Britain's only vintage coin-op magazine.
terry

Re: The Oliver Whales Story

Postby terry » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi all. Went to Kempton Antiques Fair today and picked up a few old photos and paraphenalia related to that favourite old subject of ours.....slot machines! There are several photos of machines related to a Herbert G. Morgan who doesn't feature in the Arcades and Slot Machines book but who was a "Designer & Patentee" of automatic machines from Canvey Island and Benfleet, Essex. Also there was a photo that I've posted here of a trade fair stand for Whales & White of London. Now, obviously Whales is our dear friend Oliver and several of his machines are pictured but who was the White part of the partnership? Does anybody recognise any of the gentlemen pictured and where or when this photo was taken? Machines featured are 24 Winning Cups, Chad, Screen Stars, Players Please, Selecta Cig, White City, Selecta Cup, Defiant, Playball, The Train Test and Boat Race. Not sure if the front two machines are Whales but what a great photo!...click on image for enlarged picture.

Copied to Resources - site admin.
whales.jpg
Last edited by terry on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi Terry, you have done well to find that photo :o , I have not seen that one before. I am thinking that one of the 3 men "might" be Tom Boland.... I say this because I can see some of Boland's bandit converions at the back of the stand, and I know that Boland was also involved with Oliver at one time :D
But I could be wrong!!! :!?!: Anyone?

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Fantastic photo Terry, thanks for sharing it. I love the look of Boat Race.

terry

Postby terry » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:03 pm

Yes, forgot to add that the Film Stars and White City bandits were Bolands creations. Maybe the White side of the partnership was the company who manufactured the plastic signs which seem to be heavily featured in the photo?
Last edited by terry on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:15 pm

I am still in contact with Oliver's granddaughter. I will ask her if she can shed any light on the White connection. !THUMBS!

terry

Postby terry » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Cheers Slotty! Feel free to show her the photo too as it may trigger a few memories.

arrgee

Postby arrgee » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:23 am

Hi Terry, great photo and I hope someone will be able to shed more light on it. Interesting that all the allwins have a top flash/pediment so maybe the date is not quite into the 1960s yet. Don't usually associate top flashes with these sort of machines. Also, on the Shefras stand next door you can just make out what appears to be the wooden top flash/pediment from a traditional clown - still being exhibited in the 50s?

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:16 pm

Well done Terry for unearthing such a great picture and thanks for generously sharing it. I'm sure framed copies will appear in a few vintage gamerooms around the country!

terry

Postby terry » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:44 pm

No problem. I wonder if this Herbert Morgan chap is in the photo as it was in a big frame with other paraphenalia relating to him? I'll add the photos of the other machines when I get the chance. They are mainly pinball stuff but somebody may recognise them.

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi :D ,
I have been doing some digging regards this photo !!JUNK!! I have been checking the London phone books for Whales & White. The only listing I could find was for 1950. They were listed as Whales & White, Automatic Machines, 17 Lower Marsh, London SE1. By 1952, they were not listed at all, and I could not find them listed prior to 1950, but some of the pre 1950 directories were not complete :dammit: But it looks as if it was a short lived partnership, but then Oliver had many deals going with many people over the years.
I have also sent a photo to Oliver's Granddaughter Helen. I will give her a ring in the next day or two to see if she has any info. :tarah: