Sweetmeats postcards

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
bryans fan

Re: Sweetmeats postcards

Post by bryans fan »

Many thanks to Sweetmeats for sharing some fantastic images. It is great to see machines "on Location" and such a great diversity.

I had not realised that the Racer was available as a floor standing machine. I had only been aware of the counter top version. Great to share these images, every day is a school day! Lovely card.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I was trying to find an image of an Essex Racer when Gameswat posted the Greyhound 2 player Race in the USA a few days ago. The picket fencing, linear course and turning handles all seem to match. Compare and contrast:
Attachments
racer2.jpg
racer1.jpg
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Here are two Images from my collection.

The first is a photo and has Southport 1928 written in pencil on the rear.

southport 1928012.jpg

The second is a post card with no info. I am guessing Hastings Pier, as its similar to other images I have saved from the net.

Pier Group poss Hastings013.jpg

The last two are images I have saved from the net. No idea where I got them!
Attachments
Herne Bay.jpg
Lady with Umbrella next to Horse Race Cast iron..jpg
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Great! Thanks BF.
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

Following bryans fan's additions I have had another sort through my postcards and offer the following cards that I hope to be of interest.

Firstly a couple of chocolate venders including a rarely seen Peter's Swiss milk chocolate.

1.jpg

2.jpg

The back of the postcard is marked Folkestone, no date.

Here are four of the twelve Hastings pier cards I still own. I let several of these go to a collector in the USA. Also a postcard outside a soda bar in New York showing a Beverly twister similar to the star lot in the Smith sale. I have seen another half a dozen of these cards showing Mills owl lifter, cast iron golfer and Palmers Racer. In fact I have seen Hastings postcards with a Palmers Racer in five different locations! These photos all seem to have been taken by a professional man who took group pictures by the pavilion regrettably most show a preference for people to machines!

There are a number of unusual machines not seen by me on any other location. Does anyone have an idea what the wall machine is that looks like rock-face in a simulated brick case? The fortune teller looks to be a converted USA poker machine, but I have been told that a fortune teller in a similar case was made in the USA. I have been unable to find an illustration. This machine is on 1/2 penny, play.
Attachments
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

That's a Mills Jumbo Success Fortune Teller, and yes based on the card machine. You can actually see the Mills decal on the side the photo is so good.
Attachments
jumbo.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Gameswat. You let a wolf sleep on top of your footballer? Naughty, naughty. :tut

J Peterson
Game Control, USA
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I wonder if this photographer made a living taking photos of Charabanc day trip groups. four of the photos have between 50 and 54 people in them and one 20. The standard pre WW1 Charabanc had a capacity of 24/28. The close proximity of the people to each other would hint they at least know each other and the "Sunday best" clothes would hint at a special occasion. As usual, no one is smiling, probably for the same reason the Mona Lisa isn't really smiling. :lol: (note the smiley )
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

Have added a close up enlargement of the Mills fortune teller above Mills Fortune Teller and below fortunes For Ladies.
img20180205_16184239.jpg
img20180205_16184239.jpg (47.29 KiB) Viewed 5751 times

bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

It would appear the place to go for mutoscopes was Barry Island!

Barry Island slots in front of Refreshment Rooms.bmp

sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

To follow on regarding the "Lord George Clowes" postcard and the suggestion that Treefrog made that it may have been New Brighton not Brighton Sussex. This was right, I have now found a postcard showing exactly where the framework supporting the machines was located.
Attachments
s-l1600a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Defiantly not the palm court bar at the Savoy but it does appear to have a corrugated iron En suite bathroom in the rear and only one cracked spittoon , My first thought was not what are the machines on the bar but did the photographer get out alive,the clientele dont look best pleased to be photographed .

The blurb identifies the the machines as a Caille Base Ball trade stim and the more recognizable Mills "Operators bell" (Iron case). This photo is dated 1917,interestingly another photo taken 10 years later of the same bar during Prohibition shows a much smarter bar,the Caille machine still on the bar and the spittoons in exactly the same positions ,whether they had been emptied in the intervening 10 years is unknown!
1917 bar.jpg

john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

You know it's time to pay the tab and go home after you step in the spit bowl the second time. !!CHEERS!!

J Peterson
Bowling for dollars in America
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

I’m not sure Sweetmeats that the Lord George Clowes photo and the photo immediately above are of the same location because the promenade railings behind the top row of machines are very different from those in the above photo. In the Lord George photo they have a filigree leaf pattern running between the lower rails but on the second photo the rails have just diagonal bars with a circular shape where the bars cross.

I’m pretty sure that the photo above is of Brighton, Sussex, taken late 1800's. The photographer is standing on the semi-circular projection from the promenade where the Beach Hut kiosk now stands opposite the Odeon cinema. The photograph is taken looking towards the West Pier which had at that time two square buildings adjacent to the promenade and two pavilion style buildings on the pier near the landward end.

It seems good business sense for slot machine traders to sell their machines direct from seaside promenades, I wonder, did they all do this or was this exclusive to Lord George?

John
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Its defiantly Brighton Sussex,as you say the railings are correct and there are exactly the same number of arches between the "high Stand" where the photo was taken and the stairwell. the photo below is as close as Ive got to hand although as I live there I might take a walk along and take the same shot (if it stops snowing) Jerry's arcade is just a 5 min walk back from the photographer.

brighton.jpg

sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

The postcard I posted was sent to me with comment that it was NEW Brighton I am afraid I did not check before posting. I now see it is definitely Sussex Brighton sorry.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Another Cricketer postcard from the ol' hard-drive.
Attachments
011_030.jpg