RW Bandit

General vintage slot machine related topics.
youngerap

RW Bandit

Post by youngerap »

I noticed a RW (would this be Ruffler and Walker?) one-arm bandit in the Fieldings Auction due to be held on 6th July.

http://fieldingsauctions.co.uk/lot/92536

I have never seen one of these machines before, so asked for a condition report. I was advised that it does not operate, as it has no arm (a no-arm bandit - how rare is that?) and it also has no key.

Just in case anyone is interested.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: RW Bandit

Post by badpenny »

This is another of those Günter Wulff conversions.
Some people describe them as Beromat conversions which isn't accurate.
The Beromat is only one model of the many three reelers that arrived here in the 50s/60s from Germany.

The mechanisms were removed from the staid looking wooden cases and grafted into more "hip & groovy" formica ones.
We already have a thread on this forum Click Here

In case someone doesn't know. The reason we had such an invasion of these machines to our shores was that after the war German manufactured gaming machines were only licensed for three years after which they had to be either destroyed or exported thus keeping the manufacturers in business.

This particular version by Ruffler & Walker although far from being the most robust is in my mind one of the best. The bowed plastic front is translucent with fluorescent lights behind. The effect is a typically 60s ghostly glow.
I've seen them in blue, yellow, green and probably red, and can remember a line of them on the pier at Paignton looking impressive.

BP