Dreamland, Margate

General vintage slot machine related topics.
jimmy55

Re: The grade II listed Scenic Railway rollercoaster .......

Post by jimmy55 »

Since this thread was posted I have read a lot about it over the Xmas hols and found it really fascinating. I really hope that Thanet can see these plans through to fruition as it seems such a great scheme with some amazing rides sitting ready to be installed. Carters Steam Fair seems well involved and Wayne Hemingway has had a huge input in the design. Good luck to East Kent, it will be a great boost if it all comes off. !!YIPPEE!!
jonathans257

A sad day - Dreamland fire

Post by jonathans257 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Dreamland4a.jpg

After reading BP's update posted in December re Margate's coaster which was reportedly the oldest remaining in Europe and 2nd oldest in the world, I thought I would share some photos I took after leaving work in Medway and driving home to Westbrook following a trail of smoke high up in the distance that, as I followed it, became increasingly apparent was coming from somewhere very near to the end of my journey and, as I passed Westbrook, and made my way into Margate, excitement turned to near tears as I discovered the scene at the source.
Attachments
Dreamland3a.jpg
Dreamland2a.jpg
Dreamland1a.jpg
jimmy55

Re: a sad day

Post by jimmy55 »

Is this another fire Jonathan? A lot was lost in 2008.
jonathans257

Post by jonathans257 »

No, same fire but my god was it that long ago? Time has flown. The other big fire was the arcade on the sea front that left a huge gap in the terracing.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

After the thread in the forum last year I looked at the website and saw the exciting Wayne Hemmingway plans for a new park. I hope it all comes good and gets built.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: A sad day

Post by badpenny »

Photos like that are essential to keep if only for social history, but aren't they gut stirring.

I'm reminded of the sights at the end of Tommy of The South Parade Pier in Portsmouth blazing away merrily, and who can forget all those pinball machines they smashed and then burnt?
One event an awful accident the other deliberately done in the name of art !!RANT!!

jonathans257

Re: A sad day

Post by jonathans257 »

I've seen several plans and, yes, the plan you mention is the one everyone wants. However, the other plan in the running which is typically designed around private commercial gain, i.e. housing and retail, is just awful. I'm praying for Dreamland to once again rise from its slow last 30 year demise. With the right choice for the towns future, and the rumoured cable car system to take people from the beach into the park, and the harbour extension, this really would make it special once again......

Great video on Brighton pier. Many thanks - I haven't seen that before.
operator bell

Re: A sad day - Dreamland fire

Post by operator bell »

That's South Parade Pier, Southsea, not Brighton.

I was at college in Portsmouth at the time Tommy was made, and even have a momentary appearance in the film. I was working a summer job at Billy Manning's Funfair at Clarence Pier, where much of the movie was filmed. All those Gottlieb wood rails Russell destroyed came from one fairground arcade, where I had spent many hours repairing and maintaining them. When Russell burned South Parade Pier down, everything came to a stop as people went out to watch.

It was probably a good thing the pier burned when it did, and not when there were a thousand students crammed into the ballroom watching Led Zeppelin.
jonathans257

Post by jonathans257 »

Yes, my mistake, it clearly says South Parade Pier, but thanks - a very interesting story and an interesting period, I bet, in your working history. I am a millwright by trade, so when I heard various old rides from around the country were being restored down in Margate ready to go into the new heritage park in Dreamland, I wrote a letter and offered my skills for free as a volunteer, but didn't even get a reply. Would so love to be involved with that one.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Their loss Jonathon, still must have made you feel really appreciated, ........ bunch of Muppets!
jimmy55

Dreamland, Margate

Post by jimmy55 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I don't know if you've been following the Dreamland saga, but sad to read this story of 'Missing Rides' now access has been granted to the site after two years.

http://dreamlandmargate.wordpress.com/
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Dreamland margate

Post by badpenny »

It might help if the visual evidence (photos?) that the police have is shared.
Surely as evidence it can only be helpful if auction houses, restorers and other interested parties here and abroad can see it too?

However I have been on the receiving end of police assistance. Consequently I've learnt that now we hammer them with KPIs that condemn them for not meeting targets the police have become choosy about what they get involved in.

If recognisable details of what's missing aren't circulated at the first opportunity then in these days of scrap merchants touring every street in The UK on average three times a day and open frontiers across Europe I fear that already ironwork, brass and bronze bearings will have gone one way whilst artwork and furniture will have gone another.

BP :#:
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

I did message them on Facebook this morning and suggest some photos would be useful. It would be tragic to lose anything from the project.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I know I'm just a grumpy old pessimistic git but, if we don't know what's missing, when it went, carried off by whom or where it is now, then it is lost.

Somebody is accountable if only by opening the gates, not likely to get anything back, but at least the numpty might remember something.

BP
coppinpr

Re: Dreamland, Margate

Post by coppinpr »

Am I missing something here? The piece seems to say they know who removed the rides. Surely this means that company are the thieves. Am I reading it wrong? !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It's one of those pieces that jumps about leaving more questions than answers.

It is with disgust and disbelief therefore that The Dreamland Trust reports that MTCRC began removing The Historic Rides Collection this week without consent.
Removing property that didn't belong to them I presume, are they saying where they moved it to?

Their removal and expected disposal via scrap merchants, or onward sale, is viewed as theft and has been reported to the police.
Viewed by whom as theft, all parties, Police or just The Trust?

The police are aware of all the missing items and have visual evidence of the property being removed from the site and are carrying out further surveillance and investigations.
So where's the issue? Nick 'em!

The Dreamland Trust asks that if anyone has information regarding the whereabouts of the items, or is offered the stolen property, to immediately contact Margate Police Station in confidence.
Why? The Police know what's taken and by whom, so why don't they know what's happened to it? Have they nicked 'em? Have they asked where it ended up? If not the details needed to have been circulated once they knew ...... which I guess didn't happen otherwise we'd all have known what to immediately contact Margate Police Station in confidence about.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

BBC News today with an article about Dreamland
woody2

Post by woody2 »

badpenny wrote:The Dreamland Trust asks that if anyone has information regarding the whereabouts of the items, or is offered the stolen property, to immediately contact Margate Police Station in confidence.
Why? The Police know what's taken and by whom, so why don't they know what's happened to it? Have they nicked 'em? Have they asked where it ended up? If not the details needed to have been circulated once they knew ...... which I guess didn't happen otherwise we'd all have known what to immediately contact Margate Police Station in confidence about.
The missing ride parts where found in a scrap yard; shortly afterwards crushed.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

With the greatest respect, why open the park when it's not finished. Surely the main attraction is the Coaster? !PUZZLED!