CAPITAL LETTERS kerfuffle

General vintage slot machine related topics.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: the governor

Post by badpenny »

We appear to have consensus opinion from our international membership so: -
The issue is now closed, however to lock the thread would be unfair to the newcomer who asked a question.

Let's now concentrate on the topics in question.

Badpenny
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: CAPITAL LETTERS kerfuffle

Post by pennymachines »

OK - I've copied and relabelled this thread and pruned the original one because of the diversion which spilled over from this thread.

I'm going to buck the trend here by disagreeing with my esteemed moderator and other respected members and friends who object to Roger's contributions. He instigated a worthwhile discussion about a rare British game and was good enough to email me artwork from it. I believe he has a genuine interest and involvement in vintage slots which probably pre-dates my own and I've enjoyed his posts. If I'd sent him a clear message about capitals, instead of making pointed remarks, I think the "cultural misunderstanding" (as Roger put it) could have been avoided. I fully accept his suggestion that, as a member of "the younger generation", I'm "much too sensitive in this matter". Nevertheless, I'd much rather read comments in capitals or textspeak than watch tumbleweed drifting across the screen.

Let's face it, most of us are reaching that difficult 'Grumpy Old Man' age, so if we want this community to thrive, we really need to cut each other some slack and welcome the fact that we don't always see eye to eye.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I for one have never ignored the fact that we are all different it's what makes the world go round.
I also have never doubted roger's interest and support in the hobby or this site.

There will always be protocols and habits which don't make sense. I for example can not for the life of me understand why we have traffic lights half way round a roundabout!!! One or the other but not both for heaven's sake. However I don't go on about it endlessly.
Once it was pointed out to me that was the way, then so be it.

I do think that a challenge was in order when a newcomer was rudely responded to following his opening post. I would have thought it hilarious if roger had welcomed him, offered him some advice and then closed with "........ oh and by the way, you might want to avoid blah blah...."
That would have been poetic justice for us all.
Merely wading in like that was for me the time to call it a day.

Seems Mr P we're going to have to disagree on this one, shame, but hardly the end of the world, after all it's the fact that we are all different that makes the world go round.

Jeremy
roger

Re: CAPITAL LETTERS kerfuffle....capital letters

Post by roger »

thanks mr. P for your perceptive posting on capital letters.........i had no idea of the worldwide controversy about this subject.....I learned to type in the army in WW 2 and everything was done in caps........apparently, this is insulting to some people in today's world of internet communications ( i still use stamps)......on reflection, i regret my comments on the new member's post....they should have been added to the "pig in the poke" post which simply pointed out that i am not alone in my lack of knowledge of todays internet protocol.....roger
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Great. As I said, the Caps Lock was not a biggie, but seems to have opened up other little issues which I hope we can all agree to leave alone now.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Reading back through previous threads, I'd love to see Roger's image of the background of the motorcycle racing game .....is it anywhere on the forum? I'd love to get my hands on one of those!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

If Roger is happy for me to do so, I'll post the image in Resources.
roger

Post by roger »

Post away....... Roger.
P.S. never heard the word kerfuffle before...
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

I think it's a brown ale brewed somewhere in Coventry but I could be wrong. Love to see the picture, many thanks.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Here it is. Quite simplistic, but it matches the remnants of artwork on the games I restored.
Thanks to BBC comedy, Little Britain, the wonderful 'kerfuffle' word is enjoying a renaissance.
Attachments
Capital KERFUFFLE
Capital KERFUFFLE
jailtime10

Post by jailtime10 »

!NYAH! !NYAH! A special greeting to those members who sent poor ROGER off to Siberia... !NYAH!