Water Transfer Process

General vintage slot machine related topics.
treefrog

Water Transfer Process

Post by treefrog »

Reckon this process would be great for revitalising your machines or cabinets, probably can get a chrome finish as well or nice oak patina or '60s Formica pattern style

jimmy55

Re: Water Transfer Process

Post by jimmy55 »

Wow ....I want one! I wonder what they lacquer it with afterwards to make it durable? It would have been nice to see some product after it was dry and finished.
The kids won't get near the bathroom for days while I experiment now.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I bought a DIY kit ages ago to do some interior trim parts for my car; they came out stunning - just looked like real carbon fibre. :)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I was puzzled why after taking so much trouble to gently lay the object onto the floating transfer they suddenly agitated it.
Then I realised two things .....
1 They needed to break up the floating left overs to stop them getting in the way when the object was removed.
2 It's way past my tea and muffin time.

widget2k4 tell us where you got your Destroy It Yourself kit from and your experiences.

BP
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

The process used is as old as the hills, but it is the first time I have seen it used with structured repeatable pictures and patterns. I was taught how to use the process at school some 50 years ago, but at that time the best you could do was a random pattern. It was done by floating thin oil paint on water, and dipping the objects or laying them flat on the surface. One thing I do remember was it was very, very messy, and it took a long time to clean up afterwards.
This is a vast improvement. I wonder who will be the first to use it on a bandit restoration? :cool:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Now then, with modern photographic technology, how long before you could make a lifesize transfer from an old photey of yourself sans wrinkles?
All you'd need is your bath, and if you've never been happy with your height you could elongate it by 10%

I'm writing the patent even as we pole dance!

BP
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

BP
It was quite some time ago, I found the kit on ebay; it was just for small handles and things from my car, so the kitchen sink was ideal. It was pretty straightforward as long as you never tried to dip too quick.. Results were amazing actually. I used clear coat on top of them afterwards to protect them. I don't have any photos of them either, sorry. :(
I found the kit through a forum post, but doubt I will be able to find it again. I have looked for the kits on ebay, but they are like £95 but are so different to the one I bought, which was something like £30.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Cheers chap, guess I'll have to be satisfied with just a checker plate elbow.