Your thoughts on a non slot subject please

Enter the Honourable Judge's favourite tavern for a dram of Tittle Tattle. There's an ancient bandit in the corner, but I forget his name...
coppinpr

Your thoughts on a non slot subject please

Post by coppinpr »

I know this is nothing to do with our subject (thats why its in this section) but id really like some feedback from you guys on a new project im starting.

On my recent trip to the far east I was very surprised to find all the millions bycycles had disapeared from the big cities to be replaced by electric scooters. These look like near perfect student,short distance commuter,shopping transport as well as camper/caravan(canal boat) latch on run-about or fun bikes.
Ive decided to start importing them,I have a sample batch on order with the factory in China.
Attached are the details,Im not trying to sell them on the site,its early days yet,they wont be here for a while, the factory makes 20,000 per month yet they are still running about 21 days backlog!! then there is the shipping time.

I'm just asking for some feed back,any ideas and comments,good or bad are welcome. thanks, Paul....

bike7.jpg

write up.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Your thoughts on a non slot subject please

Post by badpenny »

I'd imagine the above is required, but am no expert on these matters.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

yes, as it says on my blurb "CE cert"
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

My only feedback is this looks like a scooter and goes like a bike.

If you do your research, there are dozens of electric bicycle options out there, some exceed 15mph and similar ranges. Also they look like bikes, lighter, more manageable and most importantly have peddles with gears if needed.

Just wonder what happens when you hit a steep hill or cycle on a pavement in a park and get the police called out on you, especially for not wearing a helmet.

At least the electric bicycles look like bikes not scooters.

Just my 2c worth, for what it is worth.......they sit between a electric bike and scooter, but not sure whether better than either !PUZZLED!
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

I do not wish to be a killjoy, but these are not bikes; they are motor powered vehicles ("Max speed 15mph but built to go faster"). "No insurance required"? I can see a nightmare coming for anyone unfortunate enough to be whacked by one of these machines being driven by a redbull-charged teenager. Who does one sue?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog wrote:Just wonder what happens when you hit a steep hill or cycle on a pavement in a park and get the police called out on you, especially for not wearing a helmet.
This, maybe... :!?!:
Attachments
bikes.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

coppinpr wrote:yes, as it says on my blurb "CE cert"
Oh yes, so it does, my eyes aren't blurb compliant.
What do they weigh?
The wheels look plastic are they?
youngerap wrote:I do not wish to be a killjoy, but these are not bikes; they are motor powered vehicles ("Max speed 15mph but built to go faster"). "No insurance required"? I can see a nightmare coming for anyone unfortunate enough to be whacked by one of these machines being driven by a redbull-charged teenager. Who does one sue?
They are electric powered bicycles with pedal assistance and as such appear to be within the law. However Segways and self balancing hoverboard things have suddenly been made illegal mainly for the way they were being used. Like those mini motos the irresponsible activities of the numpties these things attract usually results in an adverse public opinion. Look at the bad publicity drones now attract.
I imagine you'd have to take a civil action against the owner/rider, however if they're a gobby "I know my rights" teenager they won't have anything to pay you with anyway.
Mind you that in itself could be a business opportunity, selling insurance for commission.

Disability pavement scooters 4 mph, don't need a license or insurance (however there is a move to remedy that) not a bad thing in my view.
When someone in the family got one a few years ago it was spelt out how you could be sued if you ran into someone or caused an accident so we were frightened into buying it.

Badpenny...... a Harley rider. !!CRASH!! (Noisy exhausts save lives)
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I can see a nightmare coming for anyone unfortunate enough to be whacked by one of these machines being driven by a redbull-charged teenager. Who does one sue?
the situation is exactly the same as if you are hit by a bicycle(which often go faster than 15mph) or electric bicycle
there are dozens of electric bicycle options out there, some exceed 15mph and similar ranges. Also they look like bikes, lighter, more manageable and most importantly have peddles
ALL electric bikes are restricted to 15mph by law,many,including mine, will and do go faster but not within the law, almost all standard electric bikes sell for over £1000 and are not as good an option for shopping or short commutes especially in wet weather. these bikes do have peddles as they are EAPC compliant. Your quite right, they sit between a bike and a scooter which is what I like. Interesting too that in China the move has been completely to these and not standard electric bikes ,which are more like the peddle bikes they were used to, I suspect that is because these are so much more versatile when carrying goods or a second person. Im not saying they are better than anything but that they will fill a gap .
My only feedback is this looks like a scooter and goes like a bike.
yes that is what its soposed to be but giving you a cleaner ride with more carry options
They are electric powered bicycles with pedal assistance and as such appear to be within the law
they dont "appear" to be within the law they "are" within the law,they are designed that way, as I said before being hit by one would be the same as being hit by a peddle bike,and dont say that is not as bad because it can be,very much so, yet no one is saying lets have compulsory insurance for peddle bikes!

All good feedback, Im surprised no one sees anything good in them (although I think I know why that is) when they are so popular all over those parts of the world where they have been introduced
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

In general, we should be positively promoting non powered pedal cycles for all ages to assist in the problems of child and adult obesity. In Manchester they are trying by developing protected cycle lanes from traffic into the city centre, whilst increasing public transport options with extension of the tram network and other projects. It makes life difficult now but for those that follow it will be a more pleasant experience to be able to cycle to work/school/college/leisure etc.

I have no idea what current legislation is, however should Paul and others make this and the like, the preferred Xmas present for every 14 and 15 year old, then l am sure the legislation will have to change appropriately, but for the time being l am sure you will find plenty of buyers although l'm not a fan.
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

I suspect that is because these are so much more versatile when carrying goods or a second person
Second person? They doing a tandem version then?

!CYCLING! !CYCLING!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

badpenny wrote: They are electric powered bicycles with pedal assistance and as such appear to be within the law.
I said the above because over the years we have seen The UK Market flooded with Far East imported electronics that appear to be legal in so much as what the paperwork says.
However with all sorts of hoverboards etc bursting into flames one must doubt sufficiently in order to look deeper.

If you take the Wattage claimed in the blurb you're looking at approximately .33 of a HP (mechanical) hardly enough to pull the skin of a rice pudding.
A Honda moped which weighs much more and is restricted to 30 mph is not designed to accommodate a passenger and generates over 3 HP, clearly 10 times as much.

It seems these electric ones are capable of producing a fair bit more than 250 W (as hinted at in the blurb) which is legal outside of Europe. However over here the limit is set at around 249W so to get round that the advert/paperwork tends to be altered.

An attempt to restrict the power output is used by some manufacturers in the form of a solid state limiter. The downside of that is riders tend to use the throttle from minimum to maximum all of the time. This shortens the life of the controller quite quickly and they burn out.

OK I guess if you're offering an after market service and have the electronic knowledge to do repairs.
However anyone hoping to merely supply or even operate as a Drop Shipper could I think find themselves liable for rectifying the shortcomings generated by the manufacturer in order to hoodwink our under resourced frontier authorities.

Just saying !THUMBS!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

have you thought about shipping Trabants back from Russia? !!IDEA!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

strange as you might think I did not buy these on the strength of some advert (the blurb I show was written by me) I know the motor maker and its rating, the battery is warranted for 2 years,the controller for two years and the motor for two years, these are the same as the 250,000 the maker has sold in China and the 10,000 already sold to Turkey this year, Although Im the only one importing this 2016 model there are others who have been trying to sell (in the wrong way) like bikes for some time.
you need to contact the maker BP seems you know more than they do, looks like they need to recall the 500,000 successful bikes they have sold in the last 3 years!!

True I was looking for all feedback but didnt expect the automatic gainsaying of anything good in a very successful product,although in retrospect I should have expected it

end of thread
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Fair enough, only pointing out the need for due diligence.
So long as you're satisfied surely that's all that matters.

I guess you've heard all of the "I'm just asking for some feed back,any ideas and comments,good or bad are welcome. thanks, Paul...." that you need.

Believe it or not I wish you every success. :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

no problems BP,Im not put out at all,a little surprised thats all :lol:

viet31.jpg

I am hopeful they will have SOME power :D (yes I do know it not the same type of bike)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Now that one's a good idea, with an almost decent fuel tank as well. :didact:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Nice boost for my project. Gov have announced grants of up to 30% towards the cost of EAPC bikes :cool:
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

Good to hear the British taxpayer continues to do it's bit for the economy of poor old China.

Damned shame they can't do the same for the British steel industry. '!'
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

so what your saying is you dont agree with grants that benefit the environment and that would be available to British electric transport products...if we made any !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

If I had some fish I'd have fish & chips for dinner if I had some chips. :o