Henry Powell Sr.

General vintage slot machine related topics.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Henry Powell Sr.

Post by coin-op »

Sadly, I have to announce that Henry Powell Sr. passed away earlier today. I am sure that many 'old timers' will have fond memories of Henry through amiable conversation at auctions and in some cases from having bought some 'treasure' from him over the years. Henry came from a pure pedigree showman's lineage and was extremely proud of his roots and never happier than when meeting up with old friends or reminiscing about 'the old days'. Over the years, Henry established a high profile within the realms of both operators and collectors, and many arcades and collections featured a Powells Automatics 'noughts and crosses' Riviera. Due to a fairly severe stroke over a decade ago, Henry was forced to retire from his business and, but for that event, he would have been working with enthusiasm right up until today, as he loved his machines. I am sure that many who knew him will join me in raising a glass to salute the passing of an old school operator !!CHEERS!!
slotalot

Re: Henry Powell Sr.

Post by slotalot »

Sad news indeed, rest in peace Henry !!CHEERS!!
JC

Post by JC »

Yes, sad news. Not quite an icon in vintage coin-op realms, but almost. I first met Henry at Copthorne ('96 or '97 I think) - he was promoting one of Nigel's early Nostalgic Machines allwins. I would always have a chat when I saw him at the ATEI show at Earls Court each year - anyone remember his immaculately presented stand at the show back in those days?
My condolences to Henry Jr., Terry and the rest of the Powell family.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'm sorry to hear that. I also first met Henry at a jukebox show - Jukebox Madness, when it was still held at the Hounslow Leisure Centre. Must have been in the '80s. I exchanged a Mills Hi-Top for a Bryans Bullion, which worked out in my favour, as Bryans machines became increasingly hot collector favourites. I just got lucky, because Henry was a shrewder business man than I'll ever be. I still have the machine. Subsequently, I often met and chatted with him at the various shows.

My condolences to his family.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

JC wrote:anyone remember his immaculately presented stand at the show back in those days?
Just for you Jerry.
Attachments
img203.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Who can name them all?
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Firstly,
a quick thank-you to the opening poster for giving visibility to this sad news.

Only met with Henry Snr. a couple of times. He was kind enough to meet me halfway once, at the M62 services, to deliver a machine to me and gave me some great advice too. Obviously through Henry Snr, I have met with and dealt with his sons since then.

My condolences to the Powell family.

Neil