Slot Machines on location

General vintage slot machine related topics.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Arcade Photographs

Post by badpenny »

moonriver wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:03 am This fortune teller is similar to the Brighton Museum Adelphi Man Co Gipsy Fortune Teller and only has one central eye in the forehead which is unusual. It doesn't work, and I haven't seen one working, wonder if the eye moves?
To be honest here, I don't really think any of them really work you know?
coppinpr

Interesting arcade photo

Post by coppinpr »

Post merged - Site Admin.

I found this photo and thought at first it must be in the UK because of the sailor in the photo, but on closer examination im not so sure..sailors do travel, at least he seems to have pulled a pretty (but expensive looking) girl. Some interesting machines in the background.
Attachments
arcade 1943.jpeg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The Bee Amusement Arcade, Blackpool, with Brenner Human Analyst, Bradshaw Green Ray and Wheel Em In sign, from the Cyril Critchlow Collection.
Attachments
Stalls.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

All the following photos are of arcades (except two) in the USA, but all show interesting machines or are of special interest, which is why I've added them.
The first is a non arcade photo. It shows the staggering collection of single flipper Gotllieb pinballs owned by Mr D.Murphy. They are arranged in chronological order and number 47 machines!

D. Murpheys gottlieb single flipper.jpg
D. Murpheys gottlieb single flipper.jpg (12.94 KiB) Viewed 6562 times

The next two are from what "claims" to be the oldest continuous penny arcade in the world. It is in Spring Lake, Rhode Island, and opened in 1929. It still has 11 one penny machines in operation and some of these have been there since 1929.
The first is a fairly modern photo of the arcade and the second is from 1942 and seems to show the same football machine.

oldest arcade 2.jpg

oldest arcade 3.jpg

These three are from Wonderland, Kansas City. Two show their bank of Bingo pin balls. I included these because of the interesting signs above the machines. The third is their "fortune teller corner".

kansas city wonderland bingos.jpg

bingos 1.jpg

wonder5.jpg

This one is the Exhibit Supply show rooms and their jolly sales team (no wonder they eventually went broke).

exibit supply sales team.jpg

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I've been improving the Jennings section of my penny-arcade.info site,https://www.penny-arcade.info/the-jennings-collection and was delving into his early days with the Mills company. It's quite well known that one of his first important jobs there was running the Mills exhibit at the St Louis World's Fair so I dug about till I found more info on this project. I'm now wondering if this might not be the largest slot arcade ever. The massive building was part designed by Thomas Edison and was listed as "The Mills Edisonia Spectatorium" and it would seem Edison was involved in the electrical side for the building was one of the few illuminated at night (very much so it would seem). The information from the time states it contained, "hundreds of slot machines" and was the only free exhibit at the fair (I bet it made more money than those that charged entry). I can't find a photo of the inside,which is both a pity and strange as the building also housed the official photographer for the fair.
Attachments
Spectatorium.jpg
cait001

Post by cait001 »

woody2 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:58 pm Wakefield 1970.jpg
What's that wide vertical machine at the center of the photograph?

Also I'm confused by the sign that says
Kit, Kat. 'dad'
JC

Post by JC »

What's that wide vertical machine at the center of the photograph?
It's a Cromptons drop-case wall machine. I recall there were four themes, all basically the same machine. That could be 'Sky Divers' but it's not really clear enough to tell.
Also I'm confused by the sign that says
Kit, Kat. 'dad'
Followed by 'Win a Kit Kat - probably refers to a 'Win a Kit Kat' allwin. Taking into account the way you've spelt 'centre', I guess you may not be from these shores - America or Canada perhaps? In which case you may not be familiar with Kit-Kat chocolate bars, although I should have thought that they were well known more or less world-wide.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

There is something about this restaurant photo that says "only in the USA" ...but I can't put my (trigger) finger on it?
A couple of Mills Extras, and what could be an original "Melon Bell"!!
Attachments
Gun and slots 2.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

In America, you never know when you might have to shoot someone. Having the rifles on the wall of your favorite restaurant saves time from having to go out to your pickup truck to retrieve your own weapon.

J Peterson
Making America Great Again, one gun at a time !SHOOT!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Especially in times of crisis.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Question for our resident ambassador in Las Vegas.
John,
When I looked up the site of that photo, I didn't expect to find the restaurant, but I did expect to find highway 40... but it's not there. :o Did the name change? Did it become I-80?
john t peterson

Sorry, Coppinpr, we're all hunkered down right now. We can't disclose our location for fear of Corona seeking us out, hence, no directional or mapological information permitted. Please ask again in 60 days, if we're still alive.

J Peterson
Survivorist, USofA (United States of Agoraphobia)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I read today that gun and ammo sales have risen John.
Are y'all gonna blast your way out like Butch & Sundance?

Over here the Corona thingy has necessitated us raising the situation to "Better put the kettle on!"

BP !!HOBBYHORSE!!
john t peterson

"Are y'all gonna blast your way out like Butch & Sundance?"

"Y'all?". Bless your Southern heart, BP.

J Peterson
Yankee no more
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Heavens To Betsy Colonel, you wouldn't go tellin' no lies to a pure Southern Belle now would you? ...... Bless your pea-pickin' little heart!

BP !SHOOT!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

badpenny wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:10 pmOver here the Corona thingy has necessitated us raising the situation to "Better put the kettle on!"
The corona man stopped calling at our house in 1963 so I haven't drunk any since then... so I should be safe !PRAY!!
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

badpenny wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:10 pmOver here the Corona thingy has necessitated us raising the situation to "Better put the kettle on!"

BP !!HOBBYHORSE!!

!!HYSTERIA!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

pennymachines wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:23 pm Big photo of BAC Speak Your Weight scales (Getty images).
That dang machine is a heap braver than I am.

This is a really bad photo I think it's a photocopy of a news clipping. It says slot machines being prepared for a new season on Weston Super Mare Pier in the early 60s. It claims the machines were designed and built by the pier owners!!? (would those two blokes be the pier group, and are they under pressure?)
I think I might have seen this piccy before, unless I'm mixing it up with the photo (coppin?) posted months ago of a bank of bandits and kids where the handles also seemed to attach very low on the mech.
Anyhoo I don't recognise them anybody here?
Weston S Mare.jpg

BP
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

May well be same machines as the payout tray matches the position. The Hi Tops looked like a facade to something else probably electric, which these look to be with the relay on top and wiring loom....

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7540&p=55148&hilit= ... dle#p55148
Attachments
0BD42FB6-5BD1-4E60-BE94-2787D9DBBD6C.jpeg
0BD42FB6-5BD1-4E60-BE94-2787D9DBBD6C.jpeg (48.41 KiB) Viewed 4878 times