No Room Left

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
roger

No Room Left

Post by roger »

I have long admired the British pier machines from the late 19th century.
The Matthewson machines were of special interest to me but I never came across one
in the U.S. after I started accumulating machines (1950). When prices esculated to unbelievable levels my GREED
"did me in" quoating Eliza Doolittle. I started selling off some of my machines...BIG MISTAKE. They tripled or more
after that.
Several months ago, a large collector in the U.S. passed away. Included in his collection were two (YES 2) Matthewson
machines mounted on mermaid bases which sat in his study.

They are probably worth the price of a middle class home with a ROLLS thrown in. I chuckle every time I think
about this situation...can you imagine two of these monsters in your living room ????

Not even room for your mother-law ROGER
moonriver

Re: No Room Left

Post by moonriver »

Personally, I don't think the words 'roger' , 'mother in law' and 'your' should ever be used in the same sentence.
roger

Post by roger »

SORRY..............Not even room for your FATHER-law........................................ROGER
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I think that's probably worse !!ESCAPE!!
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

I don't get all excited by the values of these machines. Some of my most treasured machines cost less than a £1000.
My Mills Lion Head is good example.
I would hate to be in a position where I sold my collection purely on consideration of price they may fetch.
Obviously, it's a factor, but not the overriding one.
I will sell when I'm ready, price is not the driving factor.
I think it's a shame if you have resentment of selling machines/ collection.
They are, after all, only worth what someone is willing to pay at the time.
roger

Post by roger »

I have been asked why I disposed of some of my machines and later regretted such action.

We have a TV show in the U.S. called "The Pickers"...... dealers travel around the country, on camera, buying collectibles. Sometimes, the negotiations reach an impasse on a rare item which is not readily replaceable. At that point , one of the pickers will ask the seller to name a "I Don't Want To Sell Price".

There are very few collectors who won't part with a treasured item for a ridiculous "insane" price.
ROGER
brigham

Post by brigham »

There's a similar, greed-based TV show here in GB.
I have many interests, not just slot machines, and every time some interesting but not-worth-much item gets inflated out of all recognition, I get ready for the next burglary.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It probably is true most would let a precious item go for the right money, but I admire those who have the ability to turn down any price, especially something of great family value. Sometimes money is not everything even if you don’t have any. |/XX\|

I like the picker type shows, so American Pickers and Salvage Hunters in the UK - fun programs. You get to see some of the amazing things people accumulate. Also they don't always get things cheap and pay big money, but both have a clientele which they know well. There is a new show based in Ireland called Irish Pickers - awful program, with young clueless dealers and stupid prices... It is the place to sell things...

You are right though, some of these places they visit make themselves prime targets.
roger

Post by roger »

Members should also check out "Pawn Stars"...It films actutal negotiations in a pawn store
in Las Vegas Nevada, U.S.A.............ROGER
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Yeah letting items go is always hard but sometimes has to be done, Im not in it for the money so if something is sold there’s usually a very good reason.

I turned down an offer of $20,000 (2/3 of my yearly wage ) For my Williams ten strike would have cut my mortgage in half but I’d never find another one so it’s still in my collection
roger

Post by roger »

Three Cheers For "ddstoys"... !!YIPPEE!! !!YIPPEE!! !!YIPPEE!! ROGER
roger

Post by roger »

!!CHEERS!! !!CHEERS!! !!CHEERS!!

It has been 1 year since I gave three cheers to "ddstoys"

Just curious if he still owns the Williams Ten Strikes.

Watch for my new related posting, "Baker Bites The Dust" ROGER
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

ddstoys wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:56 pm

I turned down an offer of $20,000 (2/3 of my yearly wage ) For my Williams ten strike would have cut my mortgage in half but I’d never find another one so it’s still in my collection
What Dan neglected to mention was that this was a very unrestored machine at the time! Flaked backglass, ruined plastic dome, non original pins that didn't work, etc etc. I was truly shocked he didn't take the money and run away very quickly, and that was when I thought he'd already restored the damn thing!?! Very few collectors in Aust willing to pay anything like that for even the finest pieces. His is the much rarer version with a 7ft alley instead of the usual 5ft. I've not played the larger version but it can't have been much of an improvement play wise otherwise the machine would have been in high demand by operators, because the players demanded it, and there would now be more of them surviving than the short models I'm sure.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

roger wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:31 pm Members should also check out "Pawn Stars"...It films actutal negotiations in a pawn store
in Las Vegas Nevada, U.S.A.............ROGER
Pawn Stars is very fake / Reality TV Produced. American Pickers has a lot of normal Reality TV trickery, but you have to enjoy it for just meeting the people. I've read experiences from a bunch of people who appeared on those shows.
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

roger wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:51 pm !!CHEERS!! !!CHEERS!! !!CHEERS!!

It has been 1 year since I gave three cheers to "ddstoys"

Just curious if he still owns the Williams Ten Strikes.

Watch for my new related posting, "Baker Bites The Dust" ROGER

Yes Roger
I still own it. It will be one of the last games to go if I ever do sell anything. 😂😂😂

But I may have to with my latest restoration project. Damn Indian motorcycle parts are expensive. 😂😂