General vintage slot machine related topics.
daveslot

Philip Shefras? allwins

Postby daveslot » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:53 pm

These are not made by Olly Whales - I don't know who made them, but there are a few variations. I will attach a pic of an O.W. Fruit Polo.
Pic232.JPG
3olly.JPG
I put the wrong picture on, then tried to edit it, then got both! Still it gives you an idea of what Olly Whales should look like.

arrgee

Re Philip Shefras? allwins

Postby arrgee » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm

Thanks for the info Daveslot, few nice machines there. The cases look quite similar to mine but I can see that the metalwork is different. I have attached a couple of pics showing the inside of my machine and wondered whether O.W. could have produced the mechanism for another allwin producer of these machines, how does it compare with your machines mechanism?.

I was given to understand that O.W. machines had a clear plastic cover over a part of the mechanism, which is present in mine.

Arrgee
Polo%20Fruits%203.jpg
Polo%20Fruits%204.jpg

JC

Postby JC » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:29 pm

Actually, I think two of Daveslot's machines are Whales (as well as the Fruit Polo). In the picture of three, the one on the left - Win a Crunch, and the one on the right - can't see what it's called due to flash, both appear to be Whales. The trademark of Whales backflashes are the large, fat arrows above the hammer box, which is shown on both of these machines.

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:20 pm

Yours are definitely not OW - I have seen a few from your manufacturer but they have all been in plywood cases. I suspect yours has been put in an oak cabinet to make it look more attractive - there were a lot of oak Parkers' cases around a few years ago that would fit this machine. I have added a couple of pics from the same manufacturer. Does anyone know who made these?
aero.JPG
Pic008.JPG

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:52 pm

That's interesting Dave. Although they don't have the characteristic lower casting or Bryans-style hinges of the Jackpot, Safari, Double Your Money, Plentywin and Storm, the coin slot, ply and odd bow-topped playfield frames clearly point to the same stable. On Arrgee's game only the coin slot and prize-payout casting look un-Olly Whales, but your pictures bridge the gap, making a connection between all eight of these allwins.

Now this mystery manufacturer is emerging as a significant player, it's all the more frustrating we know nothing about them.

A few weeks ago a Jackpot on eBay was attributed to Robinson & Co. Someone emailed the vendor to say this was probably the distributor and the maker was Kraft. I'm sure this is incorrect, as so-called Kraft allwins (Extrawin, Crackerjack etc.) are quite distinctive in their own way. Besides, I think they were made by Amusement Machine Mart (Shefras). I've yet to see evidence that Kraft made any allwins although they distributed them. But that's another story.
Last edited by pennymachines on Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:43 pm

I will throw in a couple more then. The gum one looks like it was recased at some time.
11.jpg
Pic345.JPG

arrgee

Postby arrgee » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:54 am

Interesting thread here. Dave, your Win a Gum looks exactly like my Fruit Polo, all the metalwork and the case, with the exception of the penny entry slot which is the same as an O.W. penny entry casting, although it is not set at an angle as mine is.

How are the pennies collected in Win a Gum In my machine there is no thin metal collection chute below the coin guide as in many allwins, but the penny guide is quite long (see earlier attached photo) and discharges just above the wooden inner shelf with the pennies falling straight through a hole cut in the shelf.

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:46 pm

The mech was the same as yours. They seem to be better made than the OW. The whole mech is well engineered, particularly the payout, suggesting they made quite a few, or intended to.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:15 pm

Ditto the coin payout ones. Better engineered and like Arrgee's sweety mech they have a simpler, more robust ball release system than the O.W. ratchet and palletwheel design which was based on the rather antiquated Walther Rudolf patent of 1914.

JC

Postby JC » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:41 pm

The Storm is an interesting addition to this range of machines, I note a number of differences. In particular, the absence of a payout knob indicates some form of automatic payout - solenoid perhaps?
There are a number of differences in the case design too. It appears to be shorter, with a much smaller cashbox door. I'm not even sure it is a cashbox, as there doesn't appear to be a lock? And no Bryan's hinges!

I know the Double Your Win Pennymachines refers to. I presume these were 'knocked-out' later in the sixties. Knocked-out being the operative word, they were quite cheaply made, with nasty box-wood cases. As Pennymachines stated earlier, one assumes manufacturers were finding it increasingly uneconomic to produce allwins during the sixties. I guess they would have had difficulty competing with Bryans whose machines, although more expensive, were firmly established as the Showmans' favourite.

Jerry :D