Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
sweetmeats

Garrett's cigarette vending machine

Postby sweetmeats » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:10 pm

Just found this old advert for cigarette vending machine made by Clement Garrett and Co, more well known for their gold change machines. Has anyone seen a triple vender similar to this? I see they use the word "BIJOU" for the single column model a term they used on their cast iron gold changers from 1900ish. The 1930 date would tie up with the cigarette prices. I wonder if they made metal venders for outside use positively from an earlier date? Can any vender collector offer any further information please.
cigerette-vending-machine20190904_16461941a.jpg

coppinpr

Re: Garrett's cigarette vending machine

Postby coppinpr » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:43 am

My God, these were expensive!! £5 in 1935 is equal to £310 today! That's a lot of 2d packets of fags to get your money back :o (true 2d works out at 51p today, but even allowing for 50% profit on a 2d packet that's 1200 packets to sell before you make a profit through the machine and that doesn't include running costs!) It says "built to last". They would need to be. !OMFG!
The triple column machine is listed at a staggering £19. That's over £1200. The advert does appear to say "1930".

13rebel

Postby 13rebel » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:09 pm

I thought this looked similar to sweetmeats' flyer.
The photos are of an exhibit in Rustington museum which is in the process of being moved to another building. The machine is made of metal. No other information I'm afraid.
fag-machine-rustington-001a.jpg
fag-machine-rustington-002a.jpg
fag-machine-rustington-003a.jpg
fag-machine-rustington-004a.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:05 pm

There's a Clement Garret & Co. triple cigarette vendor quite similar to the advert above already posted in this topic: Cigarette Vendors
Patented by Dora Garrett in 1924, it's sans peaked top and has different coin entries.

Here's a single unit made by the same company:

Chip-2237.jpg
Treefrog's sharp eyes spotted the Clement Garret badge on this beer vending giant:

Embed from Getty Images

john t peterson

Postby john t peterson » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:55 pm

What a great idea....drinking beer at work. !!THUMBSX2!! I'm a little confused. She appears to be holding a beer bottle like the one pictured on the vending machine. He seems to be pouring beer from a can?? Not that it matters. Besides a brewery or Disney Land, that looks like the happiest place in the world to work. :lol:

J Peterson
Cheers from America !!CHEERS!!

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:03 pm

Early beer cans JP.
beer.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:25 pm

The good ol' days when you had to read the label to see if you were drinking beer or metal polish. !PUKE!

moonriver

Postby moonriver » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:39 am

I knew that emoji would come in handy again

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:15 pm

Here is the caption that goes with that photo:
24th June 1937: A canned beer machine being tested out in London. The customer inserts 6d, waits for the coin to drop and pulls out a sealed can of beer. A woman is using the opener on the right hand side of the machine. Experiments are being made to make the machines automatically self-locking and opening in accordance with the licensing laws.
A closer look at the photo shows the man is in fact removing an unopened can. There seems to be a choice of six different beers. The clock on the top makes sense if the auto lock was introduced.

The woman looks a little confused, but not to worry, it says on the top of the can, "instructions on the bottom". On the bottom it says, "open other end". :cool:

This 17th cent (more like mid 18th cent to my mind) coin-op gin dispenser is thought to be the oldest coin-op vending machine from the UK, although coin-operated is stretching a point. (That brand of gin is still available today).
cat gin.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:12 pm

….. it tastes like cat's what?