Restoration of 3 Sixes

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
rigg

Restoration of 3 Sixes

Post by rigg »

This was my first attempt at restoration last year, and I would like some opinion from fellow restorers, knowledgeable folk. Have I gone too far in its new appearance? I did buy some more brass plate to replace the back-plate but thought it detracted too much, even though the original is badly scoured by previous attempts to clean it! I used a French polish technique on the timber, as you can see the original condition was pretty horrible, but could have possibly been cleaned up. Anyway, have I overdone it? Also, is it a 'Sixies'? It throws the penny (not ball) around in an attempt to land in one of the 3 six slots for a return coin and play. I have another similar styled game that is called 'Fly To The Moon' (I think) that flicks the penny in a similar way to land in the moon slot! It requires a bit of work also and could end up like this one, unless I get other suggestions from this forum...
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: restoration of penny flick game

Post by badpenny »

....... can't see a picture, are you having problems? :?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Here you go.

All I do is save them to Photobucket at a reduced size then copy and paste the link into here.

Images uploaded here for safekeeping - Site Admin
Attachments
SIXES_6-1-1.jpg
sixes_resto001-1-1.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'd say you did an excellent job on that BM Co. The French polish looks great, is appropriate to the machine's period and will tone down and mature as it is dusted and polished over time. The brass fittings will also tone down quite quickly as they tarnish.

Judging by your original picture, there wasn't a salvageable wood finish to work with that would have allowed the attractive character of the oak to shine through as it does now.

I think you did the right thing by keeping the original distressed brass backplate.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Rigg, :D Well done! I think this machine looks just right, you have done a good job with the restoration, good luck with your other machine. :tarah:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It's a beaut!!!!!!! :D

What do you know of its history?
rigg

Post by rigg »

Thanks for the vote of confidence with this resto. I will attack the other similar machine with same technique. They should look quite good together.
As for history, no - don't know a thing about it. Didn't even know it was a BM Co. make... So thanks. Any idea of the age of this? I suppose it is early 1900s being just a penny and not a ball style??

Image uploaded - Site Admin.
Attachments
sixesresto003-1-1.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Nice restoration - great machine! But it's not as old as you think. It's more early '30s than early 1900s.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Hi Rigg, it looks like there should be a 'stop' where the hole is to the right of the flicker handle. This is a rod which would protrude outwards to stop the flicker handle being pulled down beyond that point.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Nice restoration job Rigg, if 'Fly to the Moon' ends up as good, you will have a lovely couple of machines.

(Was going to say a 'lovely pair' but this would get construed the wrong way by some stalwart Forum members!!)
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Rigg - if you send me un-cropped, full frontal photos of your lovely pair (in suitably discrete brown paper wrapper) I'd like to put them in the Museum.

It occurs to me now - your 3 Sixes might be better described as a Bollands product - but then Bollands and BMCo. were associated concerns.
Also I've found an old photo showing the original top flash: "The VERY LATEST American Game. The 3 Sixes Amusement Only". See Museum.
Attachments
3sixes.gif
3sixes.gif (6.49 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
rigg

Re: Restoration of 3 Sixes

Post by rigg »

This shows my partner, the 'Shoot to the Stars', that is about to get the restoration treatment. Any time in the next year or so... Although since discovering this site I have found new enthusiasm. Anyone seen these things before?
Attachments
STARS 1-1.jpg
STARS 1-1.jpg (34.5 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
fredslilja

Post by fredslilja »

I used a French polish technique on the timber
Nice job rigg :eek: Please let us know how this French polish technique works :roll:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

rigg wrote:this shows my partner, the 'Shoot to the Stars', that is about to get the restoration treatment. Any time in the next year or so... Although since discovering this site I have found new enthusiasm. Anyone seen these things before?
This double-event BMCo. The Way to the Moon has something in common - notice the half moon and star.
Attachments
ShoottheMoon.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

I'm intrigued by the black & white picture posted by Pennymachines of 3 Sixes, as it is clearly not the same machine as Rigg's. The huge ball track suggests something like the size of a golf ball was propelled around it, whereas Rigg's machines propels a penny. So they appear to be two completely different machines but with the same name and theme.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I didn't notice how different they were, but it's obvious now you point it out. Way to the Moon also uses (small) balls whereas Shoot to the Stars uses the coin. I've seen several early BMCos that use oversize balls. I've just posted the Ping Pong in the Museum which presumably used table tennis balls.
keswick

Post by keswick »

Hello everyone
I'm new to all this!
So I apologise if I'm not supposed to post this here?

30182.jpg

http://www.arcade-history.com/images/cabinet/30182.jpg

I hope this is of some help! !!THUMBSX2!!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey, that Shoot to the Stars is the same as I have! Bang! Zoom! Straight to the moon! Just the moon is slightly different, looks like mine has a face. Somehow i missed this post and nobody else noticed I guess?!