General vintage slot machine related topics.
treefrog

Re: Mystery 50s allwin manufacturer

Postby treefrog » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Picked up a couple of these myself recently and as per the comments earlier the Jackpot version is very generous for the player.....
krafts.JPG

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:21 pm

The Double Your Money has had its original glass top sign replaced with one from a Safari...
Nevertheless, they look like two very smart specimens.

Both must be fairly generous - the Double Your Win (like the Flash Win) has a gallery identical to the Bryans Elevenses (on its most generous setting), whereas, on the Jackpot, all but the 12-coin centre target, pay two.

bandito

Postby bandito » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:52 pm

Nice to see all you allwin collectors scratching your heads on this one....... !PUZZLED!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:08 pm

I've been doing some more head scratching since Rob introduced us to the Cyclone !PUZZLED!
Although it's from the same stable, it's a flasher - not an allwin, so instead of merging the threads, I'll just put a picture of it here.
Cyclone.jpg
I stuck my neck out at the start of this thread with a theory that these games were made by Parkers. As nobody chopped it off (my head, I mean), I've grown bolder, and will now insist they can't possibly be from that company!

First, where did the idea come from? Well, long, long ago at an auction far, far away... a stout fellow with voluminous grey beard, much wiser and older than myself, whispered the name in my ear. John Morley was the gentleman, if memory serves... However, I've found nothing to substantiate (and several things to undermine) the claim.

Jimmy Parker donated some nice interior pictures to the Arena of Parkers Black Cat amusement arcade in the 1960s. These show a Saxony Allwin Deluxe, five recognized Parker allwins in Oliver Whales style cases and several in their distinctive inlaid veneer cabinets. No sign of our mystery machines. Given that they're evidently from the same period (no later than the '60s), it's implausible that the Parkers were making this quite distinct range of allwins alongside their other two styles, with no crossover. They produced their games in both cabinet styles, as can be seen in this thread: Parkers of Rhyl. But none of our mystery allwins turn up in the recognized Parker cases.

What's more, Parkers backflash artwork is quite distinctive and indisputably superior. I think we stuck with them as a candidate because they were one of the few who didn't badge their allwins.

What convinced me though, was looking more closely at the payout handles on these and other allwins. More specifically, the direction the handle is turned for a payout is determined by the design of the mechanism. It would appear that allwin manufacturers in the 50s and 60s were quite conservative:

R & W sweety allwins
Oliver Whales
Parkers
Turn handle anticlockwise

R & W multi-balls
Bryans
Shefras
Mystery allwins
Turn handle clockwise

So, we're not quite back to square one. OK, still no clue as to the maker, but I trust you'll agree, it wasn't Parkers.

bandito

Postby bandito » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Interesting point Mr Pennymachines. My personal knowledge of allwins is not very much :!?!:
Are any of these machines mentioned in any advertising flyers or booklets from the 1960s? Must be something surely?? !!HIDING!!

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:41 pm

Have to say though I've never been a fan of this design. Have passed on a few over years, and the reason being they always remind me of bloody Pachinko machines!!

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:52 pm

pennymachines wrote:.............. it's a flasher - not an allwin, so instead of merging the threads, I'll just put a picture of it here.
Nursey has commented in the past that you can be a snob, and I defended you ....... no more!

When I was running that pub in Leicestershire, somebody I can't remember, or even when, once offered me a "Made by somebody's uncle" machine for a fortune. It had the same sort of metal frontage and a decent case. The story was the uncle had worked for a machine operator/maker and his job included recycling bits & bobs of machines taken in part chop.
As his work was piecemeal, he tended to do foreigners. That is to say, using bits and bobs he acquired from his employer, he knocked up at home the odd machine of his own with a mate to help.

Of course, I don't believe a word of it, as the very suggestion that a professional in the showmen's world would get up to any skulduggery is horrendous. Even though the vendor is a brother of someone we all know and used to be famous for a type of penny he used to sell through Deal Directory. !PUZZLED!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Gameswat wrote:Have to say though I've never been a fan of this design. Have passed on a few over years, and the reason being they always remind me of bloody Pachinko machines!!
They're not very elegant, even by '50s allwin standards, but have excellent mechanisms and the Jackpot must have been popular with players.
badpenny wrote:Even though the vendor is a brother of someone we all know and used to be famous for a type of penny he used to sell through Deal Directory. !PUZZLED!
You're getting too cryptic for me BP :???:

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:07 pm

I do apologise I suspect I might have had a stale packet of crisps last night between my 15th & 16th pint of Guinness.

Ok, a clue worthy of The Times Crossword Compiler coming up.

3 Across
Clive Baker who sold de-crapinated pennies through Deal Directory ...... has a brother who lived a few doors up the road from The Fox Inn ..... he once showed me a picture of an allwin he could acquire for cash if I was interested. I didn't recognise it but think it was similar to our mystery ones.

2 Down

I expressed my doubts as to its pedigree and the explanation I was offered was .......
It was "Made by somebody's uncle" . ........... The story was the uncle had worked for a machine operator/maker and his job included recycling bits & bobs of machines taken in part chop to make new ones to sell.
As his work was piecemeal, he tended to do foreigners. That is to say, using bits and bobs he acquired from his employer, he knocked up at home the odd machine of his own with a mate to help, then sold them on to the industry privately without his employer knowing.

Last Week's Solution

Because I am quoting people whose story it really is and my memory isn't the best. I was trying to be subtle, also my memory isn't the best. So I might have got it wrong anyway. I just thought it was a possible explanation for a small run of decent wall machines that have a similarity yet no obvious antecedents. However as I have a bad memory I could be wrong who it was, they were strange times at The Fox. That's where I bought half an airliner and kept it in the car park. Long story that one and probably more interesting than this.

Now try the Wordsearch Puzzle.

SOUNDSBOLLOCKSTOME
WHATISHEONABOUT????
HEHASGOTTHATWRONG
CANTSEETHATHAPPENING

counterfeitpenny

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Of all these, the machines that I am least impressed by, in terms of quality, is Bryans, and I don't mean the mechanicals, but the quality of the build of the cases... I am sure this will ruffle a few feathers out there, but these were really cheaply made.... !!ESCAPE!!