Chester Pollard Play Golf

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
arrgee

Re: Chester Pollard Play Golf

Post by arrgee »

Never played on this game. Are most of those holes losing holes?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The altered example ddstoys posted has extra lose holes drilled into the greens, but normally (as I understand it) the only 'lose' holes are in the brook.

Clearly the idea is to complete the three holes using the three balls with the minimum strokes (6 strokes = par).
The ''hotel model' in the video above actually keeps count of your strokes on a dial.
Balls successfully holed are not returned, so it's impossible to complete the course if you lose one.
Obviously you're supposed to complete holes 1-3 in order.
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Some great videos Pennymachines. Interesting that he only thinks there were 50-60 Play Golfs made.

And yes, looking at my playfield, the only holes in the table are the 3 main holes and the few holes in the brook. I’ll try get some photos of the internals next rime it’s open.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Thanks Mr PM, very interesting videos.
ddstoys wrote:Interesting that he only thinks there were 50-60 Play Golfs made
Also interesting that there were a couple of 'knock-off' copies of the game and that Chester Pollard lost their case when they sued Hoot-Mon Golf for an almost exact copy !
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

50 to 60 seems very low. It is a rare game compared to the Play Football, but I've seen 8 to 10 in person on my travels and know of at least 4 that were in Aust. Bob Klepner traded a burnt one to New Zealand and later sold his beautiful example to the US. That would mean a huge survival percentage compared to pretty much every other machine in existence! Richard Beuschel had been keeping serial number data for decades and 30 years ago came up with a survival figure of between 1% to 3% for vintage coin-ops, which I've always felt to be pretty much spot on.
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Bob knew about this one I remember him telling me about it and saying he tried to buy it but it was never for sale. Well I’m assuming it’s this one as I couldn’t imagine there being two in My area
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

I currently know of 3 in oz. ones at mine ones at the penny arcade in Echuca and ones in QLD