The Oliver Whales Story

Britain's only vintage coin-op magazine.
slotalot

The Oliver Whales Story

Post by slotalot »

!!><!!
Coming Soon in the MMM.
Attachments
story flyer.jpg
JC

Re: The Oliver Whales Story

Post by JC »

Yes, as some of you will know, Stuart has been researching the life of Oliver Whales for some time now - four years to be precise! -/00\- The fruits of Stuart's research !TAPTAP! will be published in a 'special issue' of the magazine, planned for January issue 52. So be sure not to miss it. !READ!

If your subscription is not up to date - do it now!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Through this page I would like to thank Stuart Dale for the fantastic article on Oliver Whales in the magazine. It adds extra nostalgia to owning his machines.
speedwell

Post by speedwell »

Fabulous article thanks Stuart... I really enjoyed it. Thanks too Jerry for putting it in the mag.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

This was interesting, especially as I know a lot of the areas Oliver and his family had shops around Essex, obviously long before my time. On another thread on the topic of what book subject would be of interest, if one could gather enough information on British slot machine manufacturers, this would fill a book and be of huge interest. Not just the allwin makers, but all the other amusement machine companies like Cromptons, Vale and Ruffler and Walker; an A-Z of makers. Of course someone may know if something exists beyond small write-ups in general slot machine books...
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Paul Braithwaite's Arcades and slot machines is a concise, but surprisingly informative nod in that direction. I think that many manufacturing operations either ceased so long ago or were relatively small or short-lived that an A-Z along the lines of Stuart's article would just not be realistic. Some of Nic Costa's articles in Coin Slot and World's Fair in the 80s are well worth a read.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi, :D Thanks for all the kind comment about the Oliver Whales story, both on the forum and by PM emails. As for a full book of such stories !READ! ? Well it took me four years to research Oliver Whales life, so at 58 years I don’t think I have that amount of time left, :oops: LOL. But we could all start to record whatever facts we know as collectors and send them to Jerry to publish in the Mechanical Memories Magazine. The thing we don’t want to do as collectors is to let all this history disappear without trace /\UK/\ , and the clock is ticking, so get your pens out. !TAPTAP!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus in thanking you for your excellent article, Stuart. Evidently, you put a great deal of research work into it. It was always something of an embarrassment that virtually nothing was known about the most prolific maker of the most popular British amusement machines. Now he has a face and an interesting personal history.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Stuart wrote:The thing we don’t want to do as collectors is to let all this history disappear without trace
Couldn't agree more Stuart and from reading this forum over the years there is a lot of knowledge out there relating to coin op things/machines. So when those persons that hold this knowledge fall off their perch, that's it - no more available knowledge. :#:

As Stuart has said, probably the best way of recording this for future generations is in MMM, this will not only help to preserve information but also greatly assist Jerry in his monthly undertaking, we all owe much more to this magazine than is said or realised.

Richard
coppinpr

Re: collecting info

Post by coppinpr »

OK then, let's make a start. Open a long term thread just to hold the info, then start asking questions: that's the best way to load the thread with info. A question on the thread will almost always likely generate info from others. We would need dates, places and products for a start and see if it grows from there.

Here is a question to start it off. Streets: all I know is they were based in Eastbourne, Sussex and made good coin op shooting galleries. I know they were still going in the early '70s but, looking at their machines they were about to go under about then. Anyone know any more?? I dare say the answer is in some book somewhere but I don't have it and perhaps many others don't, so anyone who does, let us know and I'll keep notes.
terry

Post by terry »

Hi all. Went to Kempton Antiques Fair today and picked up a few old photos and paraphenalia related to that favourite old subject of ours.....slot machines! There are several photos of machines related to a Herbert G. Morgan who doesn't feature in the Arcades and Slot Machines book but who was a "Designer & Patentee" of automatic machines from Canvey Island and Benfleet, Essex. Also there was a photo that I've posted here of a trade fair stand for Whales & White of London. Now, obviously Whales is our dear friend Oliver and several of his machines are pictured but who was the White part of the partnership? Does anybody recognise any of the gentlemen pictured and where or when this photo was taken? Machines featured are 24 Winning Cups, Chad, Screen Stars, Players Please, Selecta Cig, White City, Selecta Cup, Defiant, Playball, The Train Test and Boat Race. Not sure if the front two machines are Whales but what a great photo!...click on image for enlarged picture.

Copied to Resources - site admin.
Attachments
whales.jpg
Last edited by terry on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Terry, you have done well to find that photo :o , I have not seen that one before. I am thinking that one of the 3 men "might" be Tom Boland.... I say this because I can see some of Boland's bandit conversions at the back of the stand, and I know that Boland was also involved with Oliver at one time :D
But I could be wrong!!! :!?!: Anyone?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Fantastic photo Terry, thanks for sharing it. I love the look of Boat Race.
terry

Post by terry »

Yes, forgot to add that the Film Stars and White City bandits were Bolands creations. Maybe the White side of the partnership was the company who manufactured the plastic signs which seem to be heavily featured in the photo?
Last edited by terry on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I am still in contact with Oliver's granddaughter. I will ask her if she can shed any light on the White connection. !THUMBS!
terry

Post by terry »

Cheers Slotty! Feel free to show her the photo too as it may trigger a few memories.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Hi Terry, great photo and I hope someone will be able to shed more light on it. Interesting that all the allwins have a top flash/pediment so maybe the date is not quite into the 1960s yet. Don't usually associate top flashes with these sort of machines. Also, on the Shefras stand next door you can just make out what appears to be the wooden top flash/pediment from a traditional clown - still being exhibited in the 50s?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Well done Terry for unearthing such a great picture and thanks for generously sharing it. I'm sure framed copies will appear in a few vintage gamerooms around the country!
terry

Post by terry »

No problem. I wonder if this Herbert Morgan chap is in the photo as it was in a big frame with other paraphenalia relating to him? I'll add the photos of the other machines when I get the chance. They are mainly pinball stuff but somebody may recognise them.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi :D ,
I have been doing some digging regards this photo !!JUNK!! I have been checking the London phone books for Whales & White. The only listing I could find was for 1950. They were listed as Whales & White, Automatic Machines, 17 Lower Marsh, London SE1. By 1952, they were not listed at all, and I could not find them listed prior to 1950, but some of the pre 1950 directories were not complete :dammit: But it looks as if it was a short lived partnership, but then Oliver had many deals going with many people over the years.
I have also sent a photo to Oliver's Granddaughter Helen. I will give her a ring in the next day or two to see if she has any info. :tarah: