Payramid internal tidy up

General vintage slot machine related topics.
alan57

Payramid internal tidy up

Post by alan57 »

Can anyone recommend a cleaning agent to get rid of the years of old oil and dirt from the inside of my 1934 payramid. I don't want to dismantle it just in case I can't get it to work again, I was looking to maybe use a small paint brush dipped in cleaning solution. Also is there a type of oil to use when the parts have been cleaned.
treefrog

Re: Payramid internal tidy up

Post by treefrog »

I have always used white spirit on mechanisms, which is cheap and breaks down the oil. I assume the parts are painted powder blue on the '30s machine. If so, you would want to wipe clean and not leave, as it will lift the paint.....

Can't advise on lubrication, but I would have thought some of the parts should be greased rather than light oil on these, but I am sure advice will come.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Fast evaporating solvent is the best (see other posts on the subject). A toothbrush works a treat - an old electric toothbrush gets into all the tight corners, if you're not dismantling.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The '30s Payramid mechanisms were painted black. Bryans recommended "a thin non-clogging, good lubricating oil". Any decent, mineral-based machine oil, such as sewing machine lubricant, should do. Some of the sprung driven mechanisms, like the Clock, require a few touches of grease, but not the Payramid.

The Operator adjustments sheet says, "Lubricate, regularly, all moving parts, pivots etc. The Ball-Slides and the Coin-Slides should not be allowed to rust."
The slides should not be oiled, just kept clean and dry.