Holes

Enter the Honourable Judge's favourite tavern for a dram of Tittle Tattle. There's an ancient bandit in the corner, but I forget his name...
treefrog

Holes

Post by treefrog »

I know this is an old topic in this country, but feel the need to rage somewhere, so this place seems as good as any.....

Bleeding holes in the road. And this is not just an issue where I live, but have seen all over the country..It seems councils have used cut backs as an excuse to create some of the worst road conditions I recall seeing in my 30 years of driving....It had now got to the point of being ridiculous and down right dangerous.

Being a motorcyclist, this proves to be a serious challenge. I use to do large motorcycle tours 10+ years ago, the largest a 15,000 mile trek over 3 months covering most countries in Europe as far east as Hungary and genuinely we have some of the worse roads in Europe. In some countries like Spain and a lot of eastern European countries the roads are superb and often ones in the middle of now where, brand new roads. Of course funded by us with signed everywhere proudly announcing EEC funding.

A 300 yard radius from my house is incredible with holes now up to 8 inches deep and a metre across. I will be out with a camera to prove how bad. I could not find any data on the cut backs and how many people have either been injured by these or claimed money for damaged wheels or vehicles. This has gone on for the last 3 years gradually getting worse.

There is a website for reporting holes, but judging by their results not always effective...

Rant over !!RANT!!
jimmy55

Re: Holes

Post by jimmy55 »

I'm not sure how many get reported sometimes. I've phoned up to report dropped manhole covers. and to their credit Norfolk County council have responded pretty quickly, but it is the usual run-around to get the right department and a lot of hassle. Interestingly they kept my name on file after my first report and it came up on their system on a subsequent matter (when the verge cutters put a stone though my car windscreen :evil: ).
I think a direct call will do more than a website. I guess each council is different. You certainly notice these things more on 2 wheels though!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

!!><!!
Maybe we should start a petition to try and get them filled in !!IDEA!!

!SOFA!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Unfortunately Stuart, they seem to get lost down holes as well.

I too am a biker, one of my HDs is a hard tail.
It's certainly as dangerous avoiding the pot holes as it is the diesel spills on roundabouts near filling stations.

I think the days of claiming off the council for damaged rims is gone, they don't wear that one round here anymore. They call it paying attention to your surroundings whilst driving.

The other annoying thing, not to mention expensive, is damage to suspension and wheel bearings, you don't know about that until MOT time.
Did you read about this bloke?