Hi from a new member

General vintage slot machine related topics.
minidaz

Hi from a new member

Post by minidaz »

Hello, my name's Darren and after having a bit of a look through the site, thought I'd join up and say hi !!COOEE!!

While spending lots of happy times in Gt Yarmouth, I'm always drawn to Merrivale and the old penny arcade, and now so are my children. Don't know what it is, whether it's the age, look, or in some cases, simplicity of it all, they all get our attention... even if it's just wandering 'round and looking, rather than playing / watching. We've also found a place on the Isle of Wight with a penny arcade, so that usually gets a visit when we're there on holiday.

After our recent Easter trip to Gt Yarmouth, I've decided it would be nice to actually own my own - possibly getting one that's slightly run down, and doing a gentle restoration - take more of an interest in how things work etc. I've noticed one in the Market that might be worth chasing up to get me started.

Will be reading around the site some more, finding out bits and pieces, and hoping eventually to get a penny machine myself ... and have fun on the way. Although, would I be right in saying that once you get one, you want another and another? :lol:
jimmy55

Re: Hi from a new member.

Post by jimmy55 »

A warm welcome from a Norfolk member! You must be keen to have braved Yarmouth over easter weekend, so thats the initiation test well and truly passed. The big question is did you brave a ride on the 'Snails'?
I also got hooked on my childhood trips to Yarmouth and it seems to get into your blood !THUMBS!
Attachments
IMGP2867.jpg
minidaz

Post by minidaz »

If that's the Snails on the pleasure beach, i didn't, but my 2 boys did :D
And there was only a little bit of snow ... good excuse to get under cover and put a few more old pennies in some slots :D
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi Darren and welcome, what would you prefer as your first machine a bandit or something less heavy?

Have you read Top Tips

BP
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

minidaz wrote:Although, would I be right in saying that once you get one, you want another and another? :lol:
Yep I think you got that one right, and once the wife and kids move out you will have lots of room for more machines..lol. :oops:
welcome to the forum, :D so what kind of machines do you like? do you have a dream machine in mind?
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

Run Darren! Save yourself!

I have had a Bally for donkey's years and was happy to see that standing in the corner, getting plugged in and played every so often. Then, last August I bought an old 7-cup Allwin. Then an Aristocrat Sheerline, then.....

So far, I have acquired 10 bandits dating from the late 60's back to the late 20's, a Bradley Super Challenger and four Allwins (including a lovely Clown Catcher). And I feel I have only just started.....

Strange thing is, the wife seems quite happy with it. Perhaps because she knows we will have to buy a bigger house when I run out of room.....

As hobbies go, this one is completely addictive, but you do meet the best of people and get to see, hear and operate some fantastic machines from an age that will not be seen again. Good luck and welcome to Heaven!
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

What part of the country do you live in Daz?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Welcome to best forum for slots on the web... without exception! It's not so much that you WANT to get another, as much as you HAVE to get another. Slots should have a gov health warning on the side because they are addictive. :burp:

It's even worse if you start taking them apart. First it's the kitchen table with all the domestic problems that brings on, then it's "I need a bigger shed", then a conservatory to put the finished collection in, and all the time the the trade union style negotiations are going on about what you have to offer to get what you want, (a tip here, a good holiday abroad is the usual starting point for a bigger shed, plus the time you will spend in it). !SMARTY!
minidaz

Post by minidaz »

I'm in Cambridgeshire - between Huntingdon and Peterborough on the A1.

Don't have a dream machine - probably too new for that - but I dare say, if I get in to it, that something will jump to the top of my wanted list (bit like classic Minis. Started with one, then had quite a few more over the years - then had a year out, and now getting one that I've wanted for ages :D ).

I quite like the bandits - again, thanks to Merrivale and me and my boys playing on the Jubilee Rivieras - but also enjoy the (newbie moment, not sure of the exact names) pin ball / catcher style - flick the ball up and in to a slot to win type.
Will be taking my time, seeing what's out there, as well as what appears on the Market and Auction, and then going from there.

And thanks for the 'top tips' link - handy information to have.
coppinpr wrote:First it's the kitchen table with all the domestic problems that brings on, then it's, "I need a bigger shed", then a conservatory to put the finished collection in.
Well, we are hoping to move to a bigger house later in the year. :D
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

but also enjoy the (newbie moment, not sure of the exact names) pin ball / catcher style - flick the ball up and in to a slot to win type.
These have the unlikely name of "Allwins" which is not to be confused with "Always wins" which they certainly are not :dammit:
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Some say Allwin enthusiasts recognise each other by their calloused right thumb. Something akin to a Masonic handshake.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Welcome Darren,,,,,,,,,,,,, to the World of The Doomed mate.
It's a global epidemic and reached even these far-flung shores of Awestraylia (about a week after I did :shock: )
However, you've stumbled upon the best place to seek others' opinions - especially when looking to hand over your hard-earned.
Again, welcome.
andydotp
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Hi minidaz and welcome to the foremost website on earth, covering slots of all kinds from all ages, you will find invaluable information here (if not just ask, there are members out there eagerly waiting by their keyboards, fingers poised).

Why not register for the monthly Mechanical Memories Magazine, (just click the Archive link on the left and then click the drawer titled Magazine) it is produced by one of our very knowledgeable members JC and contains informative and useful information - no slottie should be without it !!THUMBSX2!!

Located near Huntingdon eh, bought my first allwin from Huntingdon quite a few years ago and not looked back since, good hunting for what will become more than just a 'hobby'
minidaz

Post by minidaz »

Recently found the forum to be very helpful. Been having a look through ebay ( and elsewhere ) as you do, and a few things caught my eye.
But before bidding, or even asking the seller a question, it was on to this forum - quick search - and see what I can find. There's already been a couple of things that, due to the what i've read on the forum, i've either decided against or asked a question relating to a certain issue or topic.

I guess it goes to show that places like this, with people ranging from newbies to experts, are a very handy and helpful resource.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Very true Daz ....I've learned a lot on this site, even a few things about penny machines :o
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I still haven't learned enough to explain 3 marriages plus a failed long term ......... :!?!:
coppinpr

Re: Hi from a new member

Post by coppinpr »

Welcome from the Ukraine to the best slot forum bar none, no I don't live in Ukraine I'm just here today :o yesterday it was Georgia :o but not a slot machine in sight so I thought I'd log in and get a fix of pennymachines
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Hi from a new member

Post by badpenny »

You're too late coppinpr. Seems they blew the bugger up 4 years ago: Ten dead, ten injured in fire at Ukrainian slot machine arcade.