Haworth's of Blackpool

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Haworth's of Blackpool

Post by pennymachines »

I bought the Winaway Pool wall machine (see Museum) at the Elephant House last year and have been trying to find out more about it.

winaway.jpg

It appears on page 85 of Paul Braithwaite's authoritative Arcades & Slot Machines, wrongly attributed to "one of the Brenner companies". I believed this to be correct, until acquiring the game, because it does appear to have something in common with Bernard Brenner's Ball Past the Arrow machine. But it's really only the style of the cabinet which gives this impression (it also seems to be painted black in the pictured example). Actually, for once, the maker's name is boldly cast on the front, "Haworth's of Blackpool". It's unusual these days to come across an early manufacturer of British amusement machines about whom I know nothing.

haworths.jpg

Paul's book does in fact reference T Haworth of Blackpool:
Claimed to have repute for originality and workmanship. A new non-slot game by this mechanical and electrical engineer brought forth the statement that he had over 10 years experience in manufacture of this nature.
and lists Acrodarts, Amazing Televisor, Laughing Clown and Winaway (World's Fair 11/04/31 & 15/04/39).

I was able to find five patents filed by Thomas Haworth of 23 Westcliffe Drive and Layton Road, Blackpool, the last of which was 1935. They're for various fairground amusement games involving targets and shooting.

179418.gif

Apart from the Laughing Clown, all of his coin-operated games are listed in the 1939 edition of World's Fair. It would appear that Thomas was just hitting his stride in the coin-op field at this time, when of course war broke out. Sadly that seems to be the end of the company and one must wonder whether Thomas survived the war.

Through the miracle of the internet, "Haworth Blackpool" brought me to the website of Haworth's Prize Bingo on Blackpool seafront. Bingo!
Well, not quite. Alan Haworth informs me that "no, I too have never heard of Thomas Haworth, and we have been in Blackpool over 40 years".

It can be frustrating when the trail goes cold, but by the same token, very rewarding when you have a breakthrough. Anyone got any ideas where to look next?
moonriver

Re: Haworth's of Blackpool

Post by moonriver »

Very interesting challenge. I remember liking the Winaway as soon as I saw it.
I have an original plaster Haworth laughing clown game and some paperwork that states the maker as H. Haworth, 638 Lytham Road, Blackpool. Patent 366761. Reg 762430. So maybe another address to research.
Apparently they were £9 each ( min order 6) carriage paid anywhere in Great Britain.....Bargain!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That's a cool thing to have. The patent is here

clown1.gif

I already tried to research that address. A young Haworth within striking distance was fined recently for drink driving. The defence said he was depressed because his parents had emigrated to Florida. Yep, the trail's gone cold. :-(
An early 20th century plaster fairground 'Laughing Clown' ball toss game, original plaster , with cast iron mechanicals. His head turns from side to side, complete with balls. H80cm x W56cm x D77cmH80cm x W56cm x D77cm.
Attachments
Fairground-clowna.jpg
Fairground-clowna.jpg (81.22 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Fairground-clown2a.jpg
Fairground-clown2a.jpg (85.31 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Fairground-clown1a.jpg
Fairground-clown1a.jpg (56.38 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Fairground-clown4.jpg
Fairground-clown4.jpg (90.77 KiB) Viewed 150 times
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Florida? Maybe they've joined the Republicans at Mar a Lago? I'll keep an eye out for them on this side of the pond.

J Peterson
Private eye, USA !LOOK!