Enter the Honourable Judge's favourite tavern for a dram of Tittle Tattle. There's an ancient bandit in the corner, but I forget his name...
operator bell

Re: This country is so stuffed!

Postby operator bell » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:46 pm

Oh, come now, it isn't as bad as all that. The banks and bond traders are still doing OK, aren't they? Fortnum and Masons is still open? Stringfellows still pretty crowded? And I don't see any high-class jewelers or Ferrari dealerships on that list. Besides, these energy-sucking high street stores would have to close anyway in a few years, when Britain's electricity production is cut by 80% to meet EU carbon emission standards and the cost goes up to two pounds a kW.hr.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:02 pm

!PRAY!! Phew ..... that is a relief! Thanks OB

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:12 am

Oh, come now, it isn't as bad as all that. The banks and bond traders are still doing ok, aren't they? Fortnum and Masons is still open? Stringfellows still pretty crowded? And I don't see any high-class jewelers or Ferrari dealerships on that list
The bankers and bond traders are doing OK but not the banks and trading houses (now there is a surprise). Fortnums are, unbelievably, owned by Primart, the cheapest clothing chain in the UK. They bought Fortnums as a tax loss and it's done its job by losing money every year for the last ten years. There are no Ferrari dealerships in the UK. Ferrari rents space in other dealerships. My wife is a jeweler and the trade consists mostly in buying scrap gold rather than selling new items and NO ONE who is anyone would be seen dead in Stringfellows :o
We do have Wonga.com so no one needs to go short of money @&@

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:33 am

Shoot, you leave a country for 25 years and they go and change everything. Fortnums owned by a chain store?!? Where does the Queen buy her groceries these days, then?

bryans fan

Postby bryans fan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:06 am

Lidl and Poundland!

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:12 am

Operator Bell wrote: Where does the Queen buy her groceries these days, then?
She has quite a big garden at the back of the palace, she could grow her own :D
Well that's my nighthood for sevices to vintage slot machines out of the window :oops:
queen-liz-digging-dirt.jpg
queen-liz-digging-dirt.jpg (102.62 KiB) Viewed 1550 times

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:43 pm

You can still have the nighthood, it's a thing muggers wear after dark in Brixton. It's the knighthood that might be out of your reach :lol:

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:59 pm

coppinpr wrote:
.......................... and NO ONE who is anyone would be seen dead in Stringfellows :o .................
That's why I didn't see you there on Wrinklies' Night last Tuesday!
slotalot wrote: Well that's my nighthood for sevices to vintage slot machines out of the window :oops:
Platalot.jpg
Platalot.jpg (22.35 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:17 pm

Well done Pike!! ...I wondered who would be first to spot that.
But how did you know it was me?
Ski-Mask-Good-4-Manips-psd16857.png
Ski-Mask-Good-4-Manips-psd16857.png (36.98 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

youngerap

Postby youngerap » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 am

This will make you laugh. Just been in touch with the passport office. I applied for a renewal form a couple of weeks ago and so far have not received it. Spent 10 minutes getting through the crappy telephone menu system and then being transferred to the right department, just to be told that "the computer system failed and has not been printing the completed forms". I asked if they are now going to print the thing and was told that no, the computer no longer holds the data. I have to log on and try again or they can send a form by second class mail. Send it by mail, I said, because I cannot trust their crappy computer system. She actually said that would be her recommendation too, as the computer system is appalling! But all will be well later this year, because they have a new one coming. 'Good luck with that' was my response. 'We are going to need it' she said. This country is so stuffed.