General vintage slot machine related topics.
slotalot

Birnbeck pier Weston-super-mare

Postby slotalot » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:34 am

Birnbeck pier Weston-super-mare ................very sad :cry:

wembleylion

Re: Birnbeck pier Weston-super-mare

Postby wembleylion » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Birnbeck Pier
The pier suffered extensive storm damage and in 1994 was closed to the public by the local authority. The pier is currently owned by Urban Splash who hoped to restore it to include a mixed-use redevelopment, featuring a hotel, leisure and residential accommodation as they have other derelict structures thought un-saveable (not now believed a viable proposition by Urban Splash)
The Department of the Environment has granted the pier Grade II-listed status.
The Pier is deteriorating rapidly, and the only persons allowed onto the property, other than the owners, are the RNLI crew who have replaced some of the decking for their own safety and have built a temporary boat house for their two inshore boats. The only other structural work carried out in recent times took place in March 2010, when - thanks to an English Heritage Lottery grant - the cast iron trestles that were in most need of remedial work (the four nearest to the island) were refurbished to a high standard. As a result of this, North Somerset Council have brought together several interested organisations (which include North Somerset Council, English Heritage, the RNLI, the Friends of the Old Pier Society and the Birnbeck Regeneration Trust) to form a working party. It is hoped that this group will be able to put together a viable business plan in order to secure lottery funding.

For a full history, information and photographs click here. I love the water splash; bet they won’t rebuild that.
http://www.birnbeck-pier.co.uk/history.html

I hope they have better luck than those who tried in vain to save the Brighton West Pier, the remains of which stand as a monument to the incompetence and ineptitude of successive Brighton Councils to save the lovely, ornate, Grade 1 listed Victorian structure.

John

woody2

Postby woody2 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:54 pm

i remember the penny arcade on there.

it has the same problem as west pier with a competing pier, so HLF will not fund it.

as soon as the council offered residential use, the value went up 10 fold, the currant plan is for 200 flats on the headland

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:28 pm

I see this Pier is back in the news today and since the two topics here and below has deteriorated massively, I believe mainly from the big storms over the last 3 years with lots of the Pier structure gone and the building now roofless......

Help save Birnbeck Pier

9295CFA1-64F4-49DB-9C61-2BBD5417A080.jpeg
I suspect the fears mentioned above of indecision and lack of commitment has been proven.

Was interest by the below picture taken in 1998 when first being sold and the random Aristocrat mechanism abandoned on the pier head rusting away, very poignant....wonder how many machines were left by the previous owners..

61C6BEF8-6DAF-4FAD-8BAA-62374CA398A1.jpeg

I am sure I have seen below picture before either on here or postcards, but the heyday with lots of lovely cast iron machines

FC1E175E-0AF5-4DFA-A36E-EA39A62928E5.jpeg