Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
bryans fan

Re: Sweetmeats postcards

Postby bryans fan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:16 pm

Many thanks to Sweetmeats for sharing some fantastic images. It is great to see machines "on Location" and such a great diversity.

I had not realised that the Racer was available as a floor standing machine. I had only been aware of the counter top version. Great to share these images, every day is a school day! Lovely card.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:29 pm

I was trying to find an image of an Essex Racer when Gameswat posted the Greyhound 2 player Race in the USA a few days ago. The picket fencing, linear course and turning handles all seem to match. Compare and contrast:
racer2.jpg
racer1.jpg

bryans fan

Postby bryans fan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:39 pm

Here are two Images from my collection.

The first is a photo and has Southport 1928 written in pencil on the rear.
southport 1928012.jpg
The second is a post card with no info. I am guessing Hastings Pier, as its similar to other images I have saved from the net.
Pier Group poss Hastings013.jpg
The last two are images I have saved from the net. No idea where I got them!
Herne Bay.jpg
Lady with Umbrella next to Horse Race Cast iron..jpg

13rebel

Postby 13rebel » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:04 pm

Great! Thanks BF.

sweetmeats

Postby sweetmeats » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:13 am

Following bryans fan's additions I have had another sort through my postcards and offer the following cards that I hope to be of interest.

Firstly a couple of chocolate venders including a rarely seen Peter's Swiss milk chocolate.

1.jpg
2.jpg
The back of the postcard is marked Folkestone, no date.

Here are four of the twelve Hastings pier cards I still own. I let several of these go to a collector in the USA. Also a postcard outside a soda bar in New York showing a Beverly twister similar to the star lot in the Smith sale. I have seen another half a dozen of these cards showing Mills owl lifter, cast iron golfer and Palmers Racer. In fact I have seen Hastings postcards with a Palmers Racer in five different locations! These photos all seem to have been taken by a professional man who took group pictures by the pavilion regrettably most show a preference for people to machines!

There are a number of unusual machines not seen by me on any other location. Does anyone have an idea what the wall machine is that looks like rock-face in a simulated brick case? The fortune teller looks to be a converted USA poker machine, but I have been told that a fortune teller in a similar case was made in the USA. I have been unable to find an illustration. This machine is on 1/2 penny, play.
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:02 pm

That's a Mills Jumbo Success Fortune Teller, and yes based on the card machine. You can actually see the Mills decal on the side the photo is so good.
jumbo.jpg

john t peterson

Postby john t peterson » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:07 pm

Gameswat. You let a wolf sleep on top of your footballer? Naughty, naughty. :tut

J Peterson
Game Control, USA

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:31 pm

I wonder if this photographer made a living taking photos of Charabanc day trip groups. four of the photos have between 50 and 54 people in them and one 20. The standard pre WW1 Charabanc had a capacity of 24/28. The close proximity of the people to each other would hint they at least know each other and the "Sunday best" clothes would hint at a special occasion. As usual, no one is smiling, probably for the same reason the Mona Lisa isn't really smiling. :lol: (note the smiley )

sweetmeats

Postby sweetmeats » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Have added a close up enlargement of the Mills fortune teller above Mills Fortune Teller and below fortunes For Ladies.
img20180205_16184239.jpg
img20180205_16184239.jpg (47.29 KiB) Viewed 1086 times

bryans fan

Postby bryans fan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:25 pm

It would appear the place to go for mutoscopes was Barry Island!
Barry Island slots in front of Refreshment Rooms.bmp