Shefras Shares allwin

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Shefras Shares allwin

Post by pennymachines »

I just watched this Shares allwin sell on ebay, but resisted temptation to bid. It caught my eye as a game I'd not seen before. Clearly a late example from the Shefras stable, with its low-budget veneered ply cabinet and absence of graphic merit. Both Shefras and Wonders produced a handful of new games just before giving up the ghost. Their rarity must be a measure of how few were sold.

"EACH WIN PAYS 2 TO 12, YOU MUST WIN 2D ...YOU MAY WIN 12D", and all numbers from 2 - 12 appear around the playfield, suggesting the game will sometimes pay each of these amounts.
The mechanism doesn't seem to have enough gubbins to make this work, although there are two hoppers, the first large enough to permit 12 coin payouts. These, it would appear, are triggered by a single turn of the handle.
I'm intrigued - maybe the new owner will come forward and explain.
Attachments
Shares.jpg
Shares-2.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Shares allwin

Post by pennymachines »

OK, I think I figured it out...

There is a conventional single coin slide which pushes two pennies from the tall hopper (hence the 2D guaranteed payout). At the same time, under the short hopper, the slide allows all the pennies to drop through.

Because this hopper only receives coins when the tall one is full, it may hold anything from zero to 10 pennies.

Payouts self-regulate: regular wins prevent the small hopper from accumulating more than a few coins. Still, after a win, it would take 13 successive loses before a coin reaches the machine's cashbox. :o
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Righty ho, I can throw some light on this.

I restored this particular machine 10 or 12 years ago. I don't recall where I got it from but the veneer surrounding on the front was atrocious, badly gouged and scratched.
So I cut another front from ply and attached it.
I added the brass fitting around the key hole, it's nothing to do with slot machines in fact it's a farmer's livestock tag.
Apologies about that, but I liked it and thought it looked ok, what the hell was I thinking?

As for the pay out yes it did randomly pay anything from 2d - 12d. Because both tubes are operated by the same slide.
Every time the handle is turned it dumps the contents of both tubes every time. You'll get the amount that has accumulated since the last time it paid out. I think the statement you have to win at least 2d was a lie, for if both tubes had just discharged and the next play also won, you'd only get the penny used for that play. However I've moved house/partner a few times since then, so would also be interested if the new owner comes forward to confirm or deny that.

I'm not revealing details about my sale of it as it was a frustrating experience. The person who bought it ignored the fact I said it was collection only and I would not courier! He won the auction and then told me to post it to his house 60+ miles away. Being a mug I offered to hand deliver it to a friend who lived in the centre of a city only 8 miles away from him, where he could collect it from. His response was rude and scornful, something to do with he never went near that 5h1t hole. So I stuck a large posting fee on it and sent it via Parcelfarce. He wasn't happy but coughed up.
He then told me that they had smashed it to smithereens and it was junked. I told him the risk was his as I had originally said "No postage, collection only" I gave him details of the Parcelforce contract and told him to claim from them if he could.
He huffed and fuffed for a while moaning he'd lost his money and only had firewood to show for it. Eventually he went away.
So imagine my astonishment to see it today on here, looking pretty intact to my tired old peepers.
I'm not surprised really, I vowed never to talk let alone do business from this supposed collector He's still around and I've stuck to my promise.

Good to see it survived though. !!THUMBSX2!!

Edited to add, that I did not see it's recent appearance on eBay and not only am I not suggesting for a second that the current vendor was the person I sold it to. In fact I should be amazed if it were, as back then he was selling on after a short period and rarely kept anything more than a few weeks.
brigham

Post by brigham »

I would guess that the machine originally paid 2d out of the tall tube, rather than dump the whole column. It looks long enough to take about 10/- worth, which would eliminate the likelihood of it running short.
Other than that, the layout looks simple and ingenious, which is the hallmark of allwin design.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

brigham wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:08 am It looks long enough to take about 10/- worth, which would eliminate the likelihood of it running short.
Other than that, the layout looks simple and ingenious, which is the hallmark of allwin design.
Ten bob's worth!
Are you serious? That's 120 coins, 8"
As it happens, of course taking 2d off the first tube makes sense and the additional random amount by emptying the second.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, I think it has to work this way. If it was dumping all coins from both tubes it would never earn a bean for the operator. I still think, paying 2D from hopper 1 and all coins from hopper 2, would amount to a very liberal return for the player. The six-win gallery is common to several Shefras allwins (Extrawin, Crackerjack, Time Limit, etc.) and only a moderately difficult target.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I didn't find winning often was easy and when you did it was often only 2-4 just like a conventional allwin.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Well, when you came to sell it, you should have offered it to a reputable collector. !WINK!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I did, and not a single one of you was interested.
Hence my breaking a rule of a lifetime and going through the evil that is eBay.

Never again. :cool:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Oh, well I have no memory of seeing it before yesterday. !PUZZLED!
Maybe my failing memory, but I try to keep tabs on all these little weird and wonderful wall machines, if only by saving a picture on the old hard drive.
Currently I have 16 Morris Shefras wall machines on file - not all of them allwins.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Great eBay story BP. I was hoping for just a tad more, say a cryptic clue on the 'collector' who originally bought it from you, especially if still around now! !!HIDING!!
Now that my Ellery Queen box set has run out it would help to brighten up the day.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Shefras Shares allwin

Post by badpenny »

It would have been the same time you agreed to pay Moderators a bonus.
You'll be saying next you don't remember that either! :#:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'll hand deliver it to Coventry - I've heard bad things about Parcelforce. !WINK!
burrows

Post by burrows »

As the new owner of the Shares Allwin I can now confirm that both 'Penny Machines & Bad Penny' are correct in their explanation of how the machine operates and pays out. The first coin tube holds 41 old pennies and the second holds 10. Starting with two full coin tubes and without adding any further coins to trigger the gameplay/win, the first winning collection pays 12 pennies to the player and 2d to the cashbox. It then continues to pay 2d to both the player and the cashbox each win thereafter until the primary tube is empty. The last remaining penny goes to the player.
Depending on how skilful or lucky you are and the amount of plays without having a winning ball determines the amount paid from the smaller coin tube.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: to the site and thanks for the description.
So I undertand that on the first win, ten coins are paid from the small tube and two from the large tube, but where do the two coins delivered to the cash box come from?
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Could it be some sort of pull and push action of the payout slide? eg an extra hole in the slide,paying 2 on the pull,2 coins dropping to fill the the other hole and pushing them into the cash box on the return stroke? !PUZZLED!
burrows

Post by burrows »

The first tuppence is delivered to the player from the primary coin tube via the slide set beneath it, as it is pulled by the mechanism one way, then as the spring returns the slide back again to its original position it pushes a further tuppence into the cashbox directed by a tin chute.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

So like 13rebel suggested, the pull and push of that slide pays 2D to the player and operator. I think it's clever how it's all done with nothing more elaborate than a double hopper.
brigham

Post by brigham »

It is certainly ingenious. Had it been devised earlier in the day, I'm sure many more machines would have used the principle.
In the 'sixties, we would have been hard pushed to follow what was going on, although counting the number of plays without a win would have given us some advantage.
That was the thing in those days; knowing a bit more than the average punter.
burrows

Post by burrows »

Here's a couple of pictures of the Shares machine now following a little TLC.
Attachments
IMG_20171220_133231253.jpg