Found this Allwin in Vermont!

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
paccii

Found this Allwin in Vermont!

Post by paccii »

Hello all. Not sure how this machine ended up in Vermont of all places, but I found it, and now I'm obsessed to find out everything I can about it and restore it properly. I know it's an Allwin, but who manufactured it and when would be great to know. I thought it might be a Bryans Fivewin at first, but now I suspect it could be a Saxony. It's in semi working condition, mostly needs a good cleaning and lubricating. Can anyone help me identify this machine and it's origins? Thanks!
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600-(2)a.jpg
s-l1600-(3)a.jpg
s-l1600-(4)a.jpg
s-l1600-(5)a.jpg
s-l1600-(6)a.jpg
s-l1600-(7)a.jpg
s-l1600-(8)a.jpg
s-l1600-(9)a.jpg
treefrog

Re: Found this Allwin in Vermont!

Post by treefrog »

Welcome to the site and you have guessed right it is a Saxony Allwin made in Germany for the British market of which there may have been more than one manufacturer, probably 1920s or '30s. Has a later backflash looks like plastic, probably revamped in the 1960s. Also see a jubilee clip around the coin hopper, so not sure if this has been changed to a smaller coin for your location, but should be on the old British penny.

Lovely looking case with great quarter sawn oak patination.

See link below which will give some history and suggested manufacturers of these for your perusal.

Seven mysteries of the Saxony allwin
scottie

Post by scottie »

Hi Paccii and welcome
This machine was on ebay a few weeks ago. The guy selling it was in California and had two machines for sale this one and a Wondermatic Nine Pin. So somehow it's made its way to Vermont....
The reason I know this is I bought the Nine Pin.

Scottie
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I think the metal surround on the win/lose rack is from a Ruffler & Walker allwin (or a copy of one). It usually had a R&W logo in it or a shiny old penny inserted in it.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Paul,

These Allwins pre-date R&W and other companies copied this style as well, like Wonders. The Saxony machines would often have embossed badges in them, follow the link.
paccii

Post by paccii »

Thank you all. Great information, I really appreciate it. I've started to restore the machine bit by bit this week and I would say functionally I'm 90% of the way there. Some 3-in-1 spray has certainly helped. The trickiest bit has been the gear wheel that releases the ball when a coin is inserted. Perhaps it's the wear over the years but it doesn't always work, and sometimes when it does it gets stuck in the open position which makes all 'lose' balls come right back out. Has anyone else encountered a similar issue? I've attached a picture.

Also, I've started to notice a few markings on the back. In several places I've found "46" written in pen or pencil, and on the back of the door the number 88 is engraved in 2 places. Is this any indication of date, or perhaps something else like a model or serial number? I've attached pictures below. Thanks!

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The spring on your ball release mechanism is stretched so the upper fork of the double pawl doesn't push the ratchet wheel around to its next position. It should be replaced with a suitabe light spring. Sometimes the angle of the lever tip which catches the coin needs adjustment.

The design of this part was patented by Rudolf Walter in 1914. PAT. No. GB191329915 describes its working in full.
Later allwins adopted a simpler, less exacting mechanism.