Videos of vintage slot machines in action.
slotalot

Re: Vintage Slots in Films and Newsreels

Postby slotalot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:55 am

Coin-op wrote:
slotalot wrote:And yet more :D , This time from the TV sitcom Steptoe & Son,
I seem to recall that a few episodes of Steptoe & Son had allwins in them. They were often to be seen on the staircase landing as Harold or his dad came in the front door....so keep looking! :D
Hi Coin-opp :D , It looks like you have a good memory, I have been to the Steptoe's again and found this :!: , the photo shows Albert in the hall with an allwin standing upside-down on the half-landing just as you said :claps:. anyone know what type it is??? :tarah:
step2.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:04 am

The so called comedy programme "Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps" (never had the stomach to watch a complete episode) the pub scene always has a german electro mech wall machine by the bar.

The Money Programme a few years back in the opening sequence showed a city street with bandits as buildings, I remember a Mills Hi-Top and a Jennings Governor, I wonder who they borrowed them from?
Equally there was a trailer for East Enders (I believe) about 8 years back where somebody runs through the street market and as they pass a stall of junk there is a Sega laying skew wiff and they pull the handle as they pass and it stops on 3 bells. Anyone remember any of that or is my mind more addled than I feared? In fact on that subject I'm starting a new thread about machines made to payout for films etc.

Badpenny

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:53 pm

:*** And More :***

This time from the 1970s sitcom "On The Busses".
This was shot in the Luxton & District Traction Co canteen, and shows the happless Inspector Blake (Stephen Lewis) standing next to a very nice Sega Bandit and stand :cool:

I have also found a shot from the NOT very PC :oops: sitcom "Love Thy Neighbour" in which we see the main cast of Jacko (Keith Marsh), Bill Reynolds (Rudolph Walker), Eddie Booth (Jack Smethurst) and Arthur (Tommy Godfrey) at a Union meeting in the social club, spot the bandit next to the bar, I am not sure if its a Sega or a Mills but I know a man that will :arrow: Over to you Badpenny.... :tarah:
bus2.jpg
love2.jpg

JC

Postby JC » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:31 pm

Slotalot, where do you find the time to watch all these films, on the off-chance that you might catch a glimpse of a slot machine?

I think the allwin in the Steptoe clip is a Whales Treble Chance. Here's the allwin the right way up.
step2.jpg
step2.jpg (12.27 KiB) Viewed 2942 times

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Postby coin-op » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:32 pm

I have been to the Steptoe's again and found this
Well done slotalot. Now i seem to recall that the St Trinian films had some machines in them. In one film a parent (was it Frankie Howerd?) placed slot machines all around the school; a van pulled up and when they opened the door it was piled high with bandits. In either the same or another film there is a chase scene up and down a railway track and there are Cast iron double Nestle chocolate machines on the platform. There is also a pic of an arcade with a Wurlitzer 500 at the front featured in a Diana Dors film (was it called 'a kid for two farthings'). :)

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:21 pm

Coin-op wrote:
I have been to the Steptoe's again and found this
Well done slotalot. Now i seem to recall that the St Trinian films had some machines in them.
Hi Coin-op :D St Trinian :?: yes I think you may be right, I have not seen that one for a long long time. :cry: ..............
:idea: and dont forget that all requests must be written on the back of a five pound note :wink:
I will keep digging and see what turns up :tarah:

special when lit

Postby special when lit » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:27 pm

Haven't got any pictures, but I seem to remember that there was a Jubilee bandit in the bar on Fawlty Towers.

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:04 pm

JC wrote:Slotalot, where do you find the time to watch all these films, on the off-chance that you might catch a glimpse of a slot machine?

I think the allwin in the Steptoe clip is a Whales Treble Chance. Here's the allwin the right way up.
Hi JC :D , Thanks for that,when I look at it that way up I can see what you mean :thumbs: and as for finding time to look, well its all down to a good memory for sad facts :-( and the :arrow: :arrow: FAST FORWARD :arrow: :arrow: button.
:*** I am even doing requests now :*** ......... :tarah:

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:58 pm

This is a nice screen shot from the 1937 Laurel & Hardy film Way Out West,
Can anyone tell me the names of the four Vintage Machines in this photo
Some serous antiques in that still, though I can only see three of 'em.

Left is a double Mills Dewy similar to the picture below, $100,000 today for you, guv, cheap at 'alf the price. There were several manufacturers, Caille was another. They show up quite often in old photos from Wild West saloons. Center is a cigar store poker trade stimulator, possibly a Charles Fey, from around 1890, value unknown but likely to be six figures again. I've seen a picture before of the machine on the right, but at the moment I can't remember what it is, though I'm pretty sure it dates back to about 1910. I'll look it up tonight.
mills-dewey.jpg
<edit> The center machine is a Reliance. I can't identify the one on the right.
reliance.jpg
Last edited by operator bell on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:00 am

slotalot wrote:
I have also found a shot from the NOT very PC :oops: sitcom "Love Thy Neighbour" in which we see the main cast of Jacko (Keith Marsh), Bill Reynolds (Rudolph Walker), Eddie Booth (Jack Smethurst) and Arthur (Tommy Godfrey) at a Union meeting in the social club, spot the bandit next to the bar, I am not sure if its a Sega or a Mills but I know a man that will :arrow: Over to you Badpenny.... :tarah:
The round badge above the escalator could carry either Mills' Owl or the SEGA star but I'd guess a Sega, due to the formica sides, I've not seen a Mills Hi Top with placcy sides (awaits to be educated by incoming) also the belly castings look chromed, it could of course be one of those German copies I've seen a couple of. Covers all angles, nods in a fake sage like manner and slowly ambles off for second cup of coffee in 10 minutes ............ 8)