Videos of vintage slot machines in action.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Vintage Slots in Films and Newsreels

Postby pennymachines » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:37 pm

From Bell-Fruit Games.co.uk

A brief history of the Bell Fruit Manufacturing Co., of Nottingham.

Explaining the 1960s Bell Fruit bandit mechanism.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:16 am

Just stumbled onto a great scene in the 1947 film "Hue and Cry" with a 1930's Ahrens Talkie Scale. Shown in close up and different angles for at least a minute. Eventually gets knocked over but didn't seem to damage the exterior, bet it killed the record though. Can't find a link on the web.

rippyspennyarcade

Postby rippyspennyarcade » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:18 pm

I've just checked my dvd copy of the film Hue and Cry and the clip gameswat refers to appears 35 minutes into the film.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:54 pm

chico

Postby chico » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:20 pm

nice collection of slot machines on heartbeat itv3 tonight
DSC07914.JPG
DSC07908.JPG

livinginthepast

Bally Daily Dozen

Postby livinginthepast » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:16 pm

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Bally Daily Dozen being played towards the end of this short clip http://www.britishpathe.com/video/good- ... or-drivers

treefrog

Re: Bally Daily Dozen

Postby treefrog » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:11 pm

Great film..... made me think of that great late '50s film that launched many a great British actor, "Hell Drivers".
Seen a few documentaries about lorry driving of the time and it was a tough old game then and rarely a heated cab.

chris rideout

Postby chris rideout » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:59 pm

I saw the film "Bad Day at Black Rock" (1955). The time was set in 1946, so one arm bandits were a fairly common sight. The machine in the cafe/bar looked like a Mills Poinsettia introduced in 1929. The coin entry at the top right hand side and the square jackpot window suggest this. Lee Marvin played the machine and fed a considerable amount of cash into it for several minutes. It was a pity that the camera didn't show a close up of the reels.

In January 1951, the Johnson Act was signed by President Harold Truman and I am reasonably certain that Nevada was the only state to allow one arm bandits after that date. In other places, the machines were smashed up for scrap or thrown into the ocean. Some were stored and exported to Great Britain in the early 1960s when the gaming laws were relaxed and the British government issued licences for the machines.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:58 pm

The Johnson act (1951) in no way bans slot machines. What it does do is ban the movement of slot machines to a state where machines are banned by state law. This law is still in force but has been modified many times since 1951. There has, I think, never been a law totally banning machines in the USA, although it's come pretty close. There was a major ban in the late '40s and one as late as the '60s which led to the demise of Mills. Laws like the Johnston act have made it hard to use machines in the States and has encouraged states to ban the use of machines as the act makes it much easier to enforce a ban (i.e. any machine in a banned state shouldn't be there in the first place).

chris rideout

Postby chris rideout » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:29 pm

coppinpr wrote:The Johnson act (1951) in no way bans slot machines. What it does do is ban the movement of slot machines to a state where machines are banned by state law. This law is still in force but has been modified many times since 1951. There has, I think, never been a law totally banning machines in the USA, although it's come pretty close.
Thanks for the clarification. I took my (rather vague) information about the American gaming scene from a book about coin-op games. In Great Britain, we have had gaming laws relaxed since 1961 and when the National Lottery arrived in 1994, we seemed to become a nation of gamblers.