New member with allwin

General vintage slot machine related topics.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: New member with allwin

Post by pennymachines »

And :WELCOME: from me too Blandy.

Those particular fancy spandrels and curly fittings can be seen on several Coin Operating Co. allwins, so I'm going to contradict Arrgee and suggest it originated in my neck of the woods, in Birmingham. It's possible of course that they revamped French allwins, but they built many machines in the 1920s and '30s. I particularly like the lovely figuring on the oak of your machine and this is another reason for thinking it's not French. French wall machines are almost exclusively made from fruitwood.

As Arrgee says, like so many games of its era, it has undergone some changes to its fixtures, fittings and felt backing. It would originally have been a reserve ball, quite similar to the Electric Allwin below, with a manual ball feed (unlike the auto-feed more typical of the German allwins). You can see some infill to the right of the striker box, where the knob for this was fitted.

Electric shock knobs were available for a pound and the pediment was two shillings and sixpence extra.
Attachments
Coin Operating Company Electric Allwin
Coin Operating Company Electric Allwin
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

I bow my head to superior knowledge Mr PM !WORSHIPFULL!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

pennymachines wrote: with a manual ball feed (unlike the auto-feed more typical of the German allwins). You can see some infill to the right of the striker box, where the knob for this was fitted.
Nice sleuthing PM, except there's a matching hole on the left door side in the same place. So most likely a pair of shocker handles I imagine. And you can see lots of empty screw holes in the upper inside door wood which would indicate where the shocker parts once lived.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Gameswat wrote:there's a matching hole on the left door side in the same place. So most likely a pair of shocker handles I imagine
Confirmed by the two semi circular cut-outs in the back-board to allow the handles to pass through.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Gameswat wrote:wood which would
Which wood would? Edward Woodward. :burp:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Gameswat wrote:Edward Woodward
"Sounds like a fart in the bath" (Noël Coward).

Well, I was just seeing if you're still paying attention Gameswat... !?!
Coin Op. Co. Success allwin
Coin Op. Co. Success allwin

The only other Coin Operating Co. allwin flyer I could find is for the Success Allwin (above), which is very similar to the Electric, with the same manual ball separator, but a bit of sleuthing on the net turned up Lot 460: A vintage oak cased glazed "Electric Allwin Deluxe" penny pinball machine which sold for £440 on 13th September, 2011 at High Road Auctions, Chiswick, W4. Here we can see the holes where the shocker handles once fitted and the manual separator knob a bit further up on the right hand side of the door. This also has the same spandrels and an identical payout cup to the ones in the old flyers (which is a bit different from the cup on Blandy's game).
Electric Allwin de luxe
Electric Allwin de luxe

I take it from this that Blandy's allwin is a bit later than these other examples, by which time the Coin Operating Company had incorporated a J&M (Saxony) style automatic ball separator. Does that make sense? Clearly Blandy's allwin originally had the ball reserve feature, as much of its mechanism is still intact. So, in conclusion, I reckon it started life as a Coin Operating Co. Electric Allwin de luxe (with auto reserve ball feature).
blandy

Post by blandy »

Thanks all for the great help, although a lot has gone over my head !PUZZLED! I have ordered the Machine Mart 200 spring collection so should be able to get one that fits. Will keep you posted how things go on,
Thanks again guys.
blandy

Post by blandy »

Hi All,
Been a long time since I've posted on here but hope your all OK. The allwin is working and has been for a while now. I have a little granddaughter that loves playing on it but the problem is as the springs that hold the return penny handle are strong ones it's very hard to turn. Would it be possible for someone to have a look at it for me and get it working so it's not hard to operate for my grandkids?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Have you tried a weaker spring on the slide return?
Attachments
return-spring-1.jpg