Scotland

Enter the Honourable Judge's favourite tavern for a dram of Tittle Tattle. There's an ancient bandit in the corner, but I forget his name...
john t peterson

Scotland

Post by john t peterson »

I'm surprised the topic of potential independence for Scotland has not raised its crazy little head here.

What gives with the movement? You UK'ers not treating them nice enough?

I'm a Wales man myself (on my father's side) so I don't have a dog in this fight. I did see the film "Brave Heart" with Mel Gibson as William Wallace, though.

J Peterson
Welsh, not Scottish !!USA!!
treefrog

Re: Scotland

Post by treefrog »

Very emotive topic and the English seem to have very little say in the decision. Of course the politicians make fools of themselves campaigning for the no vote.....

The Scots haven ever stopped moaning in 300 years. They care less about the risk or impact on themselves of such a change as the priority is of course autonomy and nation pride/identity. Most of us are proud of being British, except the Scots, so let them go their own way as far as I am concerned. Question is what happens to the rest of the union of the United Kingdom and Great Britain? Perhaps we can rename them "Lesser Britain" and "No so United Kingdom"

Anyway at least the Scots can run their own government and not run Westminster which they have done for the last 20 years..... !!ESCAPE!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I lived there 1958-1965 so I did my Primary Schooling in Scotland.
I know all about racial prejudice, and got beaten up in the playground daily.
They hate us.

At the same school were the children of USAF officers from the nearby Air Base. The Red Indians (Native Americans I believe is the current terminology) Eskimos and Negroes were delighted I was there, I took all the flack off them.

What's funny is very few of them realise why they were part of The Union in the first place.
Your typical Tam O' Shanter, Shortbread Biscuit Tin, Tartaned nationalist chunters on about English domination.
They either forget or don't know we bailed them out when they went bankrupt after fouling up their commonwealth investment. They needed to join us.

My childhood bruises and I are quite indifferent to their future.

/\UK/\
polaris

Post by polaris »

all this drivel and referendum not taken place yet. dont really want to get involved in debate about this but think HATE a little strong maybe you just got one of those faces people want to whack !!GRUMP!! as for moaning for the last 300 years and MOST of us proud to British strange that you say the English have little to say in the matter are northern Ireland and wales not involved also. I for one and know many more who are proud to be part of the union so don't be a **** and tar everyone with the same brush
woody2

Post by woody2 »

John T. Peterson wrote: I did see the film "Brave Heart" with Mel Gibson as William Wallace, though.
they complained about that film in Scotland, then he turned into a alcoholic wifebeater and fitted straight in :HaHa:

live in the highlands part of the year never had a problem with been english, my mother is a scot, not many snp supporters around here.

if it is a yes scotland will go back to the dark ages
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

I decided that this wonderful forum would not be best served by my rant. So I deleted it.

Good luck to everyone north of the border.

You are correct, Mr Peterson. No interest here. !!RANT!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

JP, what have you started, now you know why people haven't raised the topic.......

A couple more things, we would never get in the top 3 medal tables at the Olympics again (well perhaps that was a one off anyway) and the Conservatives would win the next election (given Labour had so many seats in Scotland) maybe why they are making little effort to change opinion.

I met a couple of Officers from the Royal Navy in a pub a couple of weeks ago, from Fastlane.......Boy I thought I had started WWIII, they were not happy with any sarcasm on the topic.....had to change the subject quickly....

I believe Scotland would survive Independence, but for a period we would all suffer ......Mr PM we need a few more flags to select as there is only a Union Jack.....
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

polaris wrote:all this drivel and referendum not taken place yet. dont really want to get involved in debate about this but think HATE a little strong maybe you just got one of those faces people want to whack !!GRUMP!! as for moaning for the last 300 years and MOST of us proud to British strange that you say the English have little to say in the matter are northern Ireland and wales not involved also. I for one and know many more who are proud to be part of the union so don't be a **** and tar everyone with the same brush
An excellent response to my rant based on personal abuse as a child.
I do have a face people want to whack and many have tried, I've always been saddened by those lacking in communication skills who resort to violence.
The referendum is imminent so we'll soon see if the most really do want to stay British.
I apologise for tarring everyone with the same brush but as I have been a **** most of my life, it's difficult to change the habit of a lifetime. I guess being picked up by 4 boys and thrown under a lorry on the way home because I was English scarred me for life, you'd think after 52 years I'd have gotten over it. I guess once bitten twice shy, because I haven't.
Actually I hope Scotland doesn't depart, the whole thing seems as ludicrous to me as the fact that the rest of The UK doesn't have a say in this.

However as I personally can't have an affect, there's no point in caring, so I don't.

BP
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Oooops….I seem to have opened Pandora's Box a wee bit and that certainly was not my intention. The question of Scottish independence is just now beginning to get American media attention. We're xenophobic for the most part here in the US; if it doesn't happen to affect us, we don't really care. As a result, I was not aware of the upcoming referendum which only speaks to my ignorance, of course. I was interested in the opinion of the lads I most respect, those being all of you here on Pennymachines.

Respecting the sensitivities of all, I ask Mr. Pennymachines to let this be the end cap on the discussion.

Nursey, would you please notify him for me?

Respectfully yours,

John Peterson
UK for all in the US
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

Yes John, you seem to have hit a hornet's nest with a big stick there. Good job you didn't ask if US should follow suit and leave the Empire. What? You mean they took that decision already? When did that happen? Why is it you can't move for yanks in London for most of the year then, surely not all tourists, I thought they'd come here to pay their taxes to the Queen.

Anyway, I can proudly say I am British, English by birth, part Irish, part Scottish, part Welsh, even got a bit of the old Scandinavian in there for good measure and with a name like Peterson I can guess there was a Swedish sailor somewhere in your father's Welsh heritage.

Next time, observe the old pub rule of never discussing Religion or Politics (or what you would, wouldn't and definitely not what you DID do to your friend's wife) !!ESCAPE!!
polaris

Post by polaris »

BP I actually had very little schooling and would say am not the most articulate person on this forum hence the lack of punctuation. just to be clear i only took offence to the word Hate the rest of this was addressed at TF. i have travelled extensively south of the border and met many wonderful people, never had any issues except maybe once in café at paigton zoo when i was asked to stand in the corner while they took pictures of the horns on my head and wait around while someone found out if it was ok to accept a Scottish banknote :cool: no hate here my friend
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Americans are a bit vague about geography. I mentioned the referendum to a friend of mine. She looked a bit puzzled, then said "Scotland - is that in London?"

Anyway, you're going to need a new flag.

New-Flag.png
New-Flag.png (4.03 KiB) Viewed 3896 times

jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

polaris wrote:.... wait around while someone found out if it was ok to accept a Scottish banknote
the biggest financial effect of a "yes" vote will be the total collapse of the economy in Blackpool where you are just as likely to get a Scottish note as a "regular" one, and they might need special permission to sell those tam o'shanters with the built in ginger wig too!

It is kind of interesting when you bring it down to a simple level, for instance, I have taken my family to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo on several occasions. It relies heavily on British forces, predominantly Army. Quite rightly of course there is much playing of bagpipes and marching up and down in kilts, but I don't believe there are any Scottish regiments in the British Army any more, so would the British Army and all it's attendant Scottish bits be relegated to the same status as The Trinidad and Tobago Police Steel band or Maori dancers.

......and this might well be a plot dreamed up by the Obama administration anyway, I believe they have lifted the ban on importing haggis this year!
woody2

Post by woody2 »

moray firth has had Russian subs and ships a few miles off shore recently. as Scotland are not going to have a navy what are they going too do? wave a haggis at them?
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

woody2 wrote:moray firth has had Russian subs and ships a few miles off shore recently. as Scotland are not going to have a navy what are they going too do? wave a haggis at them?
Hmmm. More to the point, I would suggest, is the question "Where was the UK Royal Navy when the Russian warships were parked off the UK coast?".

Perhaps more attention should be given to the security of our own coastline and, particularly, our oilfields rather than wasting the UK resources in the Middle East where they are neither welcome nor can make one iota of difference?
polaris

Post by polaris »

not such a good idea waving haggis even if you can catch them they wriggle around too much. woody maybe you could bring buzz and the rest of the gang and sort out all the alchoholic wifebeaters and rescue us from returning to the dark ages
woody2

Post by woody2 »

polaris wrote:not such a good idea waving haggis even if you can catch them they wriggle around too much. woody maybe you could bring buzz and the rest of the gang and sort out all the alchoholic wifebeaters and rescue us from returning to the dark ages
your a southerner from where i am :HaHa:

tax receipts and spending from 1980 to 2012. Scotland had paid in £1,425bn in tax receipts, including a geographic share of oil revenues. Public spending in and for Scotland was £15bn more at £1,440bn. !PUNISH!
woody2

Post by woody2 »

youngerap wrote: "Where was the UK Royal Navy when the Russian warships were parked off the UK coast?".
HMS York was right next to it :D the subs can show up anytime :shock: but the navy are on hand

what will happen when scotland has no navy?
raj

Post by raj »

though this subject has absolutely nothing to do with slots, my recent experience of the 'funny money' gleaned from a very nice man from Scotland may be worth sharing. Every single note of the wedge was put through the ultraviolet scanner and had to be authorised by a manager. This was in a large HBOS branch, which I understand is Scottish owned. If the Yes vote is successful, I very much doubt anyone will touch their money with a very long barge pole, let alone use any Scottish bank to deposit English pounds. My hope is a No vote, as the nutters running the Yes campaign have no idea of the permanent damage they will cause to Scotland and it's people. The ill will generated will take decades to subside, and for what? One man's vain glorious attempt for posterity.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I don't pretend to understand the ins and outs of all this !PUZZLED!
But I would have thought with all the problems brewing in the middle east (and at home!) this was a time when we need to be united more than ever?? :!?!: