Saudi king dies

Enter the Honourable Judge's favourite tavern for a dram of Tittle Tattle. There's an ancient bandit in the corner, but I forget his name...
coppinpr

Saudi king dies

Post by coppinpr »

So the king of saudi has died,aged 90 , a lot of fuss because flags were ordered to fly at half mast, yes its not a nice regime but he did make some progress towards improving things, having been to these places I can tell you it will take 100 years to enlighten the average man in the street there whatever the king/government dose. Still...on the plus side the new "young blood" who is taking over (hes only 82) might speed things up and any country that bans women from driving cant be all bad...can it? :!?!:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Saudi king dies

Post by badpenny »

From what I'm aware of him, his regime might not have been in synchronisation with ours (who thinks we've got it right?)
However I understand he did a lot to keep The Arab States from losing their tempers with certain states that they might have identified as a threat.

The Palestinians might wish that "Super Guns" etc. had been allowed to take out their current oppressors, but we'd have been in the thick of that fall out.

He also kept oil flowing even when there was a lot of support to screw the West for every shekel by turning the taps off. Imagine how much we could be paying and the ridiculous situation that we are thrilled it's only just over £1 a litre when Americaland pays about that much a gallon?

I'm no enthusiast for Middle Eastern issues be they religious or political, I have enough difficulties with the crap Brussels dumps on us, and as for trying to communicate why bandit reels won't spin, don't start me! !!ESCAPE!!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Can't say I envied the old boy. From what I read he had 30+ wives. At one time? Does that even matter??

Yikes! :shock:

J Peterson
Serially monogamous in America
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'm not going to do the old gag about the punishment for polygamy being numerous mothers-in-law.
Blast ..... I just did!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

coppinpr wrote: it will take 100 years to enlighten the average man in the street there
My brother was stationed in the then 'Persian golf' whilst he was in the RAF, and whilst he was in the local town, a local man drove into the back of a car owned by my brothers mate - police called as it was getting a bit arm waving etc and the result...... policeman told my brother and his mate that if they were not in 'his' country in the first place, the crash would not have happened !! :o
..........can't really argue with that
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Old Arab proverb: "My grandfather rode a camel; my father drove a car; I fly an airplane; my grandson will ride a camel."
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I was told years ago that one of the worst curses an arab could shout at you is " May the flees of a thousand camels infest your armpits" better than a simple "sod off" dont you think !!YABBADABBA!!
bod

Post by bod »

May the Bluebird of Happiness crap on your birthday cake.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

What would an Arcade Owner's version be?
"May all your pennies be thin ones"
"That all your Allwin players have magnets"