General vintage slot machine related topics.
pedroofn19

Re: My thing with slots

Postby pedroofn19 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:02 pm

The Jenny Wren used to do trips along the canal, I remember going on her when I was a kid.
I know it still runs today. There is a floating Chinese restaurant between Camden Lock and Little Venice.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:34 pm

I know, I failed that corner spectacularly nearly 40 years ago and made an impression on it.
Prawn balls everywhere!

BP CoNgRaTs

pedroofn19

Postby pedroofn19 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:19 pm

BP you do seem to know the area pretty well, do you remember my Dad's shop?

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:03 pm

Thanks for those interesting reminiscences pedroofn19. !!THUMBSX2!!
pedroofn19 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:19 pm
...do you remember my Dad's shop?
I'm puzzled. I used to make pilgrimages to Camden Lock to ogle a vast array of old amusement machines which were mostly well beyond my pocket, and I knew that building as Jimmy Broderick's Star Warehouse. The customer entrance was on the far side of the shiplap building (which included Jimmy's office), and most of the stock was in the attached two storey concrete warehouse. I don't recall the name Bradburys.

pedroofn19

Postby pedroofn19 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:08 pm

PM, what date would that have been, please? I think my Dad had left there by 1975-6.
I will ask my Dad tomorrow if he knew Jimmy, and his warehouse.
Thanks for that info.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:38 pm

It was late '70's to '80s.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:51 pm

I've found these sticker labels for Broderick Auto on a number of Allwins I purchased in the USA over the last 15+ years. Especially in California and on almost all those that came from John Peterson and his Glenn collection. So this address is certainly at least 1970's, if not early. These small sticker labels were ubiquitous in the 1970's.
broderick autos.jpg

moonriver

Postby moonriver » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:14 am

Jimmy Broderick was a real character, if he didn't want to sell you a particular machine, and you asked the price, he'd say "Oh that's not for you, thats way up here ( and held one arm right up in the air)" to emphasise just how much out of your price range availability he thought it was!

pedroofn19

Postby pedroofn19 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:35 am

I just spoke to my Dad and he told me that he thinks he left the shop sometime in 1976, and he doenst know what happened to his old shop after he left.
I asked him about Jimmy Broderick, and he laughed and said "I remember that old bugger". According to my Dad Jimmy had a warehouse full of old slots, but it was not next to my Dads shop, it was the other side of the train tracks, where the old stables used to be, near the Roundhouse. The warehouse was full of lovely old machines, and very expensive as well.
My Dads shop was pretty small, it was only the shiplap wooden building in the photo, I guess after my Dad had moved out of the shop Jimmy moved into the shop and used it as his office, and he must of moved his warehouse the the building next door to the shop.
Great info about Jimmy, thank you for that, my Dad loved being reminded of his little shop, they were very happy days for us.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:41 pm

I was running pubs in London 81-85'ish.
I remember the buildings around there as I used to take my boat down to Camden to pose if I had a day off, which was VERY rare.

However I don't recall your Dad's shop.

BP !!CHEERS!!