General vintage slot machine related topics.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Mystery 50s allwin manufacturer

Postby pennymachines » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:57 pm

I've copied and merged into this thread Scottie's recent inquiry about the maker of two allwins because, as Gameswat has pointed out, the Allwin Supreme has the Philip Shefras badge on it, and Arrgee has spotted an unmistakable connection between this and our mystery allwins via another game called simply Allwin (above).

By Jove! I think, at last, you may have cracked it gentlemen. Good work!

Those two machines appear to bridge the gap. The Allwin Supreme provides the maker's name and although, at first, it doesn't look much like the other mystery machines, it has six visible distinctive features in common with the Allwin: the unusual shaped gallery back plate, the diagonal-slot coin entry plate, the long hinges, the diamond shaped coin cup surround, the payout knob and collar, and you turn the handle clockwise for a win.

The Allwin, with its arched door frame, is more obviously from the mystery stable and has most of the typical, features.

I would imagine these are both early examples of the type, the Supreme being the earlier.

Another notable thing about these machines is that the cases tend to be of beech or some other softwood or, in later examples, plywood. The Supreme doesn't look like oak.

As such, Morris Shefras allwins were the nearest match. They're unusual in the use of softwood cases (and later, ply) and they have the clockwise payout. It didn't make sense, though, that Morris would be making two similar but distinct sets of allwins, one with his name on, the other without. But it does make sense that the two Shefras brothers with their separate companies produced a set each.

Of course, it's possible that Philip just distributed the Supreme, but until someone can persuade me otherwise, I'm referring to our mystery machines as Philip Shefras allwins.

arrgee

Postby arrgee » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Here are some pics of the mechanisms from three of these mystery manufacturers, the first is from 'The Allwin' the second is Win a Polo and the third is Win a Gum. note the internal ball runways are the same and all covered in clear plastic sheet, as per Oli Whales, but more importantly each runway has been routed out as one space and then separated by a thin strip of metal (all of the mechs from O W's I have seen have their runways routed out individually and separated by a piece of the wood backboard), another small piece of the linking jigsaw.
002 allwin mech.JPG
Polo Fruits.jpg
Win a gum.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:31 pm

Here's another Allwin Supreme, from VCA auction 2009, which also carries the Philip Shefras badge.
Although the cashdoor is oak (replaced?), the case is not.
allwin-supreme.jpg

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:49 pm

OK, the inside of the electric version is already on this thread, below is a Jackpot version. Cannot see a single common part to the machines above. They are more like industrial versions of Bryans, even some plastic in there....The jackpot version has a standard 2 coin slide and massive 10 coin slide for the jackpot.
mystery.JPG

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Agreed, not much matches inside, but I put this down to the ad-hoc, piecemeal way the various models were produced, starting just after the war, and continuing into the '60s. There's great variation in the exteriors too, but just enough key features, in my opinion, to discern a common source from Allwin Supreme to Jackpot. Games like the Jackpot, Plentywin, Safari and Flash Win, with the large lower casting, appear to be the last models produced, by which time there was standardisation. Double Your Money was made both with, and without, the bottom casting.

Look at the ball release lever, from the mechanisms pictured in this thread. It's connected to the ball release paddle via a bent wire which is threaded through a lockable aperture. This allows the stroke of the lever relative to the paddle to be adjusted. I don't think I've seen this anywhere else (Morris Shefras products included). Challenge - can you find it on another known make of allwin?
lever-cu.jpg
4balllevers.jpg
A couple more Allwin Supremes:
allwin-supreme3.jpg
allwin-supreme2.jpg
Compare with these "unknown manufacturer's" Win A Cigs:
hommedia.jpg
From London Science Museum
winacig1.jpg
Raj's Oak cased Win A Cig
winacig2.jpg
winacig2.jpg (8.55 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
winacig3.jpg
Snap?
When the one above appeared on the forum, last year, I commented:
The bowed upper door frame and flat plate coin slot reminds me of the as yet unidentified allwins... particularly the Win A Kit Kat, Win Aero, Win Trebor Gum and Win A Penguin. The Win A Penguin even has the same unusual tall hinges.
For good measure - the Philip Shefras Win-a-Cigar Barrels and badge.
75.jpg
PhilipShefrasWin-a-Cig003.jpg
PhilipShefrasWin-a-Cig003.jpg (24.61 KiB) Viewed 3247 times

john t peterson

Flash Win

Postby john t peterson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Topic moved & merged - site admin.

Here are pictures of my "Flash Win," Arrgee. As you can see from the pictures, the mechanism is partially disassembled. This is typical of many of the machines that I purchased in the Glenn Collection. They were originally brought into the US in the '70s, most through California, and steps were taken at the time to render the games "amusement only." Depending upon the workman completing the task, more of less of the mechanism was removed and almost always discarded.

The game has an adjustable payout with the various numbers printed on the long wood rectangle that sits behind the cutout at the top of the ball gallery, much like some of the Bryans machines. The backflash on this machine is hand-painted with a spaceship (pictured) featuring a hand-lettered "lost." If you like eclectic electric allwins, this is game is for you!
IMG_2303.jpg
IMG_2302.jpg
IMG_2301.jpg
IMG_2300.jpg

arrgee

Postby arrgee » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:29 am

Thank you John for taking the photographs. I was rather hoping for a mechanical Allwin to compare with photos I have, however, these are still very interesting in their own right.

What strikes me about all these 'Mystery Allwins' is the beautifully engineered components that you would not normally see on a 50s/60s allwin. Look at the photo of the release mech of a sweetie allwin I had, with its toothed slide meshing to an engineered toothed cog which rotates a horizontal tube to drop the tube of sweets. I have not seen this level of engineering on a sweetie allwin. They usually work on a horizontal slide plate with small vertical upstand to push/pull the sweet over the payout chute. All of the other components are also very well engineered and very well finished.

I also see that some of the castings on your machine have been painted/coated black the same as the photo posted by treefrog - so again factory attention to detail is present. When I saw treefrogs photo, I assumed that the black was an operator addition, but your mech seems to confirm that it was applied at manufacture.

All very intriguing and fascinating.
MM mech.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri May 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Two more for the record... both from eBay.
Another Allwin Supreme:
allwinSupreme.JPG
allwinSupreme-mech.jpg
and another Plentywin without topflash:
Plentywin.JPG
Plentywin-mech.JPG

scottie

what is the name of this one?

Postby scottie » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hi everyone,
I have seen this one before but I can't remember what it's called or who made it.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
scottie.
$T2eC16ZHJIcFHN++Cu9VBSfV,5gZOg~~60_35.jpg
$T2eC16ZHJIcFHN++Cu9VBSfV,5gZOg~~60_35.jpg (17.06 KiB) Viewed 2823 times

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Philip Shefras? allwins

Postby pennymachines » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:18 pm

I've moved and merged your post Scottie, because it's a Philip Shefras Double Your Money, as shown on Page 3 of this thread.