Issue 36 Front Cover

Britain's only vintage coin-op magazine.
JC

Issue 36 Front Cover

Post by JC »

I published a picture of a 1960s amusement arcade on the front cover of issue 36. At the time, I couldn't remember where the picture was taken, but have since been reminded that it was Jaywick Sands, near Clacton in Essex. Apparently, the arcade is still there, although I suspect the Ahrens Marathon Cycle Racer, which can be seen at the front of the arcade, is long gone!
Attachments
Issue 36 Jaywick.jpg
laughingsailor

Re: Issue 36 Front Cover

Post by laughingsailor »

Jerry - I think you will find that this picture is of Creek Road Hayling Island around 1963.
JC

Post by JC »

Thanks Dave. I first came across this picture many years ago, and at that time I did know the location - unfortunately, my memory isn't what it used to be (and it was never good). Since I printed it on the front cover of the magazine, a couple of people suggested it was Jaywick, and that did seem to ring a few bells. Thinking about it, it does seem a bit posh for Jaywick (no offence, but if you've ever been there, you'd know what I mean)!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It does look like it is Jaywick at Wonderland Amusements on the Broadway. Windows have changed and building next door gone...
No Ahrens though :(

I do love google maps....
Attachments
wonderland2.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

And just for good measure a photo of Creek Road Hayling Island, I can see the confusion with the two locations !PUZZLED! , if you look you can see a garage with the stepped “Art Deco” type roof same as the one in Jerry's photo of Jaywick -/00\-
Attachments
Hayling Island.jpg
laughingsailor

Post by laughingsailor »

I stand corrected - Jaywick it is. Excellent sleuthing.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I recall a telephonic conversation only two days ago with a certain member of this forum, whom for the sake of protecting the embarrassed I shall call "Harry Berkins". That of course is not his real name, his real name is Jerry Chattenton.

Harry said to me something along the lines of "Google Street View! I really don't see why we need it? How are we better of for having it? What can we do usefully that we couldn't do before?" :didact:
I in turn muttered something about gratuitous voyeurism of the worst kind :tut ..... and we both grumbled on in that vein for about half an hour.

Well Harry me old fruitgum I think we have both just been proven wrong ..... well at least you have, I still think it's voyeurism.