Money from heaven

General vintage slot machine related topics.
mervyngoodhew

Money from heaven

Post by mervyngoodhew »

Hi. I've just got around to fixing my scales. It needed two straps to hold the weights up, and a fortune telling reel and a few screws which I have sent off to the U.S.A. for. Also the coin mech was not working and I did not have a key for the front where the coin box is. I had a key for the back so was able to lift the locking bar to get the front open. All of a sudden, I heard an almighty crash. As I had my head in the back of the scales, I thought the weights had come crashing out. I got my head out and saw my kitchen floor was covered with coins - mostly 20 pences and a few 1p. All the coins were covered with oil - it took me a good hour to pick them all up, as with the oil on them they were sliding everywhere, even under the fridge - yes, I do have a fridge. Anyway, I filled a large bucket with the coins and took them down Sainsburys as they have one of them coin-counting machines. It came to £502.02p. I think I hit the jackpot with this machine.
slotalot

Re: Money from heaven

Post by slotalot »

Wow!!!!
I think we have all bought a machine and found a few coins in the back but this must be the world record :claps:
and now you have the cash to buy another machine,....... if you can find the room that is :tarah:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Winning the jackpot on a set of scales is bizarre ........... well done!
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

Hi Mervyn

You outbid me on those scales... I'm now kicking myself that I didn't bid at least a couple of hundred quid more...

Well done....
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
That is 2500 coins.....no wonder you had problems getting it upstairs. How on earth can someone not remember they were using their machine as a piggy bank, it serve's them right I guess........

Mind you I sold my dad's 20 year Lexus on eBay about 6 months ago, as he could no longer drive and it wasn't in great nick with no MOT and needing lots of work. A British guy from Spain bought it and had it shipped down to Gibraltar and he was happy with the £275 it made. That was until my sister told him about the 700 euro's that was in the visor she had seen days earlier............ :!:
mervyngoodhew

Post by mervyngoodhew »

It was not used as a piggy bank it was in the toilets of a nightclub. When it closed down the son of the owner cleared all the contents of the nightclub, and as there was no key for the front never realilised it had never been emptied thank god.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I hope they washed their hands '!'
goodpenny

Post by goodpenny »

How much were the scales?
mervyngoodhew

Post by mervyngoodhew »

The scales cost £331 plus £60 diesel, as I went there twice; £20 for my nephew to help me up the stairs and I have sent off for some parts, £80. Total £491.
Malcy Mal

Post by Malcy Mal »

What a wonderful story; best I found was under the cash bowl of a Jubilee mk1 - 56 pre 1940s silver sixpences. £500 in 20p's, awesome. When were the scales last in live working use? If it was recent, perhaps you should go through each 20p and look for the one without the date on it. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... value.html
mervyngoodhew

Post by mervyngoodhew »

It is too late, I have already changed them up in a coin machine in Sainsburys - pity I did not think of that.

Post by Guest »

Don't worry, there were 50 to 100 thousand made. I have seen loads and they're making
30 to 40 pounds. Shame on the 20,000 man.