Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
paul

Bollands / B.M.CO The Lifeline

Postby paul » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:36 pm

A machine from my collection. Had this a few years. I guess it dates from the 1920s. Apart from waxing the cabinet, nothing else done to it. This is a coin/flick machine. I don't think many have survived due to the painted glass.
DSCF1652a.jpg
DSCF1651a.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bollands / B.M.CO The Lifeline

Postby pennymachines » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:37 am

Really nice to see one in such original condition. I guess it once had a large marquee with the name of the game on top. I've put it in the Museum under your name Paul.

lifeline bolland.jpg
Ex Jon Gresham's collection
How does the Reserve work? Is there some kind of coin reservoir inside (in which case it's not simply coin return)? Surely the brass payout casting is only designed to hold a single coin.

Some similar BMCo. games. The Climbing the Alps was in the Coventry Sale a few years ago but unfortunately it's a lousy image because I failed to focus my camera. !!PHOTO!! Anyone got a better shot of it?
Dodge-Em.jpg
Dodge-Em
Orig-MiniatureCricket.jpg
Miniature Cricket
Orig-ClimbingtheAlps.jpg
Climbing the Alps

paul

Postby paul » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Re the Lifeline, the reserve feature on this machine is as follows: a clip is either side of the lighthouse; this holds a penny -- all other pennies go into the cashbox. When a coin goes into the win (at the top of the lighthouse) it pays out all the coins i.e. 1 , 2 or 3. The payout cup is just a bit bigger than a normal B.M.Co. payout, so the coins come out really easy. It must have been a great money-taker in its day.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Very cool. I've updated the description in the Museum to reflect your comments. Are the coin-retaining clips visible from inside the cabinet, or hidden behind the scenery?

paul

Postby paul » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:06 pm

RE lifeline, the clips are hidden behind the scenery. Besides the painted glass there is also the painted backboard. The clips are the backboard scenery - all very clever. Has anyone else got this machine? I was told years ago that J Gresham had one, but the glass was broken in transit to the States - a very reliable ex-collector told me this story.

magikkk

Postby magikkk » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Wow. So each backdrop on The Lifeline is individually painted, making each one, one of a kind?

13rebel

Postby 13rebel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:57 pm

Lovely machine !THUMBS!

arrgee

Postby arrgee » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:53 am

Something odd happening here - see screenshot, but when I click on the photo icon I get the photo posted in a separate screen. Only happens to these postings as all other pics on the Forum can be seen in their posts. !PUZZLED!
Screenshot 2019-10-15 at 09.50.05.png

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:19 pm

arrgee wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:53 am
Something odd happening here

Sometimes Firefox stops loading a page before all the pictures are loaded, but what could cause it to happen just in this topic is beyond me. :!?!:

magikkk wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:19 pm
Wow. So each backdrop on The Lifeline is individually painted, making each one, one of a kind?

That's what makes some of these early games so appealing.
lifeline.jpg
Colour picture of ex-Gresham Lifeline

arrgee

Postby arrgee » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:15 pm

pennymachines wrote:what could cause it to happen just in this topic is beyond me
Me too Mr pm, this was viewed through Safari, having said that I went onto the Forum and hour or so later and all the pics were there ?? - and still are.
c'est la vie
:!?!: