Disc-o-games

Enter the Honourable Judge's favourite tavern for a dram of Tittle Tattle. There's an ancient bandit in the corner, but I forget his name...
jimmy55

Disc-o-games

Post by jimmy55 »

Not coin operated, but I just wonder if anyone had ever come across this game before. Its tinplate and is just over 10" diameter and shaped rather like a large crown cap from a beer bottle. Its really well made with a nice flywheel on the small spinner and lead weights to make the big arrow spin. I cant find any ref. to disc-o'games online and the names around the outside mean nothing to me at all? !PUZZLED!
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
arrgee

Re: Disc-o-games

Post by arrgee »

I wonder if this originally came with a pack of cards Jimmy? Looks as if you place a bet by putting your coin in the 'dished' areas adjacent to the (horses?) names. Set the small dial and spin the arrow and see what the odds are, ie: 25 (large dial) to 1 (small dial). Cards could be played to determine winner as in the card game 'newmarket'
Just a new year thought :!?!:
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

The names around the edge are of racehorses born between 1917 and 1920. Tishy (died 1923) was subject to cartoons as it was reputed to cross its legs when running.
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

In my day I think I have backed a lot of descendants of Tishy - an awful lot of those I backed hadn't grasped the rudiments of equine motion.

I backed one at 20/1

..................it was still running at quarter to four. !!YABBADABBA!!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

It could be that more than one type of game can be played on it. 'Put and Take' was a game often played in WW1 trenches. There would be a 'kitty' of say, a penny per player; spin the spinner in turn and follow the instructions, e.g. 'put 2' would mean you put 2 pennies into the kitty; 'take 1' means that player takes one from the kitty; 'put all' means that player doubles the kitty and so on, until 'take all' is obtained and a new kitty and game is started.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Your eloquence is most suitable JTG :lol:
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

As always I knew I could rely on you guys. **xXx** Those references really date it nicely. It came from some of the final items of stock that a house clearer has had stored in an old cottage oop here in N Norfolk. It wouldn't surprise me if there were cards at one time, now lost in a tea chest somewhere. Thanks again.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

This dates to about 1922-1923 and was registered under patent 204872 for Improvements in appliances for playing games of chance.
Probably should be a belt around the pulleys.
A few have sold at auction and on ebay in recent years around the £20-25 mark.
Attachments
spin.jpg
patent.jpg
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Fantastic, cheers TF ....I'll try an experiment with an elastic band! !THUMBS!
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Attachments
scamp.JPG