Sega Bonanza Star

General vintage slot machine related topics.
stuart

Sega Bonanza Star

Post by stuart »

Hi, I need to pick somebody's brain. I have a machine in my loft called STRIKE A BONANZA made by Sega. Does anybody know anything about it or where I can get it restored ?
Thank you.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

sega bonanza star

Post by badpenny »

Hi Stuart...... Welcome to the friendliest and most helpful bunch of demented enthusiasts to be found this side of childhood!
There is a mine of information regarding anything useful, and, especially anything totally useless, to be accessed here regarding anything coin operated. Your machine probably being one that we all either own or have owned at one time.
However you are rather secretive and give no clue as to where you are. Most of us in our profiles drop hints as to our whereabouts. Security is of course an issue as there have been stories of ne'er do wells who target collections for nocturnal visits. However thankfully it is rare.
In order to advise on what would be needed to restore your machine it really is necessary to see it in detail and peer at the pixies inside that make it spin, clank and clunk.

If you feel safer staying hidden then I suggest you either go through the membership details under "Archive" and see if there is somebody near'ish to you. Carl Stein is a good guy, and lives centrally (Leicestershire) Alternatively post some close up photos.
Best of luck and I hope you enjoy being labelled one of us.

Badpenny (Coventry)
margamatix

Post by margamatix »

Hello Stuart and welcome in.

Firstly, a little about Sega's history......

"Founded in 1951 by American David Rosen, who moved permanently to Japan after WWII, Sega (originally dubbed Rosen Enterprises) started out as an art export company. By the late 1950's Rosen had moved on to importing instant photo booths and coin-op games from the United States.
Rosen Enterprises continued to expand. In 1965 the company purchased a jukebox manufacturing company, which was then merged into Rosen Enterprises. Upon completion of the merger, the company was renamed to Sega, which was a contraction of "Service Games." "

Source http://www.planetdreamcast.com/about/sega/

They were called "Service Games" because they supplied machines to US army bases in the far East.

I am not familiar with this particular machine but assume it is a standard Sega bandit. If so..........

Most Segas that I have seen use an exact copy of the much earlier Mills mechanism which dates from the late 1940s- I have been told that David Rosen simply "ripped this off" as it is not possible to copyright or patent a gambling device.

As to restoration, the mechanism is fairly simple if you have basic mechanical competancy. In my experience a good clean and lubrication of the gubbins will work wonders- do not over-oil though.

The most common fault with Sega bandits is that they do not pay out, and this is usually because a coin has become lost and has fallen into the coin-slider, either jamming it or dislodging the reset bar.

Servicing the mechanism properly means separating the top half (with the reels) from the bottom half (the base). This is more straightforward than it might seem, involving just half-a-dozen or so mechanical disconnections, mostly just circlips etc. Just make a note of what you are doing as you do this on paper and you should have no problems putting it back together.

As to restoring the body, it's up to you. If the paint is original and good, then I would suggest that you clean it up, and do nothing else. If it isn't good.....well, that's up to you. I have a Sega Diamond & Star which I bought as scrap and resprayed with a Halfords rattle-can. This might offend purists, but hey- it's my machine!

If there's anything else you need to know, just ask, I'll be happy to assist. Some photos would help.

Save Dreamland!
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Hello I just picked up a Sega Bonanza Star from my brother's home yesterday, he was about to drive it to the junk yard, so now it is mine.

I wanted to know something about it and found this site by googleing for Sega Bonanza Star!

It is a nice machine but it doesn't work. :-( When I pull down the arm it stops half way and wont go any further do someone know what might be wrong??

I will post pictures soon!!

Henrik
margamatix

Bonanza Star

Post by margamatix »

Hello Henrik and welcome in.

Can you just clarify something?

When you pull the handle down, can you feel strong resistance, as though you were winding up a mechanism, or it the resistance weak as though you were just pulling against a return spring? Could you pull the handle down with one finger only?

If I was asked to take a guess at what has happened, I would say that our old friend "The Lost Penny" is wedged in the mechanism somewhere.

Also

Do you know a friendly motor mechanic, the type who would be used to working on 1960's cars? Such a person should be able to see what is wrong with the mechanism, which is fairly simple to understand by observation.

Some photos would be good and if I can give any advice, then I will.

Save Dreamland!
Henrik

Bonanza Star

Post by Henrik »

Hello Again

Found the problem myself, but also new problems. I guess that is what always happens solve a problem and a new one arrives : :(

The arm simply wouldn't go any further. It was a problem with the coin system: the mechanism that feels the coin was damaged but has now been fixed!

Then another problem came but was solved, and then yet another! :shock:

Now it nearly works but there are still problems: the arm goes down as it should, and the clock and the gear box that decides when the wheels stop also works. BUT THE WHEELS DON'T GO ROUND!! :???:

Any ideas??
Henrik

Post by Guest »

Henrik wrote:Now it nearly works but there are still problems: the arm goes down as it should, and the clock and the gear box that decides when the wheels stop also works. BUT THE WHEELS DON'T GO ROUND!! :???:

Any ideas??
Henrik
Hello,

I am Chris and I live in Hampshire, England. My slot machine is a Sega Progressive Star. It has the same mechanism. If the reels do not go round, check the "kick off" arm. This is difficult to see but it engages on the 3 discs that have the payout holes in them.

You may have a broken spring or something is stuck.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Hi All,

Can you post a photo of your Sega machine for the site?

Regards - C!

Post by Guest »

Here's mine,

sega.jpg
sega.jpg (13.56 KiB) Viewed 5215 times

This would originally have operated on 1d coins but was converted to 2p play in 1971 upon decimalisation.