General vintage slot machine related topics.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: 3D printing

Postby pennymachines » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:34 pm

I'm sure that's right OB, but the consumer technology is still in its infancy. I fear the impracticality of the present generation of printers may destroy the current market before the technology has time to mature. But I believe in the long run we'll see the arrival of low cost, high quality, multi-material 3D printers.

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:11 am

I didn't mean to be disparaging. I think the state of the consumer technology, particularly for the price, is quite remarkable. I just caution that when shopping for one of these things, treat the examples they show you with healthy skepticism. You don't know how many attempts it took, how many hours, or even if it was really made on the same machine.

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:54 am

You are not thinking big enough!!!
Take a look at this link !!THUMBSX2!!
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/lunar-3d-prin ... y?cmp-ukfb

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:05 pm

So that's why you didn't show me your workshop when I last visited.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: 3D printing machine parts

Postby pennymachines » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:33 pm

I started this thread in 2009, so it's time to see how things have progressed.

The simple answer is that affordable 3d metal printing has arrived, in the form of two reliable, high precision American machines; one just above $100,000, the other just below.

Desktop Metal and Metal X

OK, so maybe we won't all be rushing out to buy one, but the point is, the quality these lower priced machines now achieve will hopefully trigger a surge in low cost metal print shops. I'm thinking of how Prontaprint et al provided digital 2d print shops before the home printer quality/price revolution. Although currently the demand for metal printing is largely industrial, when it becomes relatively cheap and simple to reprint a worn, broken or lost metal component, the market is bound to expand.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:43 pm

I wonder what the chances are of the expansion coming from being able to walk into a 3d print shop and buying a household product or display item picked from a catalogue and printed out for you. The beauty of the 3d print shop would be it would not be restricted to one type of item, only the format of the item, so a saucepan, statuette or slot machine part would all fall into the same bracket (we hope). :o

One of the problems from our point of view is that, at the moment, 3d printing either works by printing the item from a code already available from a memory source or by copying another item it can scan. As it's unlikely there would be a code for the part we need and scanning the original would produce an exact copy of the worn or broken part... so there is still work to be done. :lol:

I remember seeing one of the first laser printers at a computer expo in Las Vegas in 1986, it was 5 feet high and 6 feet long and banished to a stand at the back of the hall. We asked if we could see it in action... When the guy, who seemed to be glad of the company, tried to run it... it wouldn't print. We left.

liquorbox

Postby liquorbox » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:33 am

3D printers are only restricted by x, y and z axis and material used.
A worn part can be scanned and a few perimeters for size input so any wear would be corrected in them perimeters.
They are even printing smaller campers now and any layout changes can be done quickly and easily.
See the link below.
The print process is slow but improvements in materials are speeding that up the more people exepiment with them.
I wouldn't doubt that soon you'll see them using two part epoxies in them if they aren't already.
This would reduce the thickness and weight of material needed thus speeding print times.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4044823/3d-p ... saskatoon/

scottie

Postby scottie » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:55 am

Hi
If you're thinking of making parts with a 3d printer I strongly agree... They work well and until original parts show up at least the game is up and running.
Have been doing it for a few years now.
Scottie
3-d copy of o.w coin chute.jpg

youngerap

Postby youngerap » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:38 am

That is fantastic, Scottie. Are the dimensions of that part true? It certainly proves that 3D printing could be a solution for replacement of low-load components.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:52 am

I keep hearing people say it's expensive, but I don't think thruppence is a lot.