The Oval Auto Cricket Pintable

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
pennymachines
Site Admin

The Oval Auto Cricket Pintable

Post by pennymachines »

Does anyone know anything about this pintable which went through House & Son auctions this afternoon?
Looks kind of interesting.
I only spotted it this morning but the nice lady made it clear that I shouldn't have phoned because they were busy running an auction and I certainly couldn't bid on it. :roll:
An early 20th Century pinball game 'The Oval' auto cricket modelled as a cricket pitch, the top with painted cricketers, penny in slot operated, on four wooden legs - 35 1/2in. x 20 3/4in.
Attachments
oval1.jpg
oval-2.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Oval Pintable

Post by badpenny »

Some auction houses have a strange approach to looking after their customers don't they?
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

I had the same problem, registered to bid online paying an extra 3% on top of the buyer's premium for the privilege, last night, only to find the cut off date was earlier, so rang this morning to leave a bid, no chance as there was no time to do the paperwork!
Attachments
3.jpg
unnamed.jpg
2.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thanks for posting the photos guys. For a second I got very excited that is was a mannequin game like the GM Labs Soccer, but just great deceptively good paint work so sadly not in the same league.......... :lol: I wish the steel flipper had been better integrated to somehow look like an actual bat.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'm guessing it's British-made because of the theme. The top metal frame looks a bit ugly - I wonder if it was added later. Dave's pictures give a better idea of how it plays. The graphics are exceptional and give a very 3D effect, as you say GM.

The cut-off time for bidding was 4.30, day before. I suspect Dave or I would not have taken it home even if we had managed to bid. Hammer £680.
The next lot described as, "a small Art Deco coin operated bagatelle pin ball machine, in an oak case", may have been by the same maker, judging by the unusual screen-printed top-glass and similar ball release knob. It sold for a more modest £65.
Attachments
House-Son-270.jpg