Places to visit

Britain's only vintage coin-op magazine.
JC

Places to visit

Post by JC »

Over the last couple of years since the magazine started, I've featured most of the larger venues where the public can play on vintage penny machines. Over the next few weeks (as time permits), I shall post details and pictures in this thread - so check back regularly.

Way back in issue 2, I featured Steve Maxted's fantastic collection of working models, which are housed at the Rye Heritage Centre. If you haven't yet visited, do try - you won't be disappointed. I hope to do a 'Rye revisited' feature for the magazine, somtime in the next couple of months, in the meantime, here are some of the pictures published in issue 2.
Attachments
Rye Bellringers.jpg
rye english execution.jpg
Rye Our Firefighters.jpg
Rye Sydney Knows.jpg
Rye The Twins.jpg
JC

Re: Places to visit

Post by JC »

In issue 4, I featured Peter and Shirley Willamsons' Model Village at Great Yarmouth. This was the first time I had visited this attraction for many years, and it was good to see the great work Peter and Shirley have done since taking over the site a few years back.

Peter has a large collection of machines in his vintage arcade adjoining the model village, with some rarities including a full set of R&W two-player race games. An absolute MUST VISIT!

Here are the pictures published in issue 4.
Attachments
Great Yarmouth Fairground.jpg
Great Yarmouth R&W Cycle Racer.jpg
Great Yarmouth R&W Helicopter Race.jpg
Great Yarmouth Treasure Hunt Crane.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Clive Baker wrote an article for issue 5, promoting his large vintage arcade on Southport pier. This is Clive's biggest site, with about sixty machines, and as you would expect from Clive, there are some classic machines here.

Unfortunately, I have not yet had the oppertunity to visit (it's a bit too far north for me), but if you're in the North East area, this is another must visit site. Here are some of the pictures from issue 5.
Attachments
Southport Kit Kat Allwin.jpg
Southport Wall Machines & Twins.jpg
Southport Know Thyself Palmist.jpg
Southport Marksman and Tuck Shop.jpg
Southport Essex Monkey Racer.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Some lovely machines in those photos Jerry, does Clive Baker have a machine to dispense tablets for the prevention of dribbling !!!! :mad:
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hello All, :D As JC. says Peter & Shirley Williamsons vintage arcade at Great Yarmouth is well worth a visit, When we were down there last year my wife always knew where to find me when I got lost!!!, and I got lost a lot that week!!! :wink: . I managed to get some photos of the third R&W two player game, "Grand Prix Racer". I also got some shots of the working of this machine, Please Enjoy Them. PS they do a good cream tea as well!. :thumbs:
Attachments
P9010064.JPG
P9010071.JPG
P9010058.JPG
P9010066.JPG
Last edited by slotalot on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
JC

Post by JC »

Thanks for the pictures of the Grand Prix Racer, Slotalot. Did you manage to get any pictures of the forth R&W two player game (Grand National)? For some reason (I can't remember why), when I visited two years ago, I didn't takes photos of that - silly me!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

JC wrote:Thanks for the pictures of the Grand Prix Racer, Slotalot. Did you manage to get any pictures of the forth R&W two player game (Grand National)? For some reason (I can't remember why), when I visited two years ago, I didn't takes photos of that - silly me!
Hi JC, I have just had a look in the very back corner of my computer files, and yes I have found some photos of the "Grand National". I have also added another photo of the cars on the "Grand Prix Racer". I must find time to sort my photo files out, who knows what will turn up!. regards slotalot.
Attachments
P9010063.JPG
P9010062.JPG
P9010061.JPG
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hello again, :D I have just been sorting though the photo files on my computer :smash: and I have found another machine from the vintage arcade at Great Yarmouth model village. its a basket ball type machine for 2 players, I dont know what it is called :-? but I am sure one of you slotties can tell me. Please Enjoy!. :boing:
Attachments
P9010057.JPG
P9010056.JPG
Oskargasteiz

Post by Oskargasteiz »

Wow!!! :shock:
I like this machines! In Spain, when Franco lives (until 1975), the gambling was prohibited, so here there aren´t any machine of this kind.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It's a Bally Basket Ball by Bally Manufacturing Corporation of Chicago, 1940.
Attachments
ballybasketball.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Darren Hesketh wrote a piece for issue 8 (Dec. 2006) featuring his Museum of Amusements at the Candle Workshops, Cheshire. Here are the pictures published in that issue of the magazine.

Unfortunately, I've not yet had a chance to visit Darren's collection, but if you're in the Chesire area this is well worth a visit as he has a large and varied selection of machines.
Attachments
Darren 1.jpg
Darren 2.jpg
Darren 3.jpg
Darren 4.jpg
Darren 5.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

In issue 14, I featured Joe Pettit's incredible collection at the Bones Lane Antiques Centre, Battlesbridge, Essex. This is a relatively small collection, but an absolute must - particularly if you like working models. Joe has some absolute classics here!

Here are some of the pictures published in issue 14
Attachments
Battlesbridge Bell Ringers.jpg
Battlesbridge Cycle Racer.jpg
Battlesbridge English Execution.jpg
Battlesbridge Haunted House.jpg
Battlesbridge Sleeping Beauty.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

And here's another picture published in issue 14, one of two beautifully engineered model engines Joe has at Battlesbridge, both believed to have been recased for coin-operation by Charles Ahrens.

Please click on the image to enlarge - the detail is incredible.
Attachments
Battlesbridge Beam Engine.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Stuart Dale has undertaken a grand tour of the British Isles this year, and has visited a number of vintage slot sites, including me down in Brighton and Clive Baker's arcade on Southport pier. Stuart wrote a piece on Chris Parcell's 'Old Penny Memories' in Bridlington, which appeared in issue 37. Here are the pictures, plus a couple of extras that I was unable to publish due to space limitations.
Attachments
Old Penny Memories 1.jpg
Old Penny Memories 2.jpg
Old Penny Memories 3.jpg
Old Penny Memories 4.jpg
Old Penny Memories 5.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Stuart continued his grand tour of British vintage slot venues in issue 38, with a report on his visit to Arreton Barns on the Isle of White. Here are the pictures as published in the magazine. plus a couple more.
Attachments
Arreton Barns 1.jpg
Arreton Barns 2.jpg
Arreton Barns 3.jpg
Arreton Barns 4.jpg
Arreton Barns 5.jpg
Arreton Barns 6.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Stuart Dale wrote a piece for issue 43 on his Valentine's day visit to Darren's old-time penny arcade at the Candle Workshops. Here are the pictures, including the image on the front cover of the magazine - the fortune teller, thought to be a 1930s Coin Operating Co. machine.
Attachments
's Gypsy.jpg
Issue 43 Darren 1.jpg
Issue 43 Darren 2.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Stuart Dale has been vintage penny arcade visiting again, this time the arcade at Peter Williamson's Merrivale model village, Great Yarmouth. I first featured Peter's arcade way back in issue 4, so it was good to be able to publish Stuart's report over fours years later in issue 47.
Here are the pictures as published in the magazine, including one of a large collection of kiddie rides which did not make it in the magazine due to space limitations.
Attachments
Merrivale 1.jpg
Merrivale 2.jpg
Merrivale 3.jpg
Merrivale 4.jpg
grabber

Post by grabber »

Is Chris Parcell's arcade at Bridlington still open?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi, :D Chris had hoped to keep the arcade running, but he was forced to close at the end of the last season not long after I did my visit :cry: , I think that row of buildings he was in is due for redevelopment, Stuart. :tarah:
grabber

Post by grabber »

Thanks for the info.
Is there a list of penny arcades or places that have old arcade machines?