Sweetmeats postcards

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
sweetmeats

Re: Sweetmeats postcards

Post by sweetmeats »

To follow on regarding the "Lord George Clowes" postcard and the suggestion that Treefrog made that it may have been New Brighton not Brighton Sussex. This was right, I have now found a postcard showing exactly where the framework supporting the machines was located.
Attachments
s-l1600a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Defiantly not the palm court bar at the Savoy but it does appear to have a corrugated iron En suite bathroom in the rear and only one cracked spittoon , My first thought was not what are the machines on the bar but did the photographer get out alive,the clientele dont look best pleased to be photographed .

The blurb identifies the the machines as a Caille Base Ball trade stim and the more recognizable Mills "Operators bell" (Iron case). This photo is dated 1917,interestingly another photo taken 10 years later of the same bar during Prohibition shows a much smarter bar,the Caille machine still on the bar and the spittoons in exactly the same positions ,whether they had been emptied in the intervening 10 years is unknown!
1917 bar.jpg

john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

You know it's time to pay the tab and go home after you step in the spit bowl the second time. !!CHEERS!!

J Peterson
Bowling for dollars in America
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

I’m not sure Sweetmeats that the Lord George Clowes photo and the photo immediately above are of the same location because the promenade railings behind the top row of machines are very different from those in the above photo. In the Lord George photo they have a filigree leaf pattern running between the lower rails but on the second photo the rails have just diagonal bars with a circular shape where the bars cross.

I’m pretty sure that the photo above is of Brighton, Sussex, taken late 1800's. The photographer is standing on the semi-circular projection from the promenade where the Beach Hut kiosk now stands opposite the Odeon cinema. The photograph is taken looking towards the West Pier which had at that time two square buildings adjacent to the promenade and two pavilion style buildings on the pier near the landward end.

It seems good business sense for slot machine traders to sell their machines direct from seaside promenades, I wonder, did they all do this or was this exclusive to Lord George?

John
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Its defiantly Brighton Sussex,as you say the railings are correct and there are exactly the same number of arches between the "high Stand" where the photo was taken and the stairwell. the photo below is as close as Ive got to hand although as I live there I might take a walk along and take the same shot (if it stops snowing) Jerry's arcade is just a 5 min walk back from the photographer.

brighton.jpg

sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

The postcard I posted was sent to me with comment that it was NEW Brighton I am afraid I did not check before posting. I now see it is definitely Sussex Brighton sorry.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Another Cricketer postcard from the ol' hard-drive.
Attachments
011_030.jpg