Scotland

Enter the Honourable Judge's favourite tavern for a dram of Tittle Tattle. There's an ancient bandit in the corner, but I forget his name...
polaris

Re: Scotland

Post by polaris »

BP I actually had very little schooling and would say am not the most articulate person on this forum hence the lack of punctuation. just to be clear i only took offence to the word Hate the rest of this was addressed at TF. i have travelled extensively south of the border and met many wonderful people, never had any issues except maybe once in café at paigton zoo when i was asked to stand in the corner while they took pictures of the horns on my head and wait around while someone found out if it was ok to accept a Scottish banknote :cool: no hate here my friend
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Americans are a bit vague about geography. I mentioned the referendum to a friend of mine. She looked a bit puzzled, then said "Scotland - is that in London?"

Anyway, you're going to need a new flag.

New-Flag.png
New-Flag.png (4.03 KiB) Viewed 3908 times

jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

polaris wrote:.... wait around while someone found out if it was ok to accept a Scottish banknote
the biggest financial effect of a "yes" vote will be the total collapse of the economy in Blackpool where you are just as likely to get a Scottish note as a "regular" one, and they might need special permission to sell those tam o'shanters with the built in ginger wig too!

It is kind of interesting when you bring it down to a simple level, for instance, I have taken my family to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo on several occasions. It relies heavily on British forces, predominantly Army. Quite rightly of course there is much playing of bagpipes and marching up and down in kilts, but I don't believe there are any Scottish regiments in the British Army any more, so would the British Army and all it's attendant Scottish bits be relegated to the same status as The Trinidad and Tobago Police Steel band or Maori dancers.

......and this might well be a plot dreamed up by the Obama administration anyway, I believe they have lifted the ban on importing haggis this year!
woody2

Post by woody2 »

moray firth has had Russian subs and ships a few miles off shore recently. as Scotland are not going to have a navy what are they going too do? wave a haggis at them?
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

woody2 wrote:moray firth has had Russian subs and ships a few miles off shore recently. as Scotland are not going to have a navy what are they going too do? wave a haggis at them?
Hmmm. More to the point, I would suggest, is the question "Where was the UK Royal Navy when the Russian warships were parked off the UK coast?".

Perhaps more attention should be given to the security of our own coastline and, particularly, our oilfields rather than wasting the UK resources in the Middle East where they are neither welcome nor can make one iota of difference?
polaris

Post by polaris »

not such a good idea waving haggis even if you can catch them they wriggle around too much. woody maybe you could bring buzz and the rest of the gang and sort out all the alchoholic wifebeaters and rescue us from returning to the dark ages
woody2

Post by woody2 »

polaris wrote:not such a good idea waving haggis even if you can catch them they wriggle around too much. woody maybe you could bring buzz and the rest of the gang and sort out all the alchoholic wifebeaters and rescue us from returning to the dark ages
your a southerner from where i am :HaHa:

tax receipts and spending from 1980 to 2012. Scotland had paid in £1,425bn in tax receipts, including a geographic share of oil revenues. Public spending in and for Scotland was £15bn more at £1,440bn. !PUNISH!
woody2

Post by woody2 »

youngerap wrote: "Where was the UK Royal Navy when the Russian warships were parked off the UK coast?".
HMS York was right next to it :D the subs can show up anytime :shock: but the navy are on hand

what will happen when scotland has no navy?
raj

Post by raj »

though this subject has absolutely nothing to do with slots, my recent experience of the 'funny money' gleaned from a very nice man from Scotland may be worth sharing. Every single note of the wedge was put through the ultraviolet scanner and had to be authorised by a manager. This was in a large HBOS branch, which I understand is Scottish owned. If the Yes vote is successful, I very much doubt anyone will touch their money with a very long barge pole, let alone use any Scottish bank to deposit English pounds. My hope is a No vote, as the nutters running the Yes campaign have no idea of the permanent damage they will cause to Scotland and it's people. The ill will generated will take decades to subside, and for what? One man's vain glorious attempt for posterity.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I don't pretend to understand the ins and outs of all this !PUZZLED!
But I would have thought with all the problems brewing in the middle east (and at home!) this was a time when we need to be united more than ever?? :!?!:
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

Stuart Slotalot you've already achieved independence - I believe Yorkshire folk consider themselves to be a separate country and you think the "Western Front" is the Pennines
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Jonesthegarage wrote:Stuart Slotalot you've already achieved independence - I believe Yorkshire folk consider themselves to be a separate country and you think the "Western Front" is the Pennines
Yes but we still do missionary work for the less fortunate in places like Blackpool.... !!SHIT!!...... /\UK/\
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Well that went the way I expected, and by twice the margin the polls were predicting. Now that ridiculous and expensive circus is out of the way it's time to address a far graver injustice.

Scotland already has its own assembly, in which bluiddy sassenachs don't get to vote and which can't be kicked around by Westminster. So does Wales. So does Northern Ireland. However, the Scots, the Welsh and the Irish all have a say over the government of England.

Isn't it time there was an English Assembly?

I believe there needs to be a referendum to establish an English national assembly. England demands the right to self-determination, free from the tyranny of Westminster with its self-interested Scots, Welsh and Irish contingents. Devolution Now, say I. Why should we subject ourselves to the corrupt bottomless pit of Westminster, which does nothing for us except to subject us to punitive taxation and pointless regulations about wheelie bins, and exists only to squander our wealth on feckless provinces and foreign entanglements of no benefit to an Englishman? Let us restore the ancient houses of York, Lancaster and Wessex and proudly declare our independence from corrupt Scottish, Irish, Welsh and Westminsterish hegemony.

FREEDOM!
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

What a wind-up, OP! :NBG:

Now, stop encouraging the feckless political classes to reproduce out into the Counties. We already waste far too much money on Labour's failed devolution experiment as it is. '!' All that is needed is a simple rule at Westminster: for devolved matters, only MPs from the affected country / countries can take part in debate and voting. When the subject matter affects the entire UK, MPs from all of the UK will be welcome.

Simples.

Fair.

And cheap. :cool:

With no need for yet more bloody, self-serving, lying bastard politicians. !!THUMBSX2!!
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Actually, after posting the above I learned I'd been scooped by the Daily Mail. Oh the humiliation! Since I found the Mail article on a blog, I don't know if it's real or not - the absence of a Red Top and a dateline suggests otherwise - but it's the internet! Everything on the internet is true.

mail_fp.jpg