Empire Amusement Machine Fortune Teller

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
hottoddy

Empire Amusement Machine Fortune Teller

Post by hottoddy »

Hello and Happy Holidays,

I recently came across this Fortune Teller type machine. I cannot find anything about it. Does anyone on this wonderful site know of this machine or manufacturer?

Cheers !!CHEERS!!
Attachments
img.axd1.jpg
img.axd2.jpg
img.axd5.jpg
img.axd3.jpg
img.axd4.jpg
gameswat

Re: Empire Amusement Machine Fortune Teller

Post by gameswat »

Toddy, the maker's name is printed on the face. Someone blacked it out years ago but that has faded and seems like it would be legible in person or with a better photo. Last part of maker's name looks like ?????? CARSON - 159 Plane Street, ???eby Road, Hull.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I wonder if similarities to this shocker are coincidental.
Attachments
199.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Blimey :!: did you post the wrong picture Mr PM as I cannot see a single thing on this shocker related to the fortune teller....must be me eyes again. !LOOK!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The unusual sloped back narrow cabinet brought it to mind - but that's about it.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Interesting to look at the Google map of 159 Plane St., Hull. It's a street of early 20th cent terraced houses, but number 159 is an alley way leading between the houses to a small group of (also early 20th cent looking) workshops. The original buildings that made this machine? Can't track the company though. If we had the first part of the name...perhaps!
JC

Post by JC »

The dial appears very similar to the Bolland Predicta fortune tellers. However, I'd say Oliver Whales - the elaborate coin entries (which at the rear also incorporate the coin acceptor mechanisms) are often found on Whales Kiss-O-Meter machines.
hottoddy

Post by hottoddy »

Thank you for everyone's reply. I first thought it looked like a Bryan's machine. The case looks like a Fruit Bowl or Rippler and the square edged coin entry/card dispenser reminds me of a Bryan's Clock. Sorry, but I do not have the machine in my possession for a closer look. If anyone is interested in purchasing please PM me and I can forward you on to the owner. Thanks Again!!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I think Jerry is close. The mechanism face is just like "Predicta" which is listed as having be made by George Barnes, 1924. If Bolland got the idea from him, Oliver Whales is listed as having been an agent for Bolland and the casing/coin entry does look suspiciously like Whales. Seems to me there was a lot of messin' going on in coin-op during the day. o0O0o

J Peterson
Messed up in America