machine to this sold in a resent Vagas sale but after a quick look could not find it. Will add later if/when I locate it.
arcade postcard 2.png

bryans fan

Re: Oakford Park Arcade

Post by bryans fan »

Nice Find!
!THUMBS!
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

'Blow machine'? Those were the days!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Oakford Park holds a unique place in the history of theme parks (or attractions as they were called in those days). I don't think it was all owned by one company but more a confined group of separate attractions. I believe it was a seasonal site and very successful from the 1920s. It owes its place in theme park history for being the first park anywhere in the world to open a swimming pool within the park. The pool was huge and became the main attraction. The whole set up is long gone now but being out of town the ruins of the swimming pool are still there.

oakford park.jpg

ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

What a great postcard but what a sad video. Things like that really frustrate me. So many cool old things just left to rot. I'd kill for even a shitty old warehouse in my price range to set up my games for people to play but sadly I'd have to sell my house 3 or 4 times to buy even a tiny shop front in a shit part of town, even though half the town is an empty ghost town. lol