Spot the Deliberate Mistake?

General vintage slot machine related topics.
youngerap

Spot the Deliberate Mistake?

Post by youngerap »

A little while back I met an interesting chap called Tim Barker. Tim is a fairground artist and is well known for his work in that community. Although he currently uses computer graphics for creating signs, Tim was trained as a sign painter and, indeed, was responsible for much of the restoration work carried out on the Wookey Hole fairground exhibition (sadly, now auctioned off). Over the weeks I have enjoyed a number of interesting conversations with Tim about his work and the sites at which he has worked and played. I decided I would like to have Tim make a sign for me.

So, I provided him with the required measurements and asked him to create and print a 'Pier Amusements' sign that I could mount above three of my Allwins. I picked the sign up on Sunday and was thrilled to see it - until I presented it to the wall and this is where I ask, "can you spot the deliberate mistake?". !PUZZLED! (Apologies for the photo quality, but these machines are mounted in the hall and a front elevation shot would only be possible if I removed the stairs.)
Pier-Amusement-Sign.jpg

Five inches too long! :shock: Someone once said to me 'measure twice, cut once'. I guess the same could be said when measuring for a new sign! You have to laugh.

Now to find somewhere to store it until I can think of somewhere suitable to display it (my current thinking is to source more allwins and mount them on a longer wall... !!THUMBSX2!! ).
slotalot

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistake?

Post by slotalot »

I see the problem,
Your machines are all pre-decimal and the sign clearly isn't. !PUZZLED!
You could always brick up the doorway, :didact: that way the sign will fit and you will have room for even more machines !!THUMBSX2!!
Job Sorted!!! !!CHEERS!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Youngerap .....

The Executive Board have met and considered your submission.

Although it is felt that the process you have submitted is protracted it is certainly original and likely to succeed.

Therefore your ruse to seek agreement from SWMBO to allow you to obtain more Allwins is approved and has The Board's backing.

You are awarded recognition accordingly
10 out of 10 for your initiative

!!THUMBSX2!!
BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I suggest cutting a slot through the far wall and sliding the sign half way through, that way you can have allwins in two rooms instead of one with room for a possible four more saving money on a second sign, simples
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

Thank you for your suggestion, Paul. As practical as it sounds, I will give this solution a miss for the time being, as there would be the risk of the sign then partially obstructing the doorway between the lounge and the kitchen. Anything that might give cause for my wife to have any excuse to stay out of the kitchen is to be avoided at all costs!

Actually, I already have two of these signs. I had both created at the same time in order to minimise the amount of waste material from the printing process (save the planet, etc.). So I have two such signs that I can currently do nothing with. Five blimming inches..... :dammit:
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Fold a slight crease in the middle or roll a slight radius for a pleasing 3D effect? A lampholder behind would make a fantastic uplighter! !!IDEA!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Fold a slight crease in the middle
Putting a tuck in the middle is not a good idea and should be condemned out of hand. It would result in a sign that said "Pier Ase ments"| which could lead to confusion :tut
Actually, I already have two of these signs. I had both created at the same time in order to minimise the amount of waste material from the printing process (save the planet, etc.). So I have two such signs that I can currently do nothing with.
I bet when you first tried the sign you said "I AM a silly boy" ... or similar :#:
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Oh come on youngerap...
You're computer-literate so go into your howtoeditpics app, highlight the sign, re-size it, press enter - problem solved!
:D
olderap !!ESCAPE!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Why cut corners like that?
Do the job properly, load the wall into Photoshop and extend the wall proportionally.

evenolderap-yet-boyish good looks
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

evenolderap-yet-boyish good looks
1940s Hollywood would have called you an "ageing juvenile".
highfield

Post by highfield »

You could put them in the Coventry auction. I'm sure Jerry would have some fun selling them for you.

Then you can order a new one and get the size right !

John
!PUZZLED!
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

Thanks for the suggestion, John.

Maybe I should consider putting one of them in the auction with a description of "Doh!"?