CAM Automatics

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
Newmski

CAM Automatics

Post by Newmski »

Hi

I found this CAM AUTOMATICS machine in a junk shop in Richmond North Yorkshire and wondered if someone might be able to answer a couple of questions as I can't seem to find much info about this manufacturer. It says on it:

A CAM AUTOMATICS product of Seaham Co Durham

and apparently takes discs or 3d bits

Firstly, the aesthetics, as you can see from some of the pictures the coin entry has been removed, does anyone know where I could find a replacement? Similarly, the knob from the arm has also been removed, again, where would I get hold of one?

Secondly the insides, I would love to get it going again but it looks like it might be a bit of a nightmare. It has obviously been stored outside for a time as the circuit board and components are quite rusty. Does anyone know if replacement parts are available or if there is somewhere I could get it fixed. Is it going to cost me the earth? Is it worth? it or is it best left as an ornament? Anyway, I think its beautiful and its going on the wall whatever :D

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks
Newmski
Attachments
machine.jpg
inside.jpg
handle.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: CAM AUTOMATICS?

Post by badpenny »

Hi Newmski ... welcome to the premier slots forum in UK.

Wow! .... where to start?
I've seen these pop up now and again, rarely in working order, with luck somebody else with more experiece in these machines than me will come along and give you real life advice.

I've had machines (but not this one) from this manufacturer before and have made my own coin entries out of a bit of brass or stainless steel.
As for the ball on the end, I'd plonk on anything that looked about right, pool table balls would be too big................ try some of that adhesive putty stuff that sets hard, roll it into a ball and paint it gloss black.
Have you plugged it in yet? If not I suggest you place a residual current device (RCD), between it and your mains. You can get a plugin one from B&Q and might save you burning your house or the machine to ashes.
Also clean every leaf contact and switch even those that hold in line fuses. Then get your least favourite aunty to plug it in whilst you hide behind the coal bunker. Electrickery is funny stuff and don't half bite. I have a fine collection of half melted screwdrivers to prove the point.

In my horrible opinion the answers to your questions are: -

Don't know
Without doubt
If you think so then YES!
There is a line of thought that would support totally anyone's opinion and don't forget the number of people who turned down The Beatles. Chances are the majority of collectors would Poo-Hoo my collection, do I care? Do I :mrgreen: !!!!

However my answers may not be in the same order as your questions.......................

Badpenny
:D
edited a couple of times in order to fail at making this appear helpful ..... I did not succeed! :?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Newmski! Welcome to the site :D , Cam Automatics was a small family firm that went out of business over 30 years ago. It was owned by the Murray family and they worked out of Seaham harbour. They made and sold machines mainly around the north east of England. I think you will find it difficult to get any information on how the machines work, the only way is to roll up you sleeves and learn as you go, looking at the photos I would say that there are a couple of plug-in relays missing from the control of your machine that will have to be replaced before you start, and as Badpenny says :*** electricity will bite :*** , so use an RCD when working on it. good luck :tarah:
Newmski

Post by Newmski »

Thanks Guys thats very helpful :)

I tried plugging it in (with the RCD firmly in place) and..... nothing happened. Not a spark, not even a hum, most anti-climatic. As you said slotalot it looks like some relays are missing. Looks like this machine may be destined to become a drinks cabinet :D unless I can get hold of some old relays that is (you never know). Thanks again for your help

Newmski
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi, :D Sorry to hear that you had no luck when you plugged it in, at least you are still here to tell the tale! :eek: . I have found a pic of another machine that looks as if it came from the same maker as yours, no pull handle on this one. It is called Bar1. Good luck and don't give up on it. :tarah:
Attachments
bar1.jpg
bar1.jpg (14.34 KiB) Viewed 11500 times
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

:*** And another one!!!! :***....I might start collecting them :tarah:
Attachments
e4ee_1.jpg
e4ee_1.jpg (24.47 KiB) Viewed 11411 times
bryans fan

Re: Missing Knob

Post by bryans fan »

There are Two knobs for sale on eBay at the moment which may be of interest to you

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-X-ONE-ARM-HANDL ... 286.c0.m14
PSD

Post by PSD »

Another!
Attachments
Southern Belle
Southern Belle
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Update on Newmski and his Cam Girl slot machine :D
I liked this machine so much that I asked Newmski if he would like me to check it over for him, and although it was well beyond economical repair as a fully working slot machine I have been able to put some life back in to it, I have rewired it :zapa: and now when you pull the arm the lights flash and stop at a random selection, I have also tidied the case up and made and fitted the all important ball on the handle. Newmski now has a decorative item for his flat and I have picked up a little more slot machine knowledge along the way :-? and also made an other slottie friend, all in all a good weekends work. Check out the photo's :tarah:
Attachments
a camgirl2.jpg
a camgirl1.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Slick Chick sold on ebay a few weeks ago I think - twin sister of Cam Girl.
By-the-way, CAM Automatics also produced a line of tiny one-player penny pushers - Davy Jones Locker, Mini Pusher, Aladdin's Lamp...
Attachments
SlickChick.jpg
SlickChick.jpg (13.63 KiB) Viewed 10883 times
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

PennyMachines wrote:Slick Chick sold on ebay a few weeks ago I think - twin sister of Cam Girl.
By-the-way, CAM Automatics also produced a line of tiny one-player penny pushers - Davy Jones Locker, Mini Pusher, Aladdin's Lamp...
Hi Pennymachines :D , Yes I saw Slick Chick for sale last week, infact I was bidding on it and lost out at the very last minute :oops: ... as for Davy Jones Locker & Aladdins Lamp pushers, I wondered if they were by Cam Automatics as they have the same shape case, I wonder how many variants were made, I have just found some more, not very good photos though!.... Batman & Robin...& Silver Dollar... :tarah:
Attachments
4658_1.jpg
d999_1.jpg
d999_1.jpg (25.48 KiB) Viewed 7231 times
silver.jpg
silver.jpg (23.07 KiB) Viewed 7231 times
bat1.jpg
fourfive

Post by fourfive »

Here is a picture of a "Davy Jones Locker" that I have in my collection.
Attachments
davy jones.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

slotalot wrote:as for Davy Jones Locker & Aladdins Lamp pushers, I wondered if they were by Cam Automatics as they have the same shape case, I wonder how many variants were made
I'd never heard of Cam Automatics before reading this thread, but I've often seen the machines. On present evidence it seems they produced only two games re-dressed with several picture glasses and backflashes. Batman & Robin has to be favourite.
Attachments
Aladdin's Lamp
Aladdin's Lamp
Mini Pusher
Mini Pusher
minipusher.jpg (12.02 KiB) Viewed 7213 times
PSD

Post by PSD »

Penny Flash.

Excluding the pushers, that's 8 different types!
These machines could make a nice collection for someone :P
Attachments
c66a_1.jpg
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Now that gives me an idea. These Cam Girl types are nice, simple machines, and any reasonably competent handyman could build a replica, with perhaps a little bit of help from an electronics hobbyist. It would need a bit of artwork on glass, a simple wooden case, and some innards. The days are long gone when you could drop in at the local junk shop and pick up some relays and a uniselector for five bob, but it could be done with some nice, easy electronics costing no more than 20 pounds. It would be a lot less complicated than the Tooty Fruity project, and way cooler (and cheaper) than the Lego slot machines. If anyone else thinks this might be an interesting project for the "Build a Slot Machine" category, I'll contribute a circuit diagram and the necessary electronic design work.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Talk of the devil:
Item number: 290303414249
Attachments
2e48_1.JPG
2994_1.JPG
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

tree-frog wrote:Talk of the devil:
Item number: 290303414249
Shame about the paint job
dej4y

Post by dej4y »

Small world :shock:

So few years ago I bought a Batman & Robin Slot machine for my dad's birthday. Today I thought I would do a search on restorers of vintage machines in the UK, and came across this site, to make things stranger the machine pictured looks to be the exact one I got him, with the trim falling off at the top.

Hate to be a thread hog but where would be the best place to take this to get restored, it's fully working, just needs some tlc here and there.
Cheers,
Jay
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Operator Bell wrote:Now that gives me an idea. These Cam Girl types are nice, simple machines, and any reasonably competent handyman could build a replica,
Hi Opp Bell :D , I am ahead on you with this one ;-) , I started to make my own version called Wild West a few weeks ago, I did my own graphics with the aid of your clasic fruit symbols,this has now been put on hold till I get my crane machine sorted out, This is as far as I got :oops: , check out the photos, dont ask me for a wiring diagram :!?!:.... cos I made it out of my head!!!!! (Badpenny to insert inuendo here) :tarah:
Attachments
ww1b.jpg
ww1a.jpg
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Nice job! :lucky:

But you know somewhere down the road, someone on "PennyMachines2050" is going to be asking "I picked up this old Wild West themed Cam machine, and it isn't working. Does anyone have a wiring diagram?!?"

Think of the children! :twisted: