General vintage slot machine related topics.
arrgee

Re: Arcade Photographs

Postby arrgee » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:44 pm

John T Peterson wrote:You just can't find women like that any more
They must all be locked up John :lol: unless BP you know better...................

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:12 pm

In the third "Alf Payne" photo the two boys can be clearly seen carrying the gold fish they had won on some stall. I remember that so well - it started me keeping gold fish, then tropical fish and now Marine fish. :cool:
Funny how the arcades become less "fun" as the dates increase; the machines look so boring in the later photos.

aristomatic

Postby aristomatic » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:26 pm

Here's another.

I wonder where all these are now.....
fairground slots vintage.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:53 pm

coppinpr wrote:the machines look so boring in the later photos.
Yes, as Arrgee said, post 1970 most of the interesting stuff quickly disappeared (thanks to decimalization and electrification).
The photos allow you to travel back in time and pick out the games you'd have made a bee-line for. There are some rarities to be seen. Can you put a name and maker to all of these?
spottheslot.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:59 pm

Arrgee wrote:They must all be locked up John :lol: unless BP you know better...................
Strewth ... don't involve me "Arrgee" I'm in enough trouble as it is.
aristomatic wrote:I wonder where all these are now.....
........... well the bloke in the trilby finally saved up enough and is now working on the perfume counter at Debenhams, and the Army Captain with the girl is now a postman and still wears the same hat.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:12 am

Just guessing really, 3,4,5 are Bolland machines, all single reel, 5 is a "film star" for sure, 4 could be as well 3 might be "Brooklands". 12 could be a R&W conversion using a German mech, the Satellite racer - we had at one of the recent Coventry auctions, don't remember who made 14 "Snap" guessing Streets or Jameson. 13 is a "Penny Falls". There is a nice Streets shooting range in one photo exactly like one I used to have.

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:49 pm

Lovely to see so many machines we collect in operation and as you say some rarer ones....No idea what the first two in your pictures are PM, but of the 13 I seem to have 5 of them and lovely to see a Satellite on operation as so few were made. In fact that stall seems to have most of the rarer machines you have highlighted.

1 - ?
2 - ?
3 - Bolands - ?
4 - Bolands - Screen Snapshots
5 - Bolands - Stars of the Silver Screen
6 - Whitaker Bros - Beat the Bandit
7 - Mutoscope
8 - Bolands - ?
9 - Oliver Whales - Kiss-O-Meter
10 - Brenner - Ball Past the Arrow
11 - Bryans Satellite
12 - Vale Manhattan
13 - Crompton - Penny Falls

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:39 pm

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:06 am

I've posted all of the British Pathé slot material I could find in this See it Operate thread.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Almost all of these machines have been discussed and shown on the Forum at some time, so kudos to Treefrog for being such an attentive student. !!HOORAY!!
Only one wrong - No. 3, the little known, Hooper's Screen Stars single-reeler with the front mounted turning handle. I think you're correct that the equally minimalist bandit No. 8 is another Tom Boland revamp. No marks for 'Beat The Bandit' though - because I know you have one. ;-)
No. 2 is a wall machine called Sun (possibly Brenner) which is quite similar to a Payramid.
No. 1 appears to be a dropcase game of some kind and is one of a pair in the photo. Any ideas?
Good effort coppinpr, for a bandit man, but I must ask you to write out 100 times, "I should not say Bolland when I mean Boland..." :didact:
spottheslot.jpg