Caille Ben Hur

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
rivierakid

Caille Ben Hur

Post by rivierakid »

Hi, thought forum members might be interested to see my latest find. It’s a Caille roulette style machine, which I believe is generally known as the Ben Hur. I imported this from Spain and it’s currently operating on old 50 peseta coins. Frustratingly the coin entry is just a shade too small to accept 1d coins. And I’ve since found that 50 peseta coins are rather difficult and expensive to come by. Wondered if any members have experience of switching a 50 peseta mechanism to other coinage?
Attachments
3125FDBF-494E-42DA-B05C-10150FA51AC1a.jpg
brigham

Re: Caille Ben Hur

Post by brigham »

Have you tried it on 2/-?
You might be lucky.
rivierakid

Post by rivierakid »

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I’ve tried it and yes, it works pretty well on 2/. It accepts the coins fine and spins. Only issue is that it sometimes makes random payouts. But that might be more to do with needing to tinker with the payout mech than the coin size. Glad to have found a possible solution and one that allows me to play on uk coinage. Thanks again.
rivierakid

Post by rivierakid »

So I’ve finally cleaned up the Ben Hur (or it might be a Caille Commercial - not sure on the difference) and it’s working pretty well. Just one issue I could do with some advice on. Quite often it stops with the pointer between two symbols (rather than dead on a symbol) and so doesn’t pay out, even if you gambled on the symbols either side of the pointer. Does anyone know if the machine was designed to work this way, or should it actually stop directly in a symbol each spin. Any advice/tips welcomed. Thanks.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The intention would be to stop squarely on a symbol.
However ...
If you look in the back at the large Star Wheel which attaches to the back of the wheel seen from the front, you will notice it is quite roughly cast and that some of the gaps between the teeth are probably tighter than others. So the higher payouts were more difficult to land. That could lead the stop not naturally landing in a V.

The other issue is that 90 years of the stop jerking the wheel to a halt by hitting the peaks of the teeth will have flattened them off a bit, thus making it possible for the stop to land on a plateau instead of a sharp peak.

BP :cool: