3D printing machine parts

General vintage slot machine related topics.
arrgee

Re: 3D-printed slot machine miniatures

Post by arrgee »

treefrog wrote:So is the next challenge to make a whole Wonders machine part by part :lol:
Now that is a challenge tf !

Although on a serious note I have considered printing a scaled down small working model of a basic allwin - this would take some considerable time though.

treefrog wrote:I would never be able to use the software as technically inept :!?!:
Judging by the numerous bandit rebuilds you have done, I seriously doubt that, as with any skill it's just a matter of getting used to and familiar with the right tools for the job.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:00 pm I would never be able to use the software as technically inept :!?!:
But but but... didn't you used to work in IT? !PUZZLED!
arrgee wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:14 pm ...could be used as a basis for casting one in metal.
I guess the trick would be to upscale slightly to allow for casting shrinkage. Nice work. !!THUMBSX2!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

With the improvements in resins in the last two years the making of strong internal slot parts is what interests me. The ability to make broken or missing parts that are simply no longer available anywhere or to make and use parts while waiting perhaps years to find a real one really appeals. Even quite common parts that are often hard to find such as coin slides (especially German ones) jackpot and gold award activators. Perhaps the casting of parts from 3D made moulds might be the best way to go?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

If the industry brought out 3D filaments made of wax instead of plastics.
Then it would be ideal for doing "lost wax casting".

BP !THUMBS!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That's a point. Surely somebody already thought of this? !!IDEA!!
It would need a much lower temperature setting on the printer.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

coppinpr wrote:With the improvements in resins in the last two years the making of strong internal slot parts is what interests me.
Then the next phase of 3D printing will probably interest you Paul.... 3D metal printing. Still in its infancy with regards to hobbyists, but I am sure it will not be long before we see small units for home use. The metal, which can be steel, stainless steel, copper, etc goes through a 3 phase process:

Not sure how strong the printed metal item is, or whether it will withstand the stresses that a normal metal object would, as I said, in its infancy but an interesting development. Some of the software that converts the 3D design will also scale up the object automatically to allow for thermal properties of metal shrinkage when cooling.
joerg_gm

Post by joerg_gm »

badpenny wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:31 pm If the industry brought out 3D filaments made of wax instead of plastics.
There are some filaments (Polymaker PolyCast) and resins (PowerCast) for printing wax models with 3D printers.
Last edited by joerg_gm on Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

joerg_gm wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:41 pm
badpenny wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:31 pm If the industry brought out 3D filaments made of wax instead of plastics.
There are some filaments (Polymaker PolyCast) and resins (PowerCast) for printing wax models with 3D printers.
Typical for me that.
I once spent a fortnight designing how to fry food with water. Before I realised I'd just reinvented the pressure cooker.

Only this week I got excited when I worked out that fitting a focusable, Electro Magnet Impulse generator to the front of an emergency vehicle could paralyse a fleeing scrote's vehicle with immediate affect. Thus John Law would be able to feel their collar without chasing them through a town centre at 80 mph until they plant it through Tesco's. Things were looking hopeful until I learnt that The Soda Springs, Idaho Sherriff's Office gave up on the idea 10 years ago after Detroit started fitting electronic, drive by wire technology in their cars to control braking and steering as well as engine management. It was viewed that turning off their steering and brakes as well as their engine could be deemed as un-sportsman like in the extreme.

Oh well, never mind, back to my idea for putting rice through a popcorn maker as I think it might make a decent breakfast cereal. I'd call it Crackle, Pap and Snop.

BP %|%
stoxman22

Re: 3D printing machine parts

Post by stoxman22 »

I have been searching for some good reel tins for ages and finally got some last month. Before that I had been trying to find someone with the CAD skills I don't have to do a drawing of some reel tins so I can print some. I finally found "the person" and this is what came out. I am really pleased with the result.
Attachments
20220215_074316[1a].jpg
20220215_074331[1]a.jpg
stoxman22

Post by stoxman22 »

I finally found a machine that needed new reels, so here are my first 3D printed reels in place. They work well but need a little adjustment for Mk2 versions....
Attachments
IMG_20230616_172233562_HDRa.jpg
IMG_20230616_172233562_HDRa.jpg (197.81 KiB) Viewed 655 times
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Neat job stoxman22. I see that they are printed via the filament process. I have seen some delamination of layers with PLA filament material. Has this ever occurred with you?
stoxman22

Post by stoxman22 »

I can't answer that Arrgee. This is the first time I have done any 3D printing and it was mostly done by the guy who does a lot of 3D printing for where I work. We have made quite a few brackets and the like at work with this method and they seem to be ok but they hold sensors on machines so aren't under much stress.